Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • neandrakall

Superformance grendel loads???

Has anybody loaded up any superformance loads that performed?
  • LR1955
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by neandrakall View Post
    Neandrakall:

Define 'superperformance'.

And, if a load is already a 'superperformance' load, why would anyone ask if it performed?

LR1955

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
      Warrior
      • Oct 2012

I am pretty sure that powder takes too much room to work all that well. In stuff like .243 where you have more room it is just dandy though. For Grendel the cool kids are using CFE 223, 8208, etc. All the best bub.

Comment

• bwaites
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by neandrakall View Post
        Are you referring to using the powder Hornady and Hodgdon call "Superperformance"? If so, that powder is a little too slow for the Grendel.

Comment

• neandrakall

Thanks fellas.

Comment

If I may have some input, this thread seems like a place to ask a couple of questions. First let me state that I have been out of the various games for years. Now that I am back, I find that I am a Grand Senior. Whoopee! I find new projectiles, powders, etc, along with a new cartridge....all hail Grendel!! If anyone can give me a head start to loading exceptionally accurate ammo, I will be very grateful. I like long ranges and small groups for which your suggestions will be especially appreciated.

JLB

Comment

Originally posted by JLB View Post
              If I may have some input, this thread seems like a place to ask a couple of questions. First let me state that I have been out of the various games for years. Now that I am back, I find that I am a Grand Senior. Whoopee! I find new projectiles, powders, etc, along with a new cartridge....all hail Grendel!! If anyone can give me a head start to loading exceptionally accurate ammo, I will be very grateful. I like long ranges and small groups for which your suggestions will be especially appreciated.

JLB
              Welcome. I would suggest ladder-testing your loads at distance. The ladder test is basically a fast and more effective way to find your system's accuracy potential based on a proven concept dealing with barrel harmonics, where the optimum charge weight and velocity determine your accuracy nodes.

There are threads on it, but here's a detailed discussion, with 3D modeling that better explains it: http://www.varmintal.com/amode.htm

There are two different ways to approach it, one being the strict ladder test, and one being OCW. I like to run a few batches of ladders to confirm my nodes. Instead of doing it with 5-round batches of the same weight, we are cutting to the chase by loading only single charge weights in ascending strings and shooting at distance. This is really more appropriate for barrels that have high accuracy potential, as lower grade barrels will typically have a larger shot pattern, although there are exceptions.

Comment

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
                Are you referring to using the powder Hornady and Hodgdon call "Superperformance"? If so, that powder is a little too slow for the Grendel.
                Do not powders that work with heavy 223/556 loads usually do ok in the Grendel? Hornady Loads their 75 gr OTM with "Superformance."

Comment

• Drifter
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by JLB View Post
                  If anyone can give me a head start to loading exceptionally accurate ammo, I will be very grateful. I like long ranges and small groups for which your suggestions will be especially appreciated.
                  A significant factor will be case prep and consistent neck tension. From a component standpoint, Lapua brass (including AA) is often considered the best, but good results can also come from Hornady brass. In my experience, I find the Hornady 123gr A-max to be the easiest bullet to dial in for the Grendel, and I view AR-Comp as the most forgiving powder for the cartridge.
                  Drifter

Comment

• Drifter
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by MTNmyMAG View Post
                    Do not powders that work with heavy 223/556 loads usually do ok in the Grendel? Hornady Loads their 75 gr OTM with "Superformance."
                    Perhaps you're more informed that I am, but I'm not convinced that every Superformance factory load from Hornady uses Superformance powder.
                    Drifter

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
                      Warrior
                      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Drifter View Post
                      Perhaps you're more informed that I am, but I'm not convinced that every Superformance factory load from Hornady uses Superformance powder.
                      I am reasonably confident I recall from talking to somebody from Hornady who said there are many different flavors of "Superformance" used in factory loads, but just the one flavor sold as powder.

Comment

Originally posted by Drifter View Post
                        That may well be the case, I could have sworn I had seen load data for 75 gr OTM over Superformance, but I cant find any now

Comment

• bwaites
                          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by MTNmyMAG View Post
                          Hornady uses a family of factory "Superperformance" powders for their various Superperformance loads. The powder sold as Superperformance is not necessarily the same as any of those.

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
                            Warrior
                            • Oct 2012

I think the reason I brought it up was the Superformance line tends to do well in shorter barrels and I didn't want to go over 20" for the Grendel. I believe the fellow said they had 30 different Superformance blends. He also said to not hold my breath on them doing one special for Grendel as well. : (

Comment

• Drifter
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by KentuckyBuddha View Post
                              I believe the fellow said they had 30 different Superformance blends. He also said to not hold my breath on them doing one special for Grendel as well. : (
                              Leverevolution and CFE-223 would likely qualify as "superformance" in the Grendel.
                              Drifter

Comment

Working...
                              X