CFE223 and the Grendel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Overwatcher

Speaking of the 95-100 gr pills,anyone tried CFE with them?
    I'm thinking I'll will load some 95's up and give it a whirl.

Comment

• se3388
      Warrior
      • Sep 2011

CFE worked fantastic with the 100 gr Hunting Bal Tips, velocity and accuracy wise.

Steve........

Comment

how did the bullets perform on animal? I'm tired of wasting energy outside animal and want to try smaller bullets to dump energy in animal not in ground.

Comment

• Wild Geese 1
          Bloodstained
          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by the_drexelian View Post
          here it is.

thank you

Comment

• the_drexelian

I got a PM for the data page from the manual. See below.

Last edited by Guest; 10-24-2013, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by joker31 View Post
              how did the bullets perform on animal? I'm tired of wasting energy outside animal and want to try smaller bullets to dump energy in animal not in ground.
              Best results are obtained when you get an exit. Often times if you do not get an exit you get no blood trail and animals that pump blood out of their body, freely often bleed out faster than ones that only bleed internally.

Comment

• justified
                Bloodstained
                • Oct 2011

Hmm, .3 grains of CFE223 to got from 2300-2400 FPS where it takes about 1.2 grains for each other 100 fps change. I guess individual experiences may vary.

Comment

from what I have seen, cfe is almost the most ideal powder but if they could make it a little more available and a dollar or 2 cheaper per pound I'd get rid of a few different powders from my inventory and from my recommendations for the people I load for. Would be awesome if they started using the same additives in a powder I could load 300 AAC with. Right now I have 2 powders for 300AAC, 4 for 223, 2 for Grendel (Changing) and 2 for 308 and 243. I am loving the versatility of this powder, looks like 223 to 30-06 there are loads for it. but to get specialized results or optimal performance there is still better loads for certain bullets (Heavy 30-06, heavy 308) I wouldn't be surprised if a factory ammo maker started featuring it on their labels. As far as leaving a coating, I usually fire fowlers after cleaning anyway because most of my barrels shoot better slightly dirty.

Comment

Wondering when AA will start updating their Grendal load data on their website.

Comment

I'm wondering if anyone has loaded up cfe223 in a bolt action?

Comment

• bwaites
                        • Mar 2011

CFE is interesting. Its slower than Reloder 15 and Varget. What makes it work is its size and density. We always though Re15 and Varget was too slow, but its probably more an issue of not being able to get enough in the case. Leverevolution is just below it as far as speed.

Because CFE is so tiny and so dense, we can get enough in there. I'm thinking I may be able to really do some interesting things with it next time I start an accuracy node sample with my 28". I'm going to revisit BLC2 in the 28" also.

Comment

CFE seems to like a long bullet shank or heavy bullet in front of it in the Grendel. I got very erratic velocities with 107 SMK's in my testing, but I had them loaded way out on COL.

I've spoken with Bill Alexander about it, and the main concerns are what type of temp sensitivity does it have, and what's going on with the shorter shank bullets. Both Bwild97 and I have experienced crazy things with 100gr class pills, his were with the 100gr A-MAX.

I'm really interested to find out how well it behaves with the 129/130gr pills. It seems to do well right now with the 123gr, and Bwild97 has had good results with 129gr SST, 130gr Sierra Game King, and even 140gr-142gr pills.

129's are next on my list to test from a 16". I was able to get into the mid-2550's for velocity from a 16" gas gun, with no felt issues in the gas system, and no pressure signs or departures from the velocity increase trend until I got over 2650fps, with the last load at 2697fps (those started to slightly crater the primer). I kinda wrote off the heavier weight bullets from the Grendel, but CFE is changing my outlook on them, although I still feel reserved to the 129gr class as a top end for my carbine. Who knows?

As far as bolt guns, yes, BjornF16 has worked up a load with the Hornady 129gr Interbond in his 20" Savage Grendel, and I think he's around 2575-2585fps with CFE, having multiple charge weights grouped under 1.7" at 200yds. His Pac-Nor Sporter (Featherweight) barrel is a consistent laser under heated, all-day strings of fire. It behaves like a bull barrel target gun with no stringing. I watched him blast away with it for 3 days straight at BoomerShoot, and he was hitting 4" explosive targets with about an 85% 1st-round hit rate at 400yds.

Comment

LRRPF52 (or anyone); any load data for CFE223 with 120gr Nosler BTs? Sierra 120gr Pro-Hunters? I tried a search but struck out.
                            Last edited by Guest; 11-05-2013, 04:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Schwag173 View Post
                              LRRPF52 (or anyone); any load data for CFE223 with 120gr Nosler BTs? Sierra 120gr Pro-Hunters? I tried a search but struck out.
                              From bobke: http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...-Hot-cor-loads

I've been working a bit at bench/chrono with 120 Sierra spitzer-may be predecessor of Pro Hunter? In 24" Satern, 31.4 CFE and RP 7 1/2 primer in Hornady brass yields 2656/27/11, in 18" AA barrel is 2502/38/19. All in mid 90's at 1200' elev. Not match accuracy, but consistently around 1" five shot groups at bench. Certainly good enough for deer, hogs.
                              From gunrestorer: http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...-Chrony-Report

Just chronyed some new loads with the CFE powder 30grs.av. 2460 30.8gr. 2466 31gr.2478 no pressure signs 31gr. shot best so far. will load some more this week and see if it gets better. All shot with 120gr Nos. BTs.
                              Use 28.5gr for your starting load and work up.

Comment

• iceEworm
                                Unwashed
                                • Jul 2019

The tenth edition has raised the max.for 95-100 gr. to 33.5 in CFE223. More data for Grendel all around.

Comment

Working...
                                X