• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • grendelnubi
    Warrior
    • Apr 2017

My AR 120 Gold Dot loads

I realize the 120 GD's has hit the market again so someone my be looking at doing some load development for them. I wanted to share what I have been hunting with for over the last 3 years with a lot of success. No animal has taken a single step. Farthest shot was 165 yards on a pig. Most of my deer shots were from 75 to 125 yards.

My platform is a Odin Works 18" DMR profile AR. I use what some refer to as "Moscow Match", Wolf steel case (pulled the projectiles and powder) and replaced with the my load and 120 Gold Dot. That way, no worries with loosing brass. At little over 2400 fps is a sweat spot for my setup.

image.png
    For my hunting zero, I use a target size of 3 inches since I mostly neck shoot giving my a point blank range of 190 yards. Changing target size to 5 inches will give you are point blank range of 224 yards depending on scope height. Based on my setup, here are my details:
    Near Zero: 35 yards
    Far Zero: 164 yards
    Minimum PBR: 7 yards
    Maximum PBR: 190 yards
    Sight-in at 100yds: 1.49" high

These are my loads as reference points. Use at your own risk.
    image.png
  • Coop
    Unwashed
    • Jul 2018

Nice. Should work great.

Comment

• ported45
      Warrior
      • Feb 2018

Second load is what I am using in my Ruger Predator. Runs 2512 fps at the muzzle out of the 22" barrel. Haven't got to give it the meat test yet.

Comment

• grendelnubi
        Warrior
        • Apr 2017

In my RAP, I'm running the 120 Gold Dot, using Starline brass, COAL is 2.283, 31.5 gr LVR, at 95° it runs about 2600 fps, and at 60° it runs about 2560 fps. Based on my observation, this suggest LVR temp sensitivity is around 1.48 fps per degree. Also in cooler temps, the SD numbers are much better so this may play into the TS figures I shared. It would require more testing to determine the actual TS numbers but these are what I have observed.

Comment

Working...
        X