Wolf 6.5 Grendel steel case Ammo update.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stanc
    Banned
    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
    I think the best thing that could possibly happen for cheap ammo availability would be for the Russians to export primed steel cases to Hornady, and Hornady load an economy 6.5 Grendel factory load like they do with .223 Remington, .308, 9mm, .40 S&W, .45, and .30 Carbine.
    It's been a while since I checked, but ISTR Hornady steel cased ammo being anything but "economy" priced. Relatively expensive is what I recall. Somebody correct me if I'm misremembering.

Comment

We are never getting steel case ammo.

Comment

Hornady sells steel cased 223 ammo marketed as training ammunition. That stuff is priced well. It is not east to find of course.

Comment

• stanc
          Banned
          • Apr 2011

Hornady steel case match ammo - MSRP:

.223 Rem 75gr BTHP $31.07/50rds ($0.62/rd)
          .30 Carb 110gr FMJ $37.80/50rds ($0.76/rd)
          .308 Win 155gr BTHP $60.24/50rds ($1.20/rd)

That's certainly not my idea of "economy price" ammo. From the above, I'd estimate MSRP of 6.5 Grendel steel case match ammo to be circa $0.90 per round.

Comment

• cory
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2012

Originally posted by stanc View Post
            Hornady steel case match ammo - MSRP:

.223 Rem 75gr BTHP $31.07/50rds ($0.62/rd)
            .30 Carb 110gr FMJ $37.80/50rds ($0.76/rd)
            .308 Win 155gr BTHP $60.24/50rds ($1.20/rd)

That's certainly not my idea of "economy price" ammo. From the above, I'd estimate MSRP of 6.5 Grendel steel case match ammo to be circa $0.90 per round.
            If that's the case there's no way I could justify buying that when I can get AMAX or SST in brass for ~$1.00/rd.
            "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Those are pricey target bullets selected. For example, the 75gr BTHP is not a cheap bullet. Their 55gr BTHP load is $0.55/round if you follow their inflated MSRP from the Hornady site.

If it was loaded with the economy projectiles for training, it could bring the cost down considerably.

Comment

• stanc
                Banned
                • Apr 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                Those are pricey target bullets selected. For example, the 75gr BTHP is not a cheap bullet. Their 55gr BTHP load is $0.55/round if you follow their inflated MSRP from the Hornady site.

If it was loaded with the economy projectiles for training, it could bring the cost down considerably.
                Well, sure it could. But when has Hornady ever loaded economy ammo? The Steel Match line is indeed loaded with pricey target bullets,* and that's what we could expect to get in a steel cased 6.5 Grendel load.

The 55gr BTHP ammo MSRP is irrelevant. Any 6.5 Grendel Steel Match load would almost certainly have a 123gr match bullet, with resulting MSRP of circa $0.90 per round. So if you're looking to Hornady for low cost Grendel ammo, all I can say is don't hold your breath.

*ETA: The .30 Carbine Steel Match load is an exception, having an ordinary 110gr FMJ bullet, but the price is nevertheless quite high.
                Last edited by stanc; 01-07-2014, 01:38 AM.

Comment

• biodsl
                  Chieftain
                  • Aug 2011

Originally posted by afpumpman View Post
                  Hornady sells steel cased 223 ammo marketed as training ammunition. That stuff is priced well. It is not east to find of course.
                  As I read it, Hornady markets this as inexpensive competition ammo. Accurate bullets with just enough umph to make class power levels while keeping recoil down. You can find cheaper training ammo, but in competition you want an accurate load.
                  Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• stanc
                    Banned
                    • Apr 2011

Has anybody at Shot Show talked to Wolf about this?

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                      Administrator
                      • Feb 2011

I'm getting on a plane tomorrow and I'll be at SHOT Show Thursday and Friday. I'll check with Wolf, but I don't know why. If they had it, we'd all have heard.

John

P.S. Any of you guys who are also going send me a private message and we'll try and meet up. Be fun to meet some faces!
                      :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• I asked them today. They said testing in the FMJ load is complete, and it should be released soon. Guess it's good news, but call me a doubting Thomas.

Comment

• Released soon as in like tney said 5 years ago.

Man I got two brand new 14.5 Grendels I havent fired yet. Magpul furniture, saber chromed line barrels and I have lost interest.

I bought an M1a and feel in love with it.

Comment

• Dogue
                            Warrior
                            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by tx4guns View Post
                            I asked them today. They said testing in the FMJ load is complete, and it should be released soon. Guess it's good news, but call me a doubting Thomas.
                            I'm surprised they didn't tell you "second quarter of 2014"....it's always just a few months away.
                            Μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

• NugginFutz
                              Chieftain
                              • Aug 2013

This is a typical RSN class of product. Whenever asked about delivery dates, the response is always "Real Soon Now".
                              If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• SHORT-N-SASSY
                                Warrior
                                • Apr 2013

I just got off the phone with James, WOLF Performance Ammunition. Re the WOLF 6.5 Grendel Steel Case ammo, "We're expecting a small shipment, first quarter 2014, to gauge demand."

Comment

Working...
                                X