Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tecknomage

best dies?

This has prob been covered , several times, but just getting into loading for Lucy ( what I call my AA Grendel overwatch) & had bad exp with early Lee Dies. ( only thing local store had in Grendel) So, since I'm gonna have to order a set, what would you recommend? I'm even considering Chamber dies.

Dave

Hi Dave, best dies are Redding, good dies are Hornady, RCBS and Forser, poor dies are Lee.
    Bob

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
      Chieftain
      • May 2012

Redding seem o be the best for Grendel I have a se of hornady and a set of redding that I count a deal on after I bought the hornady if cost isn't a factor get the redding if it is a factor I would go with the hornady in fact I will sell you mine I you want they are not doing me a whole lot of good now pm me if your interested
      Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

What is problem with Lee dies for the 6.5 Grendel?
        Thanks
        Al

Comment

I'd like to know too since I'm using Lee dies purchased in the last 6 months.

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
            Chieftain
            • May 2012

There is nothing wrong with lee dies they are just not as nice as some of the other dies I have found its more of a fit and finish factor more than function with lee products I have a casting mold but have never bought lee dies the reduced cost compared to others didn't justify not getting the higher grade dies I actually prefer dillon dies if available
            Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• LR1955
              Super Moderator
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by albe1234 View Post
              What is problem with Lee dies for the 6.5 Grendel?
              Thanks
              Al
              Al:

The sizing die is too tight in the neck area and as a result of this, they will overwork the necks so greatly that your dollar a piece Lapua brass will be toast in four or five shots, if that many.

Also, their decapping pins are too big for the Lapua small flash hole and eventually you will pull a decapping pin out of the die with the pin stuck inside the flash hole. This normally means the shell holder gets stuck on the press but sometimes it only means the case gets stuck to the shell holder. And when you do get the pin out and put it back into the decapping stem, it will pull out much easier from then on. No matter how hard you try to tighten it.

Poor design, poor quality control, overall poor dies.

Of course you can always have a machinist polish the inside of their sizing die and turn down the decapping pin. That should make the Lee dies about twice as expensive as the Redding collet dies -- which are probably the best of the dies short of custom dies.

LR1955

Comment

Are these also applicable to Hornady brass?
                Thanks
                Al

Comment

I've used Lee dies in other calibers with no problems. I have not used them for the 6.5 Grendel, but there have been many, many reported problems when used for the 6.5 Grendel. Most were internal finish problems. Some people report the work just fine so it must be an inconsistent problem.
                  Bob

Comment

• LR1955
                    Super Moderator
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by albe1234 View Post
                    Are these also applicable to Hornady brass?
                    Thanks
                    Al
                    Able:

Dies are dies. They will do the same to Hornady brass as they will to Lapua brass.

Another problem guys were having with the Lee sizing die was that it couldn't bump the shoulders back enough for the brass to chamber.

Spend the extra thirty dollars and get Redding collet dies.

LR1955

Comment

I just ordered the Hornady dies for the Grendel. Any issues with these dies?
                      Ken

Comment

• LR1955
                        Super Moderator
                        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Captk View Post
                        I just ordered the Hornady dies for the Grendel. Any issues with these dies?
                        Ken
                        Guys:

The only dies that a number of people on the forum, including me, have had problems with are the Lee dies. Very few have reported problems with other dies.

Spend the extra money for one of the other makes of dies. I always recommend the sizing die be a Redding neck collet die because the Wolf brass is thinner than the Lapua and Hornady brass. And, the IMI 7.62 X 39 brass I have is thicker. So, I have three collets and so far I have not ruined a piece of brass due to overworking the neck.

I thought the Lee seating die would work but it uses a rubber gasket affair to lock the die in place. This means inconsistent seating depth and it will loosen up very quickly.

LR1955

Comment

• Variable
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by stokesrj View Post
                          I've used Lee dies in other calibers with no problems. I have not used them for the 6.5 Grendel, but there have been many, many reported problems when used for the 6.5 Grendel. Most were internal finish problems. Some people report the work just fine so it must be an inconsistent problem.
                          Bob
                          This. I have a set of the Lee grendel dies that I bought when they first started making them. Mine have always worked fine, but as everybody else has noted, a lot folks had problems with them. If I were starting out new, I'd likely buy the Hornady dies if I were on a budget, and the Redding dies if not.
                          Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                          We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• sneaky one
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

As LR1955 always states-the Redding dies are best. I have an older Lee set, that I tweaked the H LL out of- in spare time-new caliber etc. from 4 yrs. ago.------ 3 yrs. ago I found a great price on a Forster ultra die set= they are fine,, can't override the lack of annealing idea tho-just by changing a bushing size-,,, as can be done w/ redding dies. I think it's a good idea to anneal every 6-8 shots , anyway. Someone on this forum claimed to use a Redding 6mm ppc die, then bought the proper sized bushing--all at a way cheaper price than the 6.5 Grr redding die. Do some research on here. Oh, BTW-I do use the Lee dies on the pile of AK brass I play -fireform with here & there. Gives nice tight neck tension=4-7 k., depending on manuf.-plinker ammo is the reason I still have the dies.
                            Last edited by sneaky one; 12-03-2012, 11:55 PM.

Comment

• tecknomage

Originally posted by mongoosesnipe View Post
                              Redding seem o be the best for Grendel I have a se of hornady and a set of redding that I count a deal on after I bought the hornady if cost isn't a factor get the redding if it is a factor I would go with the hornady in fact I will sell you mine I you want they are not doing me a whole lot of good now pm me if your interested
                              for some reason it will not let me PM. but yes Im intrested
                              teckserve@yahoo.com

Comment

Working...
                              X