Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ducks-and-bucks

Ladder testing questions....

I wanted to post on this subject just to make sure I have my thinking right and am doing it right.... 6.5 Grendel, Reloader 15, AMAX 123 boat tail, lapua brass, federal match primers.

I loaded ten different charges of two rounds... example: two@ 27, two@27.3, two @27.6.... etc etc etc. They are in three grain increments.. All the exact same except for the powder charge.

I will then use a large say foam board about the size of a poster board, run a vertical line down the center, then a few horizontal lines across the board spaced the same length apart. I'm going to stick a small orange sticker target on the vertical line about 3/4 way up the poster board...

AT WHAT RANGE IS OPTIMUM TO SHOOT A LADDER TEST?

I then snipe at the given range at the orange sicker target only and let the shots fall where they may...

DO I USE TWO IDENTICAL TARGET POSTER BOARD SET UPS AND SHOOT ONE ROUND OF EACH TEN I HAVE LOADED AT EACH TARGET TO GET TWO POA / POI REFERENCES? OR LOAD MORE AND SHOOT 3 SHOT GROUPS AT EACH TARGET?

At the conclusion of the testing I should be able to see clearly a given powder charge range where it gets closest to the accuracy node my barrel likes... not saying they will be closet to the POA, but we will be looking at the tightest POI... correct??

SCHOOL ME, PREFECT MY THINKING / TEST HERE...

Thank you in advance! - (CAP TYPING IS QUESTIONS I NEED AN ANSWER TOO....)

You need to shoot early in the morning (8 to 9) to eliminate the wind at 100 yds minimum using three shot groups. Use a target you can clearly see with crosshairs at the highest power available This target is from the 6br site. Alliant powders require a narrow window for best results. .3 tenths is ok, but final results need to be bracketed by one tenth on either side.

Comment

Some good info on ladder testing here:
      I shot this ladder test last weekend at 250 yds. Results were good. I've narrowed my range down to 27.6-28.0 and will shoot some more tests and chrono data this weekend. I could go a little hotter but I have found I get random fliers when pushing the edge. I tried the sharpie marker on the bullet trick for the first time and

Coloring the bullets really makes it easier.

Comment

• Von Gruff
        Chieftain
        • Apr 2012

And try to get at least a 200yd test as there may not be enough dispersion to get a reliable reading at 100 yds. Fire one shot of each load on each board and compare the node on the two sheets as they should give a clear indication of where the next testing should begin. You may have a node that has a 4 shot preference (as in the link that davidj posted) and this is when five shot groups covering that spread need to be tested.
        http://www.vongruffknives.com/

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Exodus 20:1-17
        Acts 4:10-12

Comment

Working...
        X