Wolf 6.5 Grendel steel case Ammo update.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheOTHERmaninblack
    Warrior
    • Apr 2011

Well, I think that we can safely rule out a December 2013 launch.

Comment

Thats right December...I had forgot.

Its just funny.

Comment

• Kikn
        Warrior
        • Nov 2011

Comment

• Keep The Change
          Warrior
          • Mar 2013

So is everybody wanting steel case because it is cheaper and can b reloaded more times?
          Being the 6.5 is hard on bolts & extractors are there concerns with a steel case accelerating this?

I'm not a reloader yet so have no knowledge on steel cases

Comment

• stanc
            Banned
            • Apr 2011

Originally posted by sneaky one View Post
            Think positively. It will arrive asap.
            That goes without saying. What I'm wondering is will it arrive soon enough that I'll still be alive to see it.

Comment

• rasp65
              Warrior
              • Mar 2011

KTC Steel cased ammo is usually Berdan primed. That will make reloading more difficult.

Comment

• TheOTHERmaninblack
                Warrior
                • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Keep The Change View Post
                So is everybody wanting steel case because it is cheaper and can b reloaded more times?
                Being the 6.5 is hard on bolts & extractors are there concerns with a steel case accelerating this?

I'm not a reloader yet so have no knowledge on steel cases
                It's cheaper, accurate "enough", and because it isn't readily reloadable, disposable.

Think about it. How would you feel about running a 3-gun with $1 a piece brass?, or even $.50 a piece?

Comment

• Dogue
                  Warrior
                  • Mar 2011

This thread depresses me, and humors me, at the same time.
                  Μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

• Drifter
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by TheOTHERmaninblack View Post
                    It's cheaper, accurate "enough", and because it isn't readily reloadable, disposable.

Think about it. How would you feel about running a 3-gun with $1 a piece brass?, or even $.50 a piece?
                    I would have guessed that 3-gun shooters wouldn't use steel-cased ammo in a match due to potential reliability issues, and would've also guessed that 5.56 would be preferred over 6.5.

But I'm not a 3-gun shooter (perhaps obviously).
                    Drifter

Comment

• bwaites
                      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Drifter View Post
                      I would have guessed that 3-gun shooters wouldn't use steel-cased ammo in a match due to potential reliability issues, and would've also guessed that 5.56 would be preferred over 6.5.

Current steel cased ammo is reliable in just about everything but tight tight neck match chambers. Many national level shooters run steel cased 5.56.

Hornady even makes "Match" ammunition in steel case, and many shooters have seen "one hole" groups from it.

Current steel cased ammo is accurate and reliable. From the start the Grendel was designed with it in mind.

Comment

Bwaites speaks with some prior knowlege about the steel Grendel ammo.

Comment

Originally posted by Drifter View Post

Most of the 3-gun stages are close-range hose sessions where a 40rd mag + gives you a competitive edge on the shot timer, so the Grendel doesn't make a lot of sense from a competitive and budget perspective. Only .223 Rem does, until you look at Heavy Metal Class.

In heavy metal class, you usually have .308 self-loaders, .45 ACP pistol, and you must shoot a 12 GA. pump-action. It started out as He Man division, .308 iron sights, .45 ACP single stack, and 12 GA.

Some Heavy Metal classes allow a 320 power factor, while others require 360. Some just say all you can shoot it a .308/7.62x51 NATO, and specifically exclude 7.62x39 or anything with a smaller bore than .30 cal.

I personally get turned off by the arbitrary rules, but I understand why they are there for those who lose sleep over points in competition. A lot of these guys and gals are competing to win, and winning means sponsorship, money, $4 + rifles, scopes, gear, and National or international prestige.

If I was in charge, I wouldn't run a match with shotguns because they are useless to me. What is a shotgun going to do for me that a 20 or 30rd magazine isn't in an AR? Especially out here in the West, 3-gun matches make more sense with pistol, carbine, and long-range.

Anyway, you are more competitive in most USPSA and 3-gun matches just sticking to a well-tuned .223 Wylde AR15, like a JP, than any other caliber because of the stage set-up and rules. The Colt Competition offshoot specifically tailors to this market, which might explain why they are turning sour on the Grendel for their customer base.

Out here, there is so much space, and most ranges have long-range bays on them, so there is a lot more opportunity to testing riflemen skills at distance. In that regard, the Rocky Mountain Region (where He Man reportedly originated) will likely see more and more competitors looking for lightweight, longer-range capable guns than .223 Rem, even with the 75gr and 77gr, which is hard to register hits with much past 400yds in the wind.

The annual Utah State Sniper match tests pistol, carbine, and long-range rifle, and is much more applicable to this region than the Southeast, where distances are much more compressed.

This guy is an amazing shooter, and rifle-builder. I shot a no-BS 2.5" group with Hornady 68gr BTHP from this rifle at 600yds at night, in between making & repairing targets for the shoot house this past September. It has a Vortex Viper PST for glass.

Comment

• cory
                            Chieftain
                            • Jun 2012

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                            ...If I was in charge, I wouldn't run a match with shotguns because they are useless to me. What is a shotgun going to do for me that a 20 or 30rd magazine isn't in an AR? Especially out here in the West, 3-gun matches make more sense with pistol, carbine, and long-range...
                            Sounds like you've found your next business venture. You should think about setting up a 3 gun competition aimed at forums members here. Pistol, .223/5.56 carbine, and Grendel for 600yds to 900yds. Maybe a division that includes large calibers and magnums for some. I'm sure there's a lot of guys here on the forum that'd be interested.

I'd like to get into 3 gun in the near future and would be interesting in heading to Utah for something like this, say late summer. Who knows maybe you could expand it and turn it into a somewhat regular thing.

Anyways just a friendly suggestion.
                            "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• montana
                              Chieftain
                              • Jun 2011

Originally posted by cory View Post
                              Sounds like you've found your next business venture. You should think about setting up a 3 gun competition aimed at forums members here. Pistol, .223/5.56 carbine, and Grendel for 600yds to 900yds. Maybe a division that includes large calibers and magnums for some. I'm sure there's a lot of guys here on the forum that'd be interested.

I'd like to get into 3 gun in the near future and would be interesting in heading to Utah for something like this, say late summer. Who knows maybe you could expand it and turn it into a somewhat regular thing.

Anyways just a friendly suggestion.
                              I second the motion, sounds like a lot of fun............a lot of fun

Comment

I think the best thing that could possibly happen for cheap ammo availability would be for the Russians to export primed steel cases to Hornady, and Hornady load an economy 6.5 Grendel factory load like they do with .223 Remington, .308, 9mm, .40 S&W, .45, and .30 Carbine.

Comment

Working...
                                X