Brass failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it is two things. CoolBarrelBill hit on the primary reasons. Combine over sizing with hot (they don't even have to be max) loads, and I am surprised that your brass lasted 6 firings.

To get the longest life out of brass, you have to size them as little as possible in order to reduce the expansion (during firing) and compression (pushing the shoulder too far back), use moderate loads only, and anneal the necks (not the base or anywhere near the base). Those three things will help your brass last much longer.

If you use one of the gauges that you put on the datum line at about the midline of the shoulder, you can find out very closely about what the length of your chamber is. There is of course some expansion and springback during and after firing. But measuring at the datum line before and after sizing will tell you how much you are setting the shoulder back. I like to set the shoulder back about .002 thou for semi-autos. For a single bolt gun, I only neck size. If you are setting the shoulder back .009 thou, that could easily explain why your cases are separating.

Also make sure to trim brass to the proper length, and that case necks don't thicken too much. Either of those will cause the bullet to be held too tightly in the throat and raise pressure much more than you expect.

When you fire the round, the only place the brass can go after it has filled the chamber cavity is forward toward the throat/barrel. This (along with sizing) causes the case necks to get longer, and can also cause neck thickening. But usually, length is the issue.
    Last edited by Guest; 05-15-2011, 03:06 PM.

Comment

• bwaites
      • Mar 2011

noone,

Have you actually had to trim Grendel brass? I've got 20+ firings on some of my Lapua and AA brass, and I've never had to trim or anneal. I get about 3 split necks per 100 each time I cycle brass after 15 or so firings. That means I'm losing 15-20 pieces per 100 after 20 firings. I think I've gotten my moneys worth!

I would agree that annealing might extend the life of the brass some, but when I'm getting 15 firings with no brass loss, I doubt that the expense/time is really worth it.

Comment

Bwaites,
        Does the Lapua brass have a smaller flash hole than normal?

Comment

• bwaites
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Nimrod View Post
          Bwaites,
          Does the Lapua brass have a smaller flash hole than normal?
          What's normal? It has the PPC spec flash hole, as I understand it. Once in a while I used to find few that caught on my depriming pin, but none in the last year or two.

Comment

Is the flash hole in the Lapua brass smaller than the hornady brass.

Comment

• LR1955
              Super Moderator
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Nimrod View Post
              Is the flash hole in the Lapua brass smaller than the hornady brass.
              Nimrod:

In answer to your question, 6 PPC flash holes were and still may be slightly smaller than US small primer flash holes. When the AA / Lapua brass first came out guys were getting the decapping pin stuck inside the Lapua / AA brass periodically. This seems to have ended. It didn't happen for all of the Lapua brass, maybe one in a hundred.

Just note that the PP brass (Wolf) uses a large rifle primer and the loads in the AA load data are identical to the loads using the small primer brass.

The flash hole has nothing to do with headspace separation if that is what you are getting at.

LR1955

Comment

No, wasn't thinking that. Just heard a lot of good about Lapua brass and thinking about giving it a go.

As for my issue I ordered a no go gauge and I'm foot to check the chamber as you advised. $30 gate is cheap insurance.

I appreciate everyone's advice and I will update on what I find. Hopefully I can back the die off a quarter turn, drop .2 gr of powder and be.good.

Comment

Working...
                X