Hornady 123SST Load Data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hornady 123SST Load Data

With all the posts about the 123 SSTs coming out I thought I would start a post on load data.

I have never done load development on a brand new bullet. I am fairly new to reloading but I am assuming loads close to the 123 AMAX would be a good reference point? I welcome your thoughts and suggestions on what loads to start with with. I use:

Lapua brass
    CCI450s
    CFE 223 and 8208 on hand but willing to try anything

Starting powder charge suggestions?

How far off the lands to start? Maybe the 129 SSTs is a good place to start with this question. I am just not sure.

I am excited about this new bullet. This should be a lot of fun.

Using CFE223 I would start at 31g and work toward 32.5g in .3g increments. Load 5 rounds of each weight. Measure the OAL for the 123g SST in your chamber and start at a seating depth that is about .010" from throat free bore (or the lands). Choose the best group per charge weight, and shoot a larger sample at varying distances to confirm accuracy.

Comment

If you can afford QuickLoad software I recommend buying it. I've been running different scenarios and powders through QL and have narrowed my 123 SMK powder to AR-Comp. AR-Comp gives great load density and fps compared to 10x, 4198, 8208, Varget, H335 to name a few. If you provide me with COAL, barrel length, case capacity (h2o volume), bullet OAL and Min/max diameter of the boat tail and the length of the boattail; i could calc the predicted speed and pressures.

Comment

Are you loading for a bolt action or AR? Loading to the lands may not be possible in an AR or bolt action if you are using a magazine; you are constrained by the mags max internal length

Comment

BLDtyLRY:

Thanks for the replies. I am loading for an AR but from past experience it is a pretty tight chamber. I will look into getting QuickLoad. It sounds like a very useful tool. I am not sure if Hornady has posted the bullet specs on the new bullet yet though.

Take care and I may take you on your offer in the future.

Comment

Does QuickLoad have data for CFE223 and LeveRevolution yet?

Comment

• Dogue
              Warrior
              • Mar 2011

I know back in the 'old forum' days QL data wasn't ideal for the Grendel...not sure if that's changed or not.
              Μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Correct, Bill Alexander advised against using it because he had seen data that was dangerous and misleading.
                Bob

Comment

Working...
                X