X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BjornF16
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2011

Let us know how it works out...I never did find a good load for 120 TTSX.
    LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
    Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

Nimrod
      Thats pretty impressive velocities on the 120 ttsx. I'm wondering if my 120NBT would get the same velocity out of a 20"bbl. This is what I got out of my 16" 120 NBT/28.5g XBR
      2.235 / Vel 2538 fps / gp .924
      I never could tighten up the ttsx to MOA or sub-MOA. Let us know if you have luck with that.

Comment

I've got some 120 by, tommorow when I get another jig of powder I will run some and let you know what I get.

I will also get back to you guys on how the Barnes shoot.

2538fps out of a 16" barrel very very good, that is what I was getting with that load out of my 20" barrel.

Comment

Range day will probably be Thurs for me and I have 50 of the NBT's set with 28.5g of 8208 so I'll be able to get a very good reading on the velocities and accuracy. Half will go for velocity/sighting and the rest will be for working on my offhand shooting. We'll see.

Comment

• rasp65
            Warrior
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Hussar View Post
            I am presently breaking in a new upper for th 6.5 Grendel. I have just started to reload for this cartridge. I tried some LVR powder i had been using 2520.

18" Lother Walther barrel 1-8 twist
            123 gr A-MAX
            31 gr, of LVR
            205M primer

2510 fps avg 5 rds
            32.2 fps deviation
            .727 group

No pressure signs, but i still get a little pin ejector mark on the case, i also get these with 2520. The LVR powder does not seem to compress as much as 2520.

123GR a-MAX
            30GR 2520
            205m PRIMER

2537FPS 5RDS AVG.
            40.8 FPS DEVIATION
            did not do accuracy test with this load yet

123 SMK
            31gr LVR
            205M primer

2533 fps
            33.2 deviation
            .680 group

I have just now with these gruops have shot 50rds thru the weapon, so i know these numbers will change. I hope this info helps anybody loading for this round.
            Hussar Excellent first post. Keep up the good work.

Comment

Bad news on the Barnes, I got the speed but I'm only getting 1-1.5" groups, probably good enough for hunting but seeing what the rifle will do with the Amax and the Nobler BT I can't bring myself to use them.

I really wish Nobler would make a 120gr Accubond. I am wanting a bullet that I can use on deer, moose and elk sized critters.

Comment

• Bill Alexander

Obviously this is Hodgdons powder so no one is going to give out chapter and verse on what exactly it is, but is is a powder that should be considered. Generally it is in the same family as the Grendel factory powder with the same type of chemistry. Expansion ratio for the Grendel may be a little low but if the powder does not exhibit a secondary pressure peak it may prove very suitable and provide another in the now growing number of propellents that are very well suited AA2520, 8208, Tac, and now this.

Looking back 6-7 years we never expected to see this diversity and the every expanding projectile selection.

I applaude everyones efforts.
                Last edited by bwaites; 06-27-2011, 10:42 PM. Reason: Fixed number transposition

Comment

Thanks Bill, it is the first powder I have been able to reach 2600 with and I am convince that I am getting less.pressure than I was with 2520. With 2520 I always got a slight ejector marks, but not with LVR.

Comment

Sounds like they have done a good job of dispersing the burns of the different layers of the double-base ball powder, so the pressure curve is longer, with a more gradual vertex than 2520. This allows more constant pressure on the system, rather than a single steep spike. That would explain the higher velocities with no pressure signs.

Where does this powder factor-in on a burn-rate chart next to the VV powders?

Comment

Sure... I fall in love with 8208 and you guys dig up a possibly better powder.

I started getting light ejector marks with 8208 at 2660 fps ahead of 30gr of 8208 with the 123 Amax. That having been said, my most accurate .285 group came at 2602 ahead of 29gr of 8208. It would be interesting to see if I could get the same velocity without the ejector marks using LVR. Looks like I'll be fattening the local shop's wallet if they carry LVR. Even if it's not the manna from heaven, it'll be useful. I am out of H4895 and was going to get a bottle next week anyway. Why not expand my horizons at the same time?

Hoot

Comment

• Drifter
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post

Where does this powder factor-in on a burn-rate chart next to the VV powders?
                        I believe that the burn rate would fall between Hodgdon's BLC(2) and H380 on this link, which also shows VV's powders:

Drifter

Comment

• StoneTower

Originally posted by Nimrod View Post
                          Bad news on the Barnes, I got the speed but I'm only getting 1-1.5" groups, probably good enough for hunting but seeing what the rifle will do with the Amax and the Nobler BT I can't bring myself to use them.

I really wish Nobler would make a 120gr Accubond. I am wanting a bullet that I can use on deer, moose and elk sized critters.
                          You may want to play with the seating depth of the Barnes a litte more. Some report that the jump needs to be up to 70 thousands with some of their bullets for best accuracy.

Comment

Hoot buddy, your 8208 loads are hot, hot ,hot man.

I think you will find that you will get the same speeds without pushing the envelope with LVR, I am getting 2600fps with 31.4 grns of LVR and no markings on my cases.

Comment

Originally posted by StoneTower View Post
                              You may want to play with the seating depth of the Barnes a litte more. Some report that the jump needs to be up to 70 thousands with some of their bullets for best accuracy.
                              The Accubond in 120 or 123g would be the ideal hunting round. Things are evolving great in Grendel's bullet/powder selection arena, so I wouldn't be supprised if one of the bullet manufactures doesn't supprise us. As for the Barnes, several members from the West Coast have done alot of shooting with the TSX/TTSX mabye Glane has already done the work on seating depth to get the sub-moa the other bullets so readily deliver. I'll give the 70 thousands a shot but I'd like to hear some more feedback from anyone who regularly shoots moa/sub-moa with these bullets, before I buy another expensive box of the Barnes again just for R&D.

Comment

Originally posted by Nimrod View Post
                                Hoot buddy, your 8208 loads are hot, hot ,hot man.

I think you will find that you will get the same speeds without pushing the envelope with LVR, I am getting 2600fps with 31.4 grns of LVR and no markings on my cases.
                                Not necessarily. I realized I over struck the part about using a 24" barrel when I was correcting a part of my text. It'll be interesting to find both the accuracy sweet spot and maximum safe velocity with that stuff out of a longer barrel. Allowing that it is slower than 8208, perhaps the combination will be synergistic.

Hoot

Comment

Working...
                                X