Does anyone have the real scoop on Wolf steel case FMJ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • montana
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2011

I have shot thousands of rounds of steel case ammo in my 5.56 rifles with no bad effects at all. I have shot them in both SS steel barrels as well as chrome lined barrels. The problem with the 7.62 x.39 in the AR-15 platform is the tapered case tends to extract too quick in a DI gas system causing miss fires. I have had many problems shooting steel case ammo in Bush master barrels. Their chambers seem to be tighter than Stagarms , or Bravo Company hammer forged barrels which work perfectly. The Grendel round doesn't have the extreme taper that the 7.62 X.39 has ,which is why it functions reliably in the DI system. I hope they sell steel case ammo in the grendel for a good price. I would purchase a lot of it and shoot it more. Its a great round.

Comment

David Fortier wrote in a thread on ARFcom that he spoke to the owner of Wolf and found out that delivery is supposed to occur later this year. He also wrote that although the price will be more than $189 per K, it is expected to be less than $250 per K retail, in line with their 223 and 7.62x39 prices.

Aimsurplus lists case prices of Wolf 223 and 762x39 at $189 and $199, respectively, so perhaps we can keep our fingers crossed for a quarter or less per round delivered.

Comment

This will make me finally get of the fence on jump on the band wagon.

Comment

Gents,

The reliability of Wolf seems to depend on the specific chamber and chamber smoothness of each individual barrel. I've seen one Bushmaster chrome-lined barrel that wouldn't eat it, and the other that would eat it all day long. I had a RRA middy 16" that would eat it for a while, but the moment you let the gun cool down, and then started shooting again...seized cartridge in the chamber.

Had a lightweight 16" pipe from Double Star seize repeatedly, to the point that it required light oil penetrating overnight, and a solid steel cleaning rod to finally get it out, after bending the first cleaning rod.

The best solution to using Wolf seems to be running with a Nitro-carburized barrel with a 5.56 chamber, since they have a Rockwell 70 hardness over the entire surface of the barrel (bore and outside). AR Performance sells various Nitro-carb'd barrels and bolt combos in 7.62x39, 5.56, and 6.8 SPC. I wish he would start making Grendel barrels as a norm, since he has an improved bolt design that deals with these larger-based cases by beefing up the bolt geometry.

6.5 Grendel Wolf in steel cases at more affordable prices would really open up the popularity of the Grendel real quick, especially for those that want to run it as a high-volume blaster, who don't reload. There will be increasing demand for better bolts though, as the round counts increase in shorter time periods.

LRRPF52

Comment

• SHORT-N-SASSY
            Warrior
            • Apr 2013

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
            Gents,

. . .

6.5 Grendel Wolf in steel cases at more affordable prices would really open up the popularity of the Grendel real quick, especially for those that want to run it as a high-volume blaster, who don't reload. . . .

LRRPF52
            True, two years ago, when this was posted, and particularly true, today, given the higher cost of ammunition. Which begs the question, What's holding up the Wolf 6.5 Grendel steel case ammo!!

Comment

• bwaites
              • Mar 2011

The Barnaul group was here a few weeks ago, meeting with Bill Alexander to iron out the final details. They are setting up an entire line to run Grendel, and evidently that level of committment takes a while to come to fruition.

Its Russia, where "manana" might be "we'll talk about it next year!"

Comment

• Bullmastiff

Once you get the correct definition of manana, it all makes sense. Manana does not mean tomorrow.....it means not today.

Comment

Working...
                X