Anyone shooting cast bullets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone shooting cast bullets?

As a cheaper alternative I shoot a lot of cast bullets through my guns and use them for hunting. I am working with others on another site to develop a mold to cast a 6.5 bullet that will perform in the Grendel. If anyone is interested or just wants to help in the design go to:

I'm sure there are some here that are opposed to shooting cast bullets through AR's but it does work very well. And it provides an inexpensive (for now) source of bullets. I will not get the full potential range with cast bullets But in my opinion with the right recipe accuracy is still attainable.

There are people here who do cast for their grendel. Take a read through this thread:
    Does anyone have a good source for a relatively inexpensive 6.5mm bullet? I have a pile of 7.62 brass that I plan to form and load for basic practice shooting and would like to do so as painlessly to my wallet as possible. Yes, I know: Wrong gun for plinking :o

Comment

Looking at your thumbnail, weirsy, one could guess that you may have shot, or been involved with, something that pushes projectiles a tad faster that cast lead can handle...

Comment

When I retired they wouldn't let me keep one so I had to find other hobbies that made a big boom.

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
          Chieftain
          • May 2012

Seaco makes a nice 140 spitzer http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/...roductId/16905 and given the reduced velocity the lower powder capacity isn't really an issue I have considered getting one to play with though the lead gas blow back is a concern I plan to run a adjustable gas block so I could turn the gas off and use it as a bolt gun while shooting lead although by the time you factor in the gas cheek equipment and labor it's not buch cheaper than jacketed bullets I consider my casting more of a hobbie than a practical money saving option for shooting at least for small calibers any way
          Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

Originally posted by wiersy111 View Post
            When I retired they wouldn't let me keep one so I had to find other hobbies that made a big boom.
            I can relate - mine were air-delivered.

Comment

Originally posted by mongoosesnipe View Post
              ...although by the time you factor in the gas cheek equipment and labor it's not buch cheaper than jacketed bullets I consider my casting more of a hobbie than a practical money saving option for shooting at least for small calibers any way
              You could, alternatively, go with a very heavy cast roundnose or broad flatnose (160 - 180 or more grain). The maximum velocity for these is not much above the velocity limit for some of the better lead alloys. Also, use a powder that is a tad on the fast side and the increased pressure will improve obturation and possibly delay the onset of leading.

Comment

Working...
              X