• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blacklab
    Warrior
    • Mar 2012

Range Time

Yesterday went to the local range. Man it was colder than I dressed for 40-45 degrees clear an calm. Had several test groups going w/ the 123 horn a-max and 125 nosler partition. Useing a 18 inch AA w/ a 1/8.75 twist. Imr 8208 was the powder and loads started @ 27.8 an ran up to 28.4 with 5 shot groups, well rounds any way. With no pressure signs. Didn't have anything closer than 2 or 3 inches . Really not sure if it's still the new barrel or my loads. I measured the chamber and seated from the ogive and .20 from the lanse. My excitement an expectation was through the roof. Then to have this outcome was a kick in the nuts . Need some input fellas my coyote hunting is approaching and I what to GRENDELIZE them...... lol

Thanks
    Hey I'm not a complete idiot I have parts missing. Though some times I wonder.

Grendellizing predators as of the fall of 2012.

Small bullets that go really fast, make me giggle...........

try some factory amax as a good control, then go from there

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

I agree factory 123 grain A-Max is very accurate in the four 6.5 Grendel rifles I've been around.

Comment

• Blacklab
        Warrior
        • Mar 2012

Originally posted by ricsmall View Post
        try some factory amax as a good control, then go from there
        I might just have to try that. Thanks

Comment

• Blacklab
          Warrior
          • Mar 2012

Originally posted by Blacklab View Post
          I might just have to try that. Thanks
          BTW whats your # on jump .20 is standard I beleive should I try .25?????????

Comment

blacklab- I have an AA chamber and seat 123 amaxes .012'' off the lands- and I use CCI 450's, if that helps you any. XBR 8208 seems like it has a pretty narrow "sweet spot" for me, anyway. Do you have any CFE 223? That seems to have a wider "sweet spot".
            hope you find a good load soon- good luck coyote hunting, too.
            -mike

Comment

• Blacklab
              Warrior
              • Mar 2012

Thanks A.D.D.AR

Right now I just have 8208 the CFE is my next pound of powder. I also use the cci 450's. Gonna try a few more sets. If it doesn't get any better than I'll buy a couple bxs of horns and see if that works. With the law of averages it probably will. Thanks again......

Comment

• LR1955
                Super Moderator
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Blacklab View Post
                Yesterday went to the local range. Man it was colder than I dressed for 40-45 degrees clear an calm. Had several test groups going w/ the 123 horn a-max and 125 nosler partition. Useing a 18 inch AA w/ a 1/8.75 twist. Imr 8208 was the powder and loads started @ 27.8 an ran up to 28.4 with 5 shot groups, well rounds any way. With no pressure signs. Didn't have anything closer than 2 or 3 inches . Really not sure if it's still the new barrel or my loads. I measured the chamber and seated from the ogive and .20 from the lanse. My excitement an expectation was through the roof. Then to have this outcome was a kick in the nuts . Need some input fellas my coyote hunting is approaching and I what to GRENDELIZE them...... lol
                Thanks
                BL:

So, I take it you called your shots? If you don't know what 'calling your shots' is or don't trust your calls, I wouldn't write off your load just yet.

Sometimes guys can get so OCD about technical stuff that they think the rifle will shoot itself. I think this may be most of the problem. You spent so much time screwing around making a 'perfect' cartridge that you expected it to perform perfectly. My bet is your mind was taken up with the vision of 1/2 minute of angle groups while you were shooting, instead of what you needed to do to shoot well. Very common with guys who think 'Grendel' automatically means 'perfect accuracy'.

Try it again with your load but first, ensure your sighting system is secured to your rifle and that the sighting system actually works. Call your shots and compare your bullet holes to your calls. 3/4 minute consistently is a very good and very attainable load given a good barrel. If your AA barrel is a Shaw, it won't be as dependable as a match grade barrel made by a respected barrel maker.

Load up about forty rounds and shoot some five shot groups. If, after three or four each five shot groups it still isn't shooting, then get some 120 Sierra Match Kings and load them with 28 grains of 8208 and shoot them. If that load doesn't hold a minute or less, very consistently, something is wrong with your rifle or sighting system.

LR1955
                Last edited by LR1955; 12-18-2012, 03:24 PM.

Comment

• Blacklab
                  Warrior
                  • Mar 2012

LR1955 thanks! I did expect to shoot quaters @ 100yds "benched". With all what I have been reading it was a no brainer right, cause everthing looks good on paper. lol
                  I will work up some more loads going back to the basics and start from there. As you called it. I had hi expectations I thought within reason. I beleive with time I'll get there or close. wink. Thanks again... I give updates of course only if there in the 10 ring........\

Blacklab
                  alais
                  Mike

Comment

Working...
                  X