Bent case neck safe for reloading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bent case neck safe for reloading

Are these safe for reloading?? Will the die fix the dent in the neck???
    Attached Files

Yup. Very common occurence when the spent brass goes flying. Run it through the resizing die and don't give it another thought.

Comment

Thanks. Just getting into reloading so just making sure

Comment

Do a search for 'ejector spring mod'-may mitigate some or most of issue. A small piece of female side of Velcro on deflector shield finishes the job.

Comment

I did the Velcro thing just haven't had time to shoot yet to see how it works.

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
            Chieftain
            • May 2012

A pice of soft Velcro on the deflector as mentioned above does a very good job of keeping cases pretty and a brass catcher to keep them from flying off and landing on concrete/dirt and getting damaged and dirty does a nice job as well I use one at the out door range with auto rifles if nothing else but to control the flying brass and save the hassle of chasing it down especially with Grendel brass that runs $0.75 a pop I worry less about 556 brass but still usually use a catcher
            Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• michaelmew

Originally posted by mongoosesnipe View Post
              ...a brass catcher to keep them from flying off...
              Which one are you using? The one I got (and the name escapes me) is next to worthless so far for me. The spent cases jam up at the ejection port instead of going down into the bag for the catcher. It only works slightly better than my friend trying to catch them with his bare hands

-mm

Comment

Tactical Brass Catcher works great for me. It is pricey, but worth it.

Comment

• BjornF16
                  Chieftain
                  • Jun 2011

I'll sometimes just use a towel draped over the optic to catch the brass...when I remember to bring one ;-)
                  LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
                  Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

• Dogue
                    Warrior
                    • Mar 2011

I sometimes use a UTG brass catcher (it's the only thing I'll own made by them). It works well but you need to open up the mouth a little and make sure it's on as far back as it can go. With .223 it's almost 100% but with the Grendel I still have some FTE's likely caused by the catcher.

The towel seems like a simple solution that I haven't heard of yet...I may give that a try.
                    Μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

• skyfish
                      Warrior
                      • Mar 2011

I have a follow up question on this one. I see a standard die working great with this bent neck. (I use a std Hornady die). But a bushing die, doesn't use an expander(at least my Creedmoor doesn't). How would it get the dent out?

Comment

• Von Gruff
                        Chieftain
                        • Apr 2012

This where a neck turning gear can be advantagous. The Sinclair expanding mandrel die with the 264 mandrel for $29 will sort the dents then your bushing die will take care of the sizing. http://www.sinclairintl.com/reloadin...prod38807.aspx
                        Click on the details panel for caliber choices.
                        Last edited by Von Gruff; 01-06-2013, 05:34 PM.
                        http://www.vongruffknives.com/

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Exodus 20:1-17
                        Acts 4:10-12

Comment

Working...
                        X