Placing first order at Alexander Arms, what ammo should I be looking at?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Placing first order at Alexander Arms, what ammo should I be looking at?

Since they have magazines in stock, I was looking at going through them for ammo as well. Will be buying several boxes of Wolf for plinking, but looking for something better for long shooting and hunting. Upper will probably be an older Advanced Weapons System upper, unless I get stood up on a sale again.

waiting........................................... .............

Comment

• Armored Transport

123 Lapua. Works GREAT in my gun and is the best brass for reloading..........There you go.

Comment

• BjornF16
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2011

Define long shooting and hunting a little better (more detail)...
        LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
        Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

Best of the West is on the mind, so 1000 yards, and up to Central Texas sized deer hunting.

Comment

• BjornF16
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2011

123 A-Max or Scenar for your long range target shooting...

I've taken 5 whitetails with 129SST; 2 whitetails and 1 Axis with 115 Berger. The Berger is a great plinking and varmint round. I won't use it on deer anymore because of its "explosive" tendencies (lost a lot of meat using it).

The 120 Nosler BT might be suitable for whitetail (I've never tried it).

With the release of Hornady 123 SST bullets, I expect that to become my "go to" bullet for hunting with my 18" Grendel (maybe also for my 14.5"). Until they release loaded ammo in 2013, it will be hand loads only.

For handloads, 107/120 SMK or 108 Scenar may be a good long range target round...just search the forum, plenty of info.

Buy the boxed ammo and keep the brass. If you don't hand load, you can sell it to forum members.
            LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
            Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

• skyfish
              Warrior
              • Mar 2011

I like the 123 A-max, shot better in my rifle. I'm with Bjorn though. If the 123 SST shoots good, that will be it for me. The 115 Bergers through AA shot well for me. I also handloaded some 100gr Bergers, they shot well and cycled well. The 129gr SST shot as good as anything through my rifle, FYI. I've just reloaded Hornady brass so far, once fired factory and new brass. Have 200 pieces of AA, but haven't used yet.

Comment

Working...
              X