Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vanguard138

consistency

I have noticed recently that my Redding die is having a lot of variance in the setting depth. I.E. 2.40 to 2.50 with my AMAX. Am I missing something. I know it seats at the ogive and there will be some variance but I have not had that much. The SMK's fair better.
  • lrgrendel
    Warrior
    • Jul 2013

Not sure which Weight bullet you are using but my 123 AMAX do much the same. Maybe not quite as much but close.
    You need to get a bullet comparator and measure from the ogive to the tip and see if they are consistent.
    Then sort them to a tolerance you are comfortable with.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Have you checked the variance in your projos with a comparator? My 120SMK's were doing the same thing as far as col was concerned. Checked with a comparator, they were consistent on base to ogive measurements. Just a thought

Richard

Comment

• bigbear_98
        Warrior
        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by ricsmall View Post
        Have you checked the variance in your projos with a comparator? My 120SMK's were doing the same thing as far as col was concerned. Checked with a comparator, they were consistent on base to ogive measurements. Just a thought

Richard
        This. Measure the overall length of your projectile and see if the bullet itself is different lengths. The ogive is what matters the most. Measure from there if you can. I noticed the tips of my SMK bullets are all boogered so the coal is different but the ogive oal is the same.

Are your bullets from different lots. I had some interbonds that I was loading for my FIL and when I got a new box they were a little different and I had to adjust the die.

Is all of your brass the same headstamp? Different brass can have different base thickness. I ran into this with my pistol rounds.

Have you cleaned your shell holder? Junk in the shell holder can get under the case and cause differences.

Comment

• cory
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2012

Originally posted by vanguard138 View Post
          I have noticed recently that my Redding die is having a lot of variance in the setting depth. I.E. 2.40 to 2.50 with my AMAX. Am I missing something. I know it seats at the ogive and there will be some variance but I have not had that much. The SMK's fair better.
          I'd suggest you get a Hornady OAL gage and use that for measuring your rounds.

I'm sure there is a lot of variance in the length of the plastic tips.

I always go by OAL when I reload for the Grendel. It's much easier to get consistent round length, IMHO.

The only time I measure the COL is if I'm approaching max mag length.
          "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• vanguard138

Thanks. Yes they are all from the same batch and are 123 gr AMAX. Time for a bullet comparator I guess.

Comment

was having same problem when I loaded some 308 for a friends precision rifle course....the overall lengths were all over the place but after I bought the comparator I found the distance from the ogive to the base of the case were the same.

Comment

Originally posted by vanguard138 View Post
                Thanks. Yes they are all from the same batch and are 123 gr AMAX. Time for a bullet comparator I guess.
                Look at the OAL of the bullets. I have found as much as 0.010 difference in the same box. Ogive measure was dead nuts but the length was all over the place. I recently measure some OLD 70 TNT's that were 0.020 LONGER than the new batch.

Greg

Comment

Working...
                X