Cfe 223

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cfe 223

Can anyone share experience and data on loading the 107 gr Sierra Matchking with CFE 223? I've had some good accuracy so far with with CFE and the 120 SMK but not sure if it would be a good match for the 107 grain SMK. Will be picking up some XBR later this week and there seems to be load data more readily available for it.

check out bwilds thread on loads. I think the thread was pics, lots of pics! IIRC, he had some 100 grain loads in there which would get you in the ballpark

Comment

Thanks ricsmall. I found it and this plus may 120 SMK/CFE test loads give me a good starting point. I'm running an 18" BHW barrel and started with 31.3 grains of CFE with 120 SMKs which in hindsight was a bit hot for a first load resulting in small shiny spots on the case heads and primers that were just starting to flatten so will back off a bit for the 120s and probably start at 31 grains for the 107s. Think my next purchase will be a chronograph and am looking seriously at the Magnetospeed. This is a great site with a lot of good information.

Comment

I've heard great things about the magneto speed and will probably acquire one before too long. Post up some pics and keep us posted on your load progress.

Richard

Comment

off-topic: I shoot with a few guys that use Magnetospeed, and for the most part they don't like it. We've a Magneto on a barrel and then fired through a RCBS (You can never be too sure, right?) and the MS showed a greater deviation shot-to-shot. Your results may vary.

Comment

• tackdriver
            Warrior
            • Feb 2013

Hi there Rain man, I am family new around here as well and your right . There is a lot to be learned here and a great group of people. I am envious of you because CFE is like bigfoot around my neck of the woods. I have been using xdr8208 and it does not disappoint, its good on speed and pretty clean. I can get upper 2700's out of the 100grn No's b-tips w29grn,s +/- of 8208 and 123 Nos cc run around 2600 with 28.5grn. I have a 24" 1:9 barrel. Just got a pound of Leverevolution can't wait to see what I can do w/that. Wish I had info on CFE but none to give. Maybe with a little luck I might be able to get some at the next gun show. Good luck finding your recipe!

Comment

There is good data from Hornady's 9th Edition on CFE, which is fairly recent. Bwild97 has done some pretty extensive shooting research on CFE and the Grendel. It seems to mimic LeveRevolution, and is similar to AA2520 as far as case fill % and velocities.

31.2gr was max load under 123gr A-MAX/SST in Hornady's 9th, from an 18" barrel, with a 2500fps mv. I'm running 31.0gr of CFE under 123gr A-MAX and SST in my 16" Grendel.

I still haven't had a chance to test my 107gr SMK's with CFE yet, but I have pressure ladders loaded up and ready to go. I think it's safe to start at 31.0gr in a Grendel chamber, with 2.260" COL and the 107gr SMK. Work up in .3gr increments, and don't go over 34.0gr. Not sure what max is yet, but I'll find out soon enough.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFrankZ View Post
                off-topic: I shoot with a few guys that use Magnetospeed, and for the most part they don't like it. We've a Magneto on a barrel and then fired through a RCBS (You can never be too sure, right?) and the MS showed a greater deviation shot-to-shot. Your results may vary.
                I don't doubt that some have seen more deviation with the magnetospeed but if, so it is due to operator error. I've done quite a bit of chrono work and using the Magneto speed in series with the CED Millinium II I get much tighter standard deviations than with the optical system. With my 600 yard load for my 6mm Hagar I get 12 fps with the optical and 4 fps with the Magnetospeed. But I've seen some really poor results with the Magnetospeed from others, turns out they didn't have it affixed properly to the barrel and it was jumping around from shot to shot. If affixed prorperly there are none that will give as consistent results.
                The Magnetospeed does have some down sides, like it changes point of impact and barrel harmonics. In my opinion the ease of set up far outweighs the negatives. And, I have owned just about every optical chrono made.
                Bob

Comment

Originally posted by stokesrj View Post
                  The Magnetospeed does have some down sides, like it changes point of impact and barrel harmonics. In my opinion the ease of set up far outweighs the negatives. And, I have owned just about every optical chrono made.
                  Bob
                  I wouldn't see POI and harmonics as an issue while using it, and no doubt it could be user error. For example, on a string of .308 the MS registered 2739, 2785, 2750, 2755, etc (SD was in double digits). That very same string through the optical registered 2740 +/- 3. I wish we would have had the cameras on that day.

I read the white papers on it a while back, and the concept just seemed like such a good idea. At our range, an optical is a pain to use due to the shooting berm height and depth but the MS was a breeze. Do you think that it would function as well with a can, since there would be a larger gap between bullet and track?

Comment

magnetospeed makes one for use with a can, large barrels, up to 2" in diameter.

Comment

• rickOshay
                      Warrior
                      • Apr 2012

I routinely obtain lower SD's and lower ES's with the Magnetospeed vs a Beta Chrony.

I watched a guy at the range use one of these and read up on the advantages: http://www.magnetospeed.com So I used the search engine on this site and only found one other member posting on the Magnetospeed - TXGUNNER00: http://www.65grendel.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-3991.html Based on this, and my dissatisfaction with

Comment

• oklahomaman

Back to the main thread.

I haven't kept up on powders lately and CFE 223 has me enthralled! I love the concept of a powder that dissuades copper fouling. Read about this propellent 6-8 months ago and have had an eye out for it ever since.
                        I'm also wanting some 8208 XBR but same thing, as rare as a smart blonde. lol (Now watch, all the blondes will be picketing me demanding apologies! LOL)

Comment

• sneaky one
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

oklah-don't worry, blondes don't typically use this site. Yikes= I'll take the hate on that one., Bruunies are just as smart as any blondie in town=let it go. Hot here, trying to relate facts.
                          Search on here for any powder useage.= if it's not found-? Ask away.

We are a team for the future.
                          We will never give in-or up!
                          We will soldier on as long as we all are alive-together.

8208 is a decent powder-, yet cfe is the best =newest darling.

S1

Comment

• Sputnik
                            Warrior
                            • May 2013

CFE-223 is available in Charlotte NC. "Carolina Sporting Arms" is located off of Hwy 485 on the south side of Charlotte. 8055 South Blvd. They have 8 one lb canisters on hand as of COB 27 July. 28.99 each. They will open at 1000 on Monday. Ph# 704-554-9511. I spoke with a fine gentleman named Jack Kolb and another guy named Phil. Great deal for the local Charlotte NC brothers of the Horde. Not sure if they ship. I would presume they do. Of course Hazmat charges would pertain.

Comment

• hill.brandonj

i want to like CFE but i have issues with throwing over on charge....i use RCBS chargemaster combo...and this is the only powder i use that i cant get to meter well....anyone else? i have some loads of CFE made with 120 nosler BT made just need to get out and shoot

Comment

Working...
                              X