SHTF Bullet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SHTF Bullet?

Let me start by apologizing to those who find this hypothetical question silly. I am a father who tries to think ahead on as much as possible when it comes to the well-being of my family. Even with things that may seem far fetched. So with that being said:

My Grendel is really my only "practical" defense rifle, and I found myself questioning my current ammo inventory. I have a boatload of the Nosler HPBT and a few hundred of the Hornady factory A-max on hand. So varment and target ammo only. So lets say that the "zombies" are coming, is there currently a sufficient round produced and availabe for such a scenario?
  • mongoosesnipe
    Chieftain
    • May 2012

target ammo is very effective against zombies and other 2 legged unarmored foe
    Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

Didn't Hornady market some zombie killer ammo or something like that? I think you should call down there at Hornady and ask them about making a zombie load for the grendel.

Comment

Originally posted by kegs View Post
        Didn't Hornady market some zombie killer ammo or something like that? I think you should call down there at Hornady and ask them about making a zombie load for the grendel.
        Am I the only one who was nausiated by that stuff?

Comment

• cory
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2012

Originally posted by kegs View Post
          I second that! HAHA (not laughing at you laughing with you man) Seriously every round we can get produced for the Grendel is a good thing. And you can never be to cautious when it comes to the protection of your family!

I do believe in the zombie apocalypse, while I much prefer the Grendel and have a disdain for the 5.56 mm I will be utilizing my 5.56 AR at least in relatively close combat. In large part due to more available and easier to find ammo. Also, with the Grendel you REALLY need to know what lies FAR beyond your target as opposed to the much shorter max effective range of the 5.56.
          "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by bdevr View Post
            Am I the only one who was nausiated by that stuff?
            I'm so sick of zombie this zombie that. I just wish it would fade away.

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
              Warrior
              • Oct 2012

It generally wasn't my cup of tea either, but I warmed to it in light of the fact that it brought a vast number of people around to thinking about the fundamental nature of society and how it works. With a spoonful of sugar people that are not necessarily like us come to think about food, water, clothing, shelter, and security as something they are interested in rather than interested in taking for granted. If that isn't a very compelling argument...hey...it ain't the damn Kardashian people...there is nothing remotely worse than that.

Oh...almost forgot OP...to my way of thinking...the 123 SST's seem pretty sick for outdoor use, and the 85 grain seem wonderful to have in an alternate mag for inside or when you just absolutely need there to be no overpenetration.
              Last edited by KentuckyBuddha; 12-28-2012, 10:20 PM.

Comment

• BjornF16
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2011

Originally posted by parallax View Post
                I'm so sick of zombie this zombie that. I just wish it would fade away.
                We're surrounded by Zombies already...

LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
                Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

• BjornF16
                  Chieftain
                  • Jun 2011

I think the the 123 A-Max and 120 Nosler BT would be just fine for 2 legged critters...maybe a 100 grain class bullet like the 100 Berger would be better!

I'm running 110 grain V-Max in my 300 BLK; 55 grain V-Max in my .223; and have 123 A-Max at the ready for my Grendel...
                  LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
                  Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

• sneaky one
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Bjorn, I'm loaded for 6.5 G.--95 Vmax for house -& political zombie threat, and anyone mentally ill- that lives w/ his mom-then whacks her to get the guns--to go on a rage shooting.

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
                      Warrior
                      • Oct 2012

I have not tried it yet, but this made me decide to try the 85, as even with swede, it appears the back of the pineapple is still intact

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
                        Chieftain
                        • May 2012

Hornadys zmax is just vmax and amax bullets with green plastic tips instead of red its good ammo but its just a marketing gimmic

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
                          Warrior
                          • Oct 2012

true, but the zmax is the same as the vmax or critical defense rounds with a different color AND they are sold in 500 round packages and are cheaper that way

i like cheaper : )
                          Last edited by KentuckyBuddha; 12-29-2012, 12:48 AM.

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
                            Chieftain
                            • May 2012

If you are looking for the cheapest good bullet there are cheaper options than zmax the. Midwayusa dog town bullets are a nice option in a hp or you can go itch a fmj even cheaper

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
                              Warrior
                              • Oct 2012

I didn't see dogtown pills in 6.5 but i am sure gonna try them in others!!

Comment

Working...
                              X