• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BjornF16
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2011

Originally posted by blackfoot View Post
    For each caliber they sell two sizes. One for expanding necks and one for turning. The expander is .001 larger than the turning mandrel, which is .001 smaller than bullet diameter. If I have a badly dented case, I neck size, then expand it, then neck size it again. I hate to work the brass more than needed, but it seems to be the only way to get the neck perfectly round again.
    I had ordered the oversized one as well. I think I'll adopt your process of sizing, expanding and sizing again. I may experiment with changing the bushing size to between steps in order to minimize working the brass.

I might just spring for 6mm PPC neck sizing die...
    LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
    Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

• BjornF16
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2011

Resizin, then using the Sinclair expanding die, then resizing again with S Type bushing die resulted in pretty uniform bullet seating force (as far as my Mark 1 hand could tell).

Question: Is there any difference between the Lee Factory Crimp Die and the Redding Taper Crimp Die?

Comment

• Drifter
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

A related article pertaining to 2-step resizing (and why it's sometimes deemed necessary):

Blogger is a blog publishing tool from Google for easily sharing your thoughts with the world. Blogger makes it simple to post text, photos and video onto your personal or team blog.
        Drifter

Comment

• Von Gruff
          Chieftain
          • Apr 2012

In the interest of accuracy and note this is for my bolt rifle and not an AR, I have used a few introduced steps as well for my case sizing.
          I de-prime in a seperate die and press then a light roll on the lube pad and a partial FLZ with the de-priming - expander stem remooved. It took a very gradual die set up to only bump the shoulder .0005 for just the lightest feel on chambering a case with the firing pin assemble removed from the bolt. All the cases are done like this then the Sinclair neck turning expander is put in the press and all cases are length checked, inside neck lubed with a very light wipe with Imperial wax on a q-tip and neck expaned. This gives me a nicely tapered and therefore self centering entry for neck sizing with concentricity between the case and the neck being the object and result. I do not size the necks other than this as it gives a nice neck tension for the bolt rifle but would be too light for an AR. Bullet seating is in Wilson straight line die and results in my rifle have showed it to be worthwhile - for me.

Edit to add - all cases are run through the tumbler for an hour to remove any lube before priming and loading.
          Last edited by Von Gruff; 01-01-2013, 07:08 PM.
          http://www.vongruffknives.com/

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Exodus 20:1-17
          Acts 4:10-12

Comment

• BjornF16
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2011

Here is what I am considering:

1. Deprime
            2. Neck size only with Redding Type S 6mm PPC die with expander ball (.292 bushing) [expander ball from Grendel full length resizing die]
            3. Tumble with SS media
            4. Full length resize with Redding Type S (.287 bushing, no expander ball; .003 shoulder set back)
            5. Seat bullet

After reading the link Drifter provided, I am hesitant to full length resize twice.
            Last edited by BjornF16; 01-01-2013, 09:27 PM. Reason: added Note

Comment

• Drifter
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by BjornF16 View Post
              Here is what I am considering:

1. Deprime
              2. Neck size only with Redding Type S 6mm PPC die with expander ball (.292 bushing) [expander ball from Grendel full length resizing die]
              3. Tumble with SS media
              4. Full length resize with Redding Type S (.287 bushing, no expander ball; .003 shoulder set back)
              5. Seat bullet

After reading the link Drifter provided, I am hesitant to full length resize twice.
              To leave myself options regarding neck bushing size and amount of neck I want to resize, I go in this order:

1) deprime, clean the primer pocket, and brush the inside neck
              2) lube, then full-length resize with expander button, bumping the shoulder back ~0.003" to 0.004" and getting the neck close to where it should be
              3) trim, chafe, debur
              4) tumble
              5) store clean unprimed brass in ziplock bags

When I'm ready to actually load:

1) using a 6mm PPC competition neck die with titanium nitride bushing, I can run clean brass through without the need for lube or tumbling again
              2) prime
              3) charge
              4) seat bullet

This method, in conjunction with the adjustable neck bushing die, allows me to adjust and experiment with neck bushing size and amount of neck sized based on brass selection, bullet selection, etc. Otherwise, I could find myself with a bunch of prepared brass that doesn't jive with a particular brass and / or bullet.

There are certainly different ways to arrive at the same destination, but this method has worked very well for me, and I feel that it leaves me the best avenue to experiment.
              Drifter

Comment

• BjornF16
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Drifter View Post
                To leave myself options regarding neck bushing size and amount of neck I want to resize, I go in this order:

1) deprime, clean the primer pocket, and brush the inside neck
                2) lube, then full-length resize with expander button, bumping the shoulder back ~0.003" to 0.004" and getting the neck close to where it should be
                3) trim, chafe, debur
                4) tumble
                5) store clean unprimed brass in ziplock bags
                What size bushing do you use in step 2?

Comment

My fired case necks only measure .003 larger than loaded cartidges, so no two steps needed for sizing. The steps I use are to get the necks round again after being flattened by the deflector or the ground. One of the problems with a good fitting chamber to neck demension is that because you only have to size minimally, when they the case necks get beat up, the minimal sizing doesn't take the flattened portion out. Usually if the .264 expander doesn't take it all out, just the very end of the neck can be run barely onto a larger expander mandrel (.308, .270, etc) and then run back into the bushing die and it's all good. I use about .002 neck tension and then seat with a Wilson die using an arbor press. No crimping.

Comment

• Drifter
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by BjornF16 View Post
                    What size bushing do you use in step 2?
                    No bushing. I use a Forster full-length Grendel resizer to bump the shoulder and size all of the neck.

I use the neck bushing die (288 bushing) to size only the top 1/3 of the neck. With some cases, the neck doesn't seem to even touch the bushing, while others it does. This is probably because I do not sort brass by number of firings. The 2-step process seems to make sorting and separating unnecessary.

And you might be surprised with the results of a very light crimp using the Lee FCD as a final touch on the leading edge of neck tension. It can turn a 3/4-moa load into a 1/2-moa (or better) load.
                    Drifter

Comment

• BjornF16
                      Chieftain
                      • Jun 2011

Any difference between Lee FCD and Redding Taper Crimp die?

Comment

• Drifter
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

No experience with the Redding crimp die.
                        Drifter

Comment

Working...
                        X