X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • IndyGrendel63

powder, powder on the wall...

Which one do I use?

I have been trying to find the "one powder" that will work with all weights in both my .223 ARs and my Grendel (again all weights). I have tried W748, RL-15, Varget, AR-comp, IMR8208XBR, TAC and CFE223 and I am just getting frustrated and running low on bullets.

That being said I also had some chronograph issues over the past year, finally resolved two weeks ago (Long story but I will never buy another PACT product again. Chrony rules!)

Now I shot some 223 stuff over the weekend and the speeds were way low from what the web sites say they should be. Could it be my new chrony? I fired some of my old standby ammo over it and they were within the margin of error so I think it is OK. Anyway, the bullets were going about 300 or more fps slower than what the manuals say. I was shooting loads with AR-comp and CFE-223, accuracy was fine but with 77 gr JHP the velocities were in the 2400-2450 fps range with bot loads (less than 1.0 gr from max listed)

OK, so does anyone have an opinion on which powder to go with and get high velocities and accuracy from most weights in both calibers? Tall order I'm sure.

Thanks,
    Indy
  • PumpActionJackson

i dont think youll find just a one powder that excels in two cartridges.

I really like H335 in .223/5.56 loads and 8202 with the 120 class in 6.5. i dont think there is a holy grail of powders as much as i wish there were. I think AA has data with accurate 2520, and it works in .223 according to my manual.
    Last edited by Guest; 11-13-2012, 03:01 AM.

Comment

Haven't tried CFE in 223 yet, but TAC is my std load with 75gr Hornady BTHP in 18" 223 and TAC works well with 100/107gr in 18/20/24" Grendels. 8208 and 75 Hornady/77 Sierra also very good in 223 and well documented in Grendel. Been working with CFE and 120/123 wt bullet in Grendel, with positive results, to date. Those would be my top three crossover powders, but results may vary acc'd to barrel length.

Comment

• Dogue
        Warrior
        • Mar 2011

If I could only pick one powder for heavy and light bullets in both .223 and 65G I'd probably go with TAC. Like bobke I've had great results with XBR and CFE in the Grendel but I haven't played with a lot of bullets weights yet and I also haven't tried those powders in .223, but I'm sure they'll both do good across a wide range of weights, just not sure if they'd be as flexible as TAC. I think there are better powders for some bullet weights but TAC seems to provide very good results under almost any pill I've tried it with in both calibers.
        Μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

• txgunner00
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

8208 has done well for me in .223 with heavy bullets. I haven't tried 55 grain bullets yet but I intend to soon. I expect it will do just as well as other powder I have used. TAC has also done well in terms of performance for me in .223 ( haven't used it in 6.5) but I don't care for how dirty it is, especially in a suppressed AR.
          NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

• IndyGrendel63

Originally posted by txgunner00 View Post
            8208 has done well for me in .223 with heavy bullets. I haven't tried 55 grain bullets yet but I intend to soon. I expect it will do just as well as other powder I have used. TAC has also done well in terms of performance for me in .223 ( haven't used it in 6.5) but I don't care for how dirty it is, especially in a suppressed AR.
            i also noticed the dirty aspect of TAC in my loading with it. It does perform very well in my 223 with 77gr. JHPs. I have tried it in the grendel as well but I haven't been able to get any good results in quite a while.

When I look at the numbers in my sierra manual TAC seems to have a little bit of an edge in the speed dept., now that I have a functioning chronograph I can actually verify this.

Comment

Here is my work with CFE with G6.5, next i will be trying it in 223,
              http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...FE-223-powder-!!!

Comment

• rickOshay
                Warrior
                • Apr 2012

Here is a link to my survey of powders with a 16" barrel. Should wrap up the same set with a 24" barrel this weekend.

Being relatively new to reloading, I have been trying a variety of powders for the 123gr AMAX trying to reproduce the commercial Hornady ammo. PA-Allen posted nice data on his favorite loads and had a brief discussion with longdayjake on the effects of burn rate and barrel length: http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthread

Comment

TAC is not bad, but is a distant 2nd to BL-C2 in my Grendel. These are the only two powders I've yet tried.

Comment

• txgunner00
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

One other thing I have noticed with TAC is it's more sensitive to temperature changes than most stick powders. I had one load I developed in the winter pop some primers in the summer.
                    NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

Working...
                    X