• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • luvnar
    Unwashed
    • Jul 2013

140 grain Sierra Match King

Ive been working on a load to shoot these 140 grain smk I bought for deer slaying. Since I switched from blc2 to 8208 xbr. I decided to work up a 140 and blc load. Wolf gold once fired brass trimmed to 1.517, rem 9 1/2 primer, 28.5 grains BLC2, coal 2.250. Shot a 1/2 " 4 shot group with a flyer that I know I pulled. I dont have a chrony but it shot just a little lower that my 123 smk load and that shoots a little higher than wolf 120 mpt.
    20130902_140432.jpg

Shouldn't have a problem taking down deer with that load. What barrel are you shooting? I'd be interested to see if it could keep it together for a 10 shot group.

Comment

• XcountryRider

Originally posted by luvnar View Post
      Ive been working on a load to shoot these 140 grain smk I bought for deer slaying. Since I switched from blc2 to 8208 xbr. I decided to work up a 140 and blc load. Wolf gold once fired brass trimmed to 1.517, rem 9 1/2 primer, 28.5 grains BLC2, coal 2.250. Shot a 1/2 " 4 shot group with a flyer that I know I pulled. I dont have a chrony but it shot just a little lower that my 123 smk load and that shoots a little higher than wolf 120 mpt.
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]3799[/ATTACH]
      What about the 140gr Game King?

Comment

• luvnar
        Unwashed
        • Jul 2013

When I get 10 loaded up ill post pics.. I've loaded about 6 different loads with that powder and bullet. Finally seating it at 2.250 gave me some hope. I really want to chrono it.

Comment

• luvnar
          Unwashed
          • Jul 2013

Comment

• XcountryRider

I'm working on the 140gr Nosler BT. I need some range time to work out the right load. Planning to get out shooting next weekend.

Comment

My 16" 1:7.5" twist barrel loves the 140 Game King.

But I think you should be concerned about the relatively low impact velocity. Unless you are really close to your target I suspect the 140 won't expand much. You might consider the 120 Sierra Pro-Hunter (soft point flat base).
              Last edited by Guest; 09-03-2013, 11:03 AM.

Comment

• XcountryRider

Originally posted by Schwag173 View Post
                My 16" 1:7.5" twist barrel loves the 140 Game King.

But I think you should be concerned about the relatively low impact velocity. Unless you are really close to your target I suspect the 140 won't expand much. You might consider the 120 Sierra Pro-Hunter (soft point flat base).
                Bwild is getting 2550fps from a 140gr match king.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Bwild is using a 24" barrel so for an 18" barrel the load would probably be around 2400 FPS or less.
                  Last edited by VASCAR2; 09-05-2013, 01:09 AM.

Comment

My 140 load is about 2200fps. One of these days I'll run a water-jug test of these and the 129s because I really want to see what kind of expansion they'll have downrange once they slow down.

Comment

• luvnar
                      Unwashed
                      • Jul 2013

Originally posted by XcountryRider View Post
                      Bwild is getting 2550fps from a 140gr match king.
                      I hope to get a chrony on it next time im at the range. I dont have a clue when that will be since my Hornady locked and loaded auto charge scale want give an accurate reading all of the sudden..

Comment

• luvnar
                        Unwashed
                        • Jul 2013

Originally posted by XcountryRider View Post
                        I'm working on the 140gr Nosler BT. I need some range time to work out the right load. Planning to get out shooting next weekend.
                        I have a 200 yard range in my back yard and I still have a hard time finding time..

Comment

• luvnar
                          Unwashed
                          • Jul 2013

Originally posted by luvnar View Post
                          I hope to get a chrony on it next time im at the range. I dont have a clue when that will be since my Hornady locked and loaded auto charge scale want give an accurate reading all of the sudden..
                          My 123 smk 28.4 xbr shoots about 1 1/2" - 2" higher than wolf 120 grain mpt(depending on lot) and its the group to the immediate right of the 140 group. Im guessing its about the same velocity as the wolf 120 mpt.

Comment

Working...
                          X