Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hill.brandonj

Expectations

What should my expectations be this weekend. I am taking out 129 ssts loaded with blc2 and accubond same powder. Might get time and load both also with cfe. If I accomplish xxxx? I am doing pretty good. Sixteen inch AA gun

Also much appeeciAted some loads with same bullet powder and experience Thanks guys!

I'm always looking for sub-moa, so far the Nosler 120 BT has shot the best. I've got some 129 SSTs loaded up with 8208(25.4-26.6, .3g increments) but haven't got to the range yet.

Comment

I think a reasonable expectation is 1.5 MOA unless you happen to find a combo your rifle likes. My very best AR's will shoot groups as large as 2 MOA with some loads using the same care and precision as loads it likes that will shoot .5 MOA.
      Bob

Comment

This ^ Especially with the 129gr SST. Generally speaking, it isn't the most accurate bullet, but Bill A. describes its performance on medium game as "murderous". I have some 129gr SST groups at 200yds that were 3", while others were 2", from a 16" AA Grendel barrel.

I have 200yd groups with the 123gr AMAX Hornady factory load that range from 1.69" to 2.18". Either way, you should have no problem placing a 129gr SST into a 10" vital zone on an animal at 300yds, as long as your zero is in the middle of your groups, and you can adjust for elevation and wind at that distance. With a 200yd zero, 2350fps muzzle velocity, you will be 2.3" high at 100yds, and 11" low at 300yds, so either a reticle hold or turret adjustment would be needed for 300yds, a range that is just outside the average hunter's high-hit probability capability.

Comment

• hill.brandonj

I was gonna get a load that was decent. Stick with it. Three inch at 200 would tickle me oink for a whitetail load. No shots on my farm can be over 350 and I doubt I'd shoot that far unless it was a "king watoosie" that wouldn't give me a better option shot wise. Then once the load is hammered out. Gonna zero dead nuts at two hundred

Comment

I've been shooting 123 grain STT's loaded by Precision Firearms. With my 16" barrel, I have consistently grouped in the .5"-.75" range with 5 shot groups at 100 yds. I'm getting 2350 fps out of these loads with my barrel.

Comment

• hill.brandonj

cool may try and see about getting some of those

Comment

Working...
              X