Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vanguard138

Hornady OAL accuracy

I have taken several measurements and every time I get a different figure. Any suggestions?
  • vanguard138

Pretty sure it is because of the plastic rod and the dents the tightening screw are making. WHY they do not have a metal rod os beyond me. Too cheap I guess.

Comment

• Bike Effects

I believe it is inconsistent ogive. Very frustrating.

Comment

I take 5-10 individual bullet measurements and use the average as long as I'm only seeing a +/- of .003-.005.

Comment

• cory
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2012

Make sure you're holding firm pressure on the bullet when tightening down on the rod. That'll make your measurements a little more consistent.
          "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I always measure from O-give (since that's what the bullet seater goes by) then making sure none of the rounds exceed mag length. Hornady plastic rods are horrible for metering OAL.

Comment

Originally posted by APynckel View Post
              I always measure from O-give (since that's what the bullet seater goes by) then making sure none of the rounds exceed mag length. Hornady plastic rods are horrible for metering OAL.
              I bought the original Stoney Point rig. It has a metal push rod. I have used it for years but went to the Sinclair system two months ago and it put the Hornady to shame for speed and accuracy. I now use the Hornady for fast die set up and use the headspace inserts to set shoulder bump.

Greg

Comment

Working...
              X