• Show
Clear All
  • denimdeerslayer
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2013

Need info on case

• bwaites
    • Mar 2011

Thats a special case used to measure the optimum cartridge length. The base is drilled and threaded to fit onto the Hornady gauge. Its a tool, not to be confused with a loadable case.

They take a Grendel case, and make the mods to the case to make it fit precisely.

Great tool for adjusting bullet seating depth to optimize accuracy.

Comment

• denimdeerslayer
      Bloodstained
      • Jan 2013

Thanks, at the price per I fingered it wasn't normal but also did not know what it was for.

Comment

I use these for all of my bolt guns. They are essential in non-magazine fed guns to optimize accuracy. In they Grendel they are totally useless for two reasons. First, the magazine determines the COAL and therefore seating depth. Second, the Grendel throat is designed to compensate for this by making seating depth non-critical.

Comment

• bwaites
          • Mar 2011

Actually, they are quite useful in determing max COAL with bullets that might not be usuable at max mag length.

I also us them for my single loaded rounds which I shoot in long range matches like F class, where you must single load. I can load Berger VLDs way out past 2.3 in my rifle.

Comment

• Dogue
            Warrior
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by GFbobcat View Post
            I use these for all of my bolt guns. They are essential in non-magazine fed guns to optimize accuracy. In they Grendel they are totally useless for two reasons. First, the magazine determines the COAL and therefore seating depth. Second, the Grendel throat is designed to compensate for this by making seating depth non-critical.
            Lots of bad info here ^.

Several rounds would jam into the lands if loaded at mag length in the Grendel (most 120g bullets are a good example). And, the compound throat does not make seating depth "non-critical" but it does allow for a variety of different bullet shapes to work efficiently.
            Μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Proper Single Loading

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
              Actually, they are quite useful in determing max COAL with bullets that might not be usuable at max mag length.

I also us them for my single loaded rounds which I shoot in long range matches like F class, where you must single load. I can load Berger VLDs way out past 2.3 in my rifle.
              Bill,
              I have heard many thoughts on single loading of the AR. What is your take on it? Mag fed? Drop in chamber?

Comment

• bwaites
                • Mar 2011

I load off a sled, like this:

Keeps the bullet from hitting the feed ramps and possibly dinging the nose.

Comment

• Lead Chucker

Originally posted by GFbobcat View Post
                  I will disagree here alos. A lot of my grendel reloads are not loaded to mag length, my grendel just doesn't like them set to that length. Most are quiet abit under it.
                  I use the wooden dowl and rod stops methed for getting my OAL.

Comment

My information on Grendel throat design and "non-critical" seating depth came from an extended conversation with Mr. Alexander. The dummy case serves only one purpose, to determine the contact point between ogive and lands. I meant to say the magazine dimension determines "maximum" C.O.A.L. If you load short for bullet jump, the dummy case provides a "starting point" from which to back off. For those of you who load short, you must balance accuracy with reliability, as you increase the probability of the round moving forward in the magazine from recoil and risking feed problems.
                    Last edited by Guest; 02-23-2013, 06:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X