• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rasp65
    Warrior
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by noone View Post
    The data sounds wonderful. Does anyone know why they don't make powders into ball or flakes with powders like Varget, 8205, R15, H4350, IMR4350 and similar powders? I'm guessing it has something to do with the manufacturing process required to make powders burn at that rate and temperature.
    Noone
    Ball powder are doublebased made up of nitrocellulose and nitroglycerine and stick powder is just nitrocellulose. Of the powders you mentioned H-414 is very similar to IMR-4350 in burn rate but because of the difference in makeup it is not grain for grain interchangable.

Comment

• pinzgauer
      Warrior
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by GregP42 View Post
      I thought about the less case volume, but it is only about 5cc less that the factory Hornady brass I have.
      Can't be 5cc. Maybe 5ml??? Big difference!

I had not heard the 10% less figure before, but I will get out my pipette and measure the capacity of both again. Best as I can remember right now it was 31gr water for the IMI and 36gr for the Hornady brass.
      31 grains vs 36 is just above 10 percent difference. Mine measured out as right at 10%.

Note: this does not mean 10% less performance, just that you cannot mix & match loads across real grendel and fireform 7.62x39 brass due to the lower case volume.

But then again, that's never a good idea even with different mfg brass if using max loads. Or mil 5.56 vs commercial 223 brass.

The IMI brass is a hair less efficient than highly optimized grendel. So you won't quite get the same velocity, but it should not be 10% less, it does not work that way. And you do have to work up to loads.

Comment

Originally posted by pinzgauer View Post
        Can't be 5cc. Maybe 5ml??? Big difference!
        I think 5cc is 5ml. Perhaps you are thinking of grains of water? Or do you mean 5μL?

Comment

• pinzgauer
          Warrior
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Disciple View Post
          I think 5cc is 5ml. Perhaps you are thinking of grains of water? Or do you mean 5μL?
          You are right. I was thinking there was 10ml to the CC, but they are the same. Was confusing the millimeter to centimeters relationship.

The real issue: there is no way the difference in case capacity is 5 cubic centimeters. (or milli-liters). My bet is even the whole case capacity is not even 3cc.

Comment

Working...
          X