X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spoonbill88
    Unwashed
    • Dec 2020

I recently bought some 120 gmx before reading about this.. how can i go about cuttin them down.. 18in barrel lookin to take 300 yard shot a deer or hog

Comment

• sneaky one
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

You will need a lathe of some type, with zero runout. Bullet has to be kept cool, otherwise plastic tip will overheat , and ooze out. Good luck on your quest.

I just got a box of 140 GMX, to cut down. 100-102 gr. is the goal. It's the international version- designed for scandanavian moose hunting in short range . Tip is flat, it's designed to open at lower speeds.

We'll see.

Welcome aboard spoon!

ricsmall - couple years ago I sent him Gmx in 105 trim, he dropped a deer @ 325 yds with it.
      Last edited by sneaky one; 01-06-2021, 10:18 PM.

Comment

• Spoonbill88
        Unwashed
        • Dec 2020

Thanks excited to find new info and loads. 140s sounds like i pretty acceptable bullet after cutting down im all about tryin to get proper expansion at the diatances im looking pull off a shot.. Sooo i dont supposed ud be willing to let me ship some to ur for assistance .. at a price of course lol

Comment

• daddyflea
          Unwashed
          • Feb 2019

I kill a lot of Hogs and out of the Grendel the 120gr Soft Point is just not fast enough to put them down. I used 27grs H335 and only got 2200fps which in my opinion was too slow for the bullet to perform. I am now using 100gr Sierra Varminters with 29gr H335 and I am getting 2500fps. Mind you this is actual speed from an 18" barrel not the 24" that most of these Factories use to test their bullets. These 100gr bullets seem to work real well but I think penetration is lacking for really big hogs. On a Deer they should slam them pretty good.
          Last edited by daddyflea; 01-07-2021, 06:48 PM.

Comment

• Spoonbill88
            Unwashed
            • Dec 2020

Sweet thanks for info i also have 18". I only have cfe223 and leverevolution. Just got some 100gr tac tx some cavity back 118gr and the 120 gmx. Most shots are around 50yards but on accasion deer cross around 325 yards and want to be able to take those shot most shots at 50. ards are all hogs.

Comment

• daddyflea
              Unwashed
              • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Spoonbill88 View Post
              Sweet thanks for info i also have 18". I only have cfe223 and leverevolution. Just got some 100gr tac tx some cavity back 118gr and the 120 gmx. Most shots are around 50yards but on accasion deer cross around 325 yards and want to be able to take those shot most shots at 50. ards are all hogs.
              I got interrupted when posting the above post. I noticed on the big Hogs 250+ that they would go down but a lot were getting up to run off. It was even worse with the little Hogs. This was tested on several hundred Hogs that were shot in actual hunting conditions and Ear Hole shots were not considered. I tried the 120s to find that when they fell they stayed down but the bullet was just not delivering the shock it needed. A lot were pass through. Since getting Chronograph, I found that most of the Factories are giving FPS values that are in 24" barrels and actual speeds were right at about 200fps slower than advertised out of an 18" barrel with a good safe reload. Best results were obtained in all situations with the 100gr Varminters by Sierra.

Comment

• Spoonbill88
                Unwashed
                • Dec 2020

Thanks for the info ever messed with 90gr speer tnt?

Comment

• ricsmall
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2014

Originally posted by daddyflea View Post
                  I got interrupted when posting the above post. I noticed on the big Hogs 250+ that they would go down but a lot were getting up to run off. It was even worse with the little Hogs. This was tested on several hundred Hogs that were shot in actual hunting conditions and Ear Hole shots were not considered. I tried the 120s to find that when they fell they stayed down but the bullet was just not delivering the shock it needed. A lot were pass through. Since getting Chronograph, I found that most of the Factories are giving FPS values that are in 24" barrels and actual speeds were right at about 200fps slower than advertised out of an 18" barrel with a good safe reload. Best results were obtained in all situations with the 100gr Varminters by Sierra.
                  Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• drewsbow
                    Warrior
                    • Nov 2018

I love the 120 gmx in my bolt gun bang flop every time

Comment

• Texcl2
                      Warrior
                      • Sep 2020

Last edited by Texcl2; 01-08-2021, 01:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X