• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tackdriver
    Warrior
    • Feb 2013

are my fps goals possible

I enjoy long range shooting and want to stretch my grendles legs. I have come to the conclusion that I want to try and get a 120 grn bullet up to 2800 fps so it will have similar drop to my .308 at 1000 yds. I have a 24" bull barrel for a launching pad. I was wondering if someone has already cooked up the recipe? Its a 1:9

I also don't know the maker of my barrel, can't find any identifiers, any ideas?

A 120gr at 2800fps is 130fps faster than the fastest max load from AA for the 120gr Norma from a 24" barrel.

You can push the Moly-coated 108gr Lapua Silver Scenar to 2790fps on top of TAC, however. The 108gr naked will run up to 2760fps. There is also a new 100gr Lapua Scenar-L, a 120gr Scenar-L, and a 136gr Scenar-L.

The 108gr Scenar is a good bullet for getting velocity and higher BC. If you can't find those, then run a 107gr SMK with BL-C(2) or TAC up to 2730fps.

Do you have a copy of the 6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbook? It has industry pressure-tested load data from AA, Hodgdon's, Lapua/Vihtavuori, Ramshot, & Accurate powders.

Comment

• LR1955
      Super Moderator
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by tackdriver View Post
      I enjoy long range shooting and want to stretch my grendles legs. I have come to the conclusion that I want to try and get a 120 grn bullet up to 2800 fps so it will have similar drop to my .308 at 1000 yds. I have a 24" bull barrel for a launching pad. I was wondering if someone has already cooked up the recipe? Its a 1:9

I also don't know the maker of my barrel, can't find any identifiers, any ideas?
      TD:

Sure you can.

First. Get a supply of bolts because you will shear bolt lugs at a rate of probably one bolt every every twenty shots. Until you blow your upper apart which will probably happen within a couple hundred shots given it is even possible to achieve that 2800 fps velocity with a 120 out of a Grendel case without the bullet becoming a instant bore obstruction on the first shot.

Second. If you can even get 2800 fps with a 120 from a Grendel without blowing the rifle up on your first shot, for that first couple hundred rounds before your upper does blows up, you will go through brass very quickly. Large primer brass is a no go because you will blow the primers on the first shot. So, buy a supply of dollar plus a piece Lapua brass with small primer pockets and you probably won't blow the primers on the first shot. I say a good supply because your Lapua brass will be one shot brass, even if you don't blow the primer on the first shot.

Third. Get a good health insurance policy that covers re-constructive surgery so when your upper does blows apart, you can get your face and hands put back together.

Or -- you can buy a .260 Remington and get .260 performance without blowing up anything!

LR1955

Comment

I'm not sure but I think LR1955 doesn't think it's a good idea. The Grendel has it's limits, it's best to stay within them.

Comment

• tackdriver
          Warrior
          • Feb 2013

LR1955, if I wanted a smart ass answer I would of just asked my wife. A simple very bad idea would suffice

Comment

• Von Gruff
            Chieftain
            • Apr 2012

I get 2700fps comfortably with accuracy from the 123gn A max from my Grendel Max (Mini Mauser bolt rifle) and the 21 in barrel so if you were to shorten your barrel by the case neck length difference (between the Grendel and the Grendel Max being .02) and rechamber with a GM reamer and run it as a single shot, maybe even remove the gas tube and run a manual bolt and with the 24in barrel I think you would certainly get very close to your 2800fps. I ran up to 2730 in testing and with 3 in more barrel you might get there IF there was an accuracy node that matched your velocity requirment.
            http://www.vongruffknives.com/

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Exodus 20:1-17
            Acts 4:10-12

Comment

• tackdriver
              Warrior
              • Feb 2013

Thanks for the help. I might just start working on grendel bolt gun to see how hard you can push it and how far.

Comment

• LR1955
                Super Moderator
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Von Gruff View Post
                I get 2700fps comfortably with accuracy from the 123gn A max from my Grendel Max (Mini Mauser bolt rifle) and the 21 in barrel so if you were to shorten your barrel by the case neck length difference (between the Grendel and the Grendel Max being .02) and rechamber with a GM reamer and run it as a single shot, maybe even remove the gas tube and run a manual bolt and with the 24in barrel I think you would certainly get very close to your 2800fps. I ran up to 2730 in testing and with 3 in more barrel you might get there IF there was an accuracy node that matched your velocity requirment.
                Bolt gun is a totally different story. Especially if you are using a Mauser action. However, I still doubt anyone makes a powder that would give that type of velocity safely from a Grendel size case.

