New Hornady SST bullet for Grendel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They are in the process of setting up a national account for us, the person assigned was out this week so, I expect to hear back from them Monday. Availability is not certain as it will be based on our willingness to commit to a specific quantity but they said they were setting up the run this month.
    Bob

Comment

• txgunner00
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Good news
      NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

I'm in.

Comment

Maybe this will answer some questions. It even gives 16" barrel ballistics.

The page you are looking for could not be located. We're sorry, but it appears the page you have requested is no longer available. Please check the URL and try again....

Thanks, Dinny

Comment

I think they are pretty conservative on the 16" barrel muzzle velocity. If it shoots 2620 from a 24", it will most likely shoot 2470 from my 16" AA barrel. I had to do a science project during my business program, and I chose to do a test on velocity differences with different powders, making assumptions before doing the testing. My assumptions proved to be wrong, since I was used to the 25-30fps rule of mv per inch of barrel length.

All my tests indicated an 18fps/inch of barrel length mv change for my 16" compared to AA 24" data. The slope is very narrow from 20-24", I know that, then starts to curve a little more as the barrel length decreases, but not by much in terms of clickable downrange value.

This new loaded ammo is another great indicator of the industry support that is steadily backing the Grendel.

Comment

• Y85
              Warrior
              • Sep 2012

So, by your models, r u thinking 2500+fps from an 18" bbl for the factory load?

Comment

Originally posted by Y85 View Post
                So, by your models, r u thinking 2500+fps from an 18" bbl for the factory load?
                It will depend on each barrel, but I haven't seen any significant deviation in mv's for same bbl lengths and loads on the forum over the years. Everything is usually within 50fps. For an 18" barrel, it wouldn't surprise me to see it hover around 2500fps at all. I would search for some mv's from other 18" owners shooting the 123gr AMAX to get an idea, because I can almost bet that Hornady is going to use the same exact powder for the 123gr SST as they use for the 123gr AMAX.

Typically, we see around 40-50fps more mv in an 18" Grendel than a 16", so not much at all. You're looking at 2" difference in drop and 30ft-lbs of energy at 500yards.

Comment

My model also would suggest 2500 ft/sec from an 18" barrel.

My concern is that it seems unlikely that Hornady would publish velocities based on models alone. A couple of possibilities come to mind to explain our confusion:
                  1. Hornady was optimistic (rounded up a bit) for the 24" barrel and pessimistic (rounded down) for the 18" barrel

2. They actually used the 14.5" barrel shown in their 8th Edition load data and a typographic error ended up with the listed length being 16"
                  I suspect there is a strong possibility that #2 is what happened since that manual shows that 29.3 grains of A 2520 will give the same 2350 ft/sec in a 14.5 inch barrel.

Comment

• Y85
                    Warrior
                    • Sep 2012

Good stuff - anybody know when(?where?) it will go on sale?

Comment

Working...
                    X