Chieftain
    • May 2020

What do you have for powder selection?

Comment

• Klem
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
      I would not use any Quick Load generated predictions for 6.5 Grendel.

There is plenty of data available now in the 6.5 Grendel Handbooks
      I use Quickload all the time and find it indispensable for all calibres, including the Grendel. I would caution against listening to anyone who discredits the program in favor of books they are selling. The conflict of interest is obvious.

Manufacturer tables and this forum are also good sources and a combination of these served me fine over the years. Just be aware the loads on this forum tend to be on the hot side so 10% low and work up is smart reloading.

Full disclosure: I do not work or sell Quickload.

Comment

• Zeneffect
        Chieftain
        • May 2020

I wouldn't trust the 2011 quickload numbers as there have been significant database updates since then. Once you dial the ba for the powder/lot, quickload (with newest/newer updates) can predict my muzzle velocity within +-10fps of what the magnetospeed is giving me.

Comment

• Klem
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2013

Zene,

That is interesting - My Quickload predictions are not as precise as yours. It is more like 30fps out compared to the Labradar. Even with playing around with the parameters to suit the MV and measuring water case capacity. I put it down to ambient variables like temperature and the vagaries of a whole lot of compounding variables like powder batches in a computer program.

I have V3.9.0.11

What do you have?

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Klem View Post
            I use Quickload all the time and find it indispensable for all calibres, including the Grendel. I would caution against listening to anyone who discredits the program in favor of books they are selling. The conflict of interest is obvious.

Manufacturer tables and this forum are also good sources and a combination of these served me fine over the years. Just be aware the loads on this forum tend to be on the hot side so 10% low and work up is smart reloading.

Full disclosure: I do not work or sell Quickload.
            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Klem
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2013

Of course there is a conflict of interest here. A conflict is where a person stands to gain a personal benefit, in this case financially in the advice you give, without full disclosure. All this would go away if you were to fully disclose your interest every time you advise new posters to purchase anything you are selling.

This side show is not about the efficacy of QL vs. your books. It is about you slamming QL and in the same breath advocating your books. Whether you appreciate it or not it qualifies as a conflict of interest.

Mate, I don't care that you think you are doing the calibre a favor - Or that you went to a lot of trouble to perfect your product. And I have no doubt there is a lot of good information in them. But that does not give you latitude where a conflict is perceived.

And maybe QL is not for everyone, indeed I use it as one source of information to cross compare.

Just be up front and declare it every time - then you can slam QL and plug your products till the cows come home.

Comment

• Zeneffect
                Chieftain
                • May 2020

Zene,

That is interesting - My Quickload predictions are not as precise as yours. It is more like 30fps out compared to the Labradar. Even with playing around with the parameters to suit the MV and measuring water case capacity. I put it down to ambient variables like temperature and the vagaries of a whole lot of compounding variables like powder batches in a computer program.

I have V3.9.0.11

What do you have?
                same version but with the 2021 database. waiting on (of all things) a stupid cd rom to convert the disc into an iso then load it to be up to latest.

Comment

• Klem
                  Chieftain
                  • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Zeneffect View Post
                  same version but with the 2021 database. waiting on (of all things) a stupid cd rom to convert the disc into an iso then load it to be up to latest.
                  Aint that the truth - I had to source an old CD reader just to upload it. And when that didn't work $100 in IT advice and for them to load it. The UK rep reckons it has something to do with copyright, which is of course BS.

Comment

• MikeyMosin
                    Bloodstained
                    • Feb 2022

2520, LT-30, Tac, and H322

Comment

• LRRPF52
                      Super Moderator
                      • Sep 2014

Of course there is a conflict of interest here. A conflict is where a person stands to gain a personal benefit, in this case financially in the advice you give, without full disclosure. All this would go away if you were to fully disclose your interest every time you advise new posters to purchase anything you are selling.

This side show is not about the efficacy of QL vs. your books. It is about you slamming QL and in the same breath advocating your books. Whether you appreciate it or not it qualifies as a conflict of interest.

Mate, I don't care that you think you are doing the calibre a favor - Or that you went to a lot of trouble to perfect your product. And I have no doubt there is a lot of good information in them. But that does not give you latitude where a conflict is perceived.

And maybe QL is not for everyone, indeed I use it as one source of information to cross compare.

Just be up front and declare it every time - then you can slam QL and plug your products till the cows come home.
                      The purpose of the Handbooks started off because I wanted a single book I could go to myself, like One Book, One CaliberOne Book, One Caliber

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• MikeyMosin
                        Bloodstained
                        • Feb 2022

on the hunt for all the stuff that's no where to be found rn, 8208, PP varment, Varget, 4198, AR Comp...ect, Hit brownells on a good day to get the 3lbs I have, the LT-30 came from a local cabellas, and the blurb on the back stated it was a good powder for 6.5 grendel so i snatched it up....

Comment

• Klem
                          Chieftain
                          • Aug 2013

As I said before, this is not about the efficacy of QL vs. your books - This is about the conflict-of-interest your post represents.

By all means discredit QL and advocate the effort and credibility behind your books - but it is ethical to declare your role in the revenues.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                            Super Moderator
                            • Sep 2014

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• biodsl
                              Chieftain
                              • Aug 2011

My purchase of the Grendel Handbooks was the best money I ever spent on anything Grendel related.
                              Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• kmon
                                Chieftain
                                • Feb 2015

H4895, CFE223 and Leverevolution all work well in the Grendel with 130gr bullets.

I use CFE223 after getting some good loads with it I bought several more pounds of the same lot. The only Berger bullets I have worked up loads for were with CFE223 and Berger 130 OTM and 129gr Nosler LRAB. 30.6 gr with 2.265 COAL in Lapua brass gave me a bit over 2500 (98 degree day) from the 22 inch boltaction with half MOA or better accuracy. Now that is in a bolt action but others have reported that as being at or near the top in their ARs. My AR is its most accurate with 30.3gr CFE223.

H4895 is another good powder for it though a little less on velocity it is more temp stable.

Nosler lists 31gr as top load for CFE and 129 and 130 gr bullets. I had stopped at 30.9 on testing as accuracy was headed the wrong direction and worked up those lads before much data was available and tried it in the AR after more data came out.

Comment

Working...
                                X