I do not think it wise to attempt such a thing with an AR-15 frame. Not even in some sort of single shot mode. The AR-15 will not take the pressures of a decent bolt rifle.

LR1955

Comment

• Von Gruff
                  Chieftain
                  • Apr 2012

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post

I do not think it wise to attempt such a thing with an AR-15 frame. Not even in some sort of single shot mode. The AR-15 will not take the pressures of a decent bolt rifle.

LR1955
                  Even with a closed bolt as discussed in the bolt action AR??? and with my Grendel max case.

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Comment

• Von Gruff
                    Chieftain
                    • Apr 2012

Originally posted by tackdriver View Post
                    Thanks for the help. I might just start working on grendel bolt gun to see how hard you can push it and how far.
                    TD, have a look through this thread where I modify the grendel case a little and get the performance you are chasing. Factory Grendel ammo is out though as the performance level is down a bit on what the Grendel-Max will do.
                    All right guys, I will nail my flag to the mast with my colors showing for all to see. I am in the begining stages of a projected build of a bolt rifle that may horrify some of the Grendel purists but satisfies my tinkering obsession. There will never be a factory Grendel cartridge in my rifle so I decided the a chamber that

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Comment

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
                      TD:

Sure you can.

First. Get a supply of bolts because you will shear bolt lugs at a rate of probably one bolt every every twenty shots. Until you blow your upper apart which will probably happen within a couple hundred shots given it is even possible to achieve that 2800 fps velocity with a 120 out of a Grendel case without the bullet becoming a instant bore obstruction on the first shot.

Second. If you can even get 2800 fps with a 120 from a Grendel without blowing the rifle up on your first shot, for that first couple hundred rounds before your upper does blows up, you will go through brass very quickly. Large primer brass is a no go because you will blow the primers on the first shot. So, buy a supply of dollar plus a piece Lapua brass with small primer pockets and you probably won't blow the primers on the first shot. I say a good supply because your Lapua brass will be one shot brass, even if you don't blow the primer on the first shot.

Third. Get a good health insurance policy that covers re-constructive surgery so when your upper does blows apart, you can get your face and hands put back together.

Or -- you can buy a .260 Remington and get .260 performance without blowing up anything!

LR1955
                      LR55

I just cant stand the way you beat around the bush!LOL. Why dont you just say what you feel?! All joking aside, im not sure where the pressure limitations lie, whether it be bolt, case, or what not, but the 5.56 nato runs at 62,000psi, .223 runs at 55,000 psi, and grendel runs at @50,000psi. Bottom line, the receivers will handle the pressure, the thinner bolt head probably wont handle for very long. LR55 is right, stay within limits and you will be fine. i think youll find that with the grendel and other 6.5 cartridges, your drop is gonna even out due to BC. You could d in single shot style probably, but if youre gonna do that, I would build a 6.5CM bolt gun.just my $.02

Comment

2800 fps with a 120 gr bullet in an AR is THE Grail for Grendel shooters. I wish you luck in your Quest. Be aware that in the last 5 years, Grendel shooters have gotten about 150 fps closer to that 2800 fps. If you plan to follow that Quest, I suggest you get a T/C Encore with a 28 inch barrel and just keep cutting a little off the length as you reach 2800.

Comment

• hobbesgunner

If u want to shoot a 6.5 over 2800 out of an AR get a Creedmoor... 139 Scenars at 2850 are long range missles....but you pay in weight..my 6.5 LR weighs 14lbs without a mag....traded my Grendel for it few yrs ago cuz I wanted to go faster... missed the Grendel though so built another over the last year....take it for what it is and live with it's limitations. ..

Comment

• sneaky one
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

Use quality lighter bullets, in the Grendel platform. Think 90-115 grn. units. Look at the spec's. = It's just larger from a .257 cal.,, by .007 =the best wts. for the .257=85--117 grn,.
                            I hit 2800 all the time, no need for 120 wt. units-always. I get to 2700 w/ tsx 110 gr. units=that's all that's needed for hunting purposes.
                            I hate recoil, and heavy rifles- that's why I own a Grendel, well-then I went even lighter- diff. caliber -, down to 5.75 lbs.

No safe way to 2800 w/ a 120-& 18" bbl=not until the next best powder shows up.

We tried in vain -1.7 yrs. ago, to hit 3k-w/ a 100 gr. pill=20" bbl.----- BTw,, I made it to almost 2900fps.,, and that was then= a big hee-hee, cfe is here, and more to follow!
                            Last edited by sneaky one; 05-14-2013, 01:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X