Elite Ammunition 98 grain solids. Load data and BC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roger that, I think you're using those gumball machine plastic dimes on us to look cool, dude. I bet you have a gag shop tape measure too, Mr. Perfect Shot! Hee-hee...

Comment

• MrSurgicalPrecision

Originally posted by rasp65 View Post
      155 wants to know if that is a regulation dime in the photos. You might want to try something like H335.
      I couldn't find any nickels, all I had was dimes man!

Comment

• MrSurgicalPrecision

Chrony data!

All loads used Hornady brass and CCI 450 primers unless noted

28.5 gr TAC
        Lo-2641
        Hi-2678
        Ave-2658
        Ex Spread-36.8
        Std Dev-13.8
        Unacceptable grouping

29.0 gr TAC
        Lo-2687
        Hi-2721
        Ave-2705
        Ex Spread-34.4
        Std Dev-14.5
        Unacceptable grouping

30.0 gr TAC
        Lo-2771
        Hi-2804
        Ave-2794
        Ex Spread-32.7
        Std Dev-13.2
        Unacