125gr Nosler Partition Loads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As much as I like partition bullets for hunting, I think the trade off in velocity is going to end my interest in the NP. The 120 and 123gr bullets are more than enough to stop most Game I will hunt. The 125NP would be a good solid Hog round at close range but its velocity does not let it deliver its full potential. Thanks for the help on a bullet with limited published reloading data for the Grendel.

Comment

I stumbled upon this web site with a few loads for the 125NP and the 31gr of leverevolution looks like what this bullet needs to be a great hunting bullet for the grendel. The velocity for the NP with LR is 2520fps from an 18"bbl and .75MOA @100yds.

The 125NP has a BC of .449 so it should have decent range capabilities.
      What should I use as a starting load?

Comment

• pinzgauer
        Warrior
        • Mar 2011

My impression was always that the Nosler partitions needed higher velocity to expand well. IE: Sub 2000 fps may not be sufficient once you get some range in effect.

Comment

Comparing the ballistic chart and the information on the Nosler website, the NP has a minimum effective velocity of 1800fps which would be between 325 and 350 yds on the chart. That would be great for my purposes. I've loaded 25 rnds with 29.8-31.0gr of LR and will probably make it to the range next Thurs. We'll see what I get out of a 16"bbl and go from there. I've also loaded some 130 Sciroccos with LR to see how they compare.

Comment

Working...
          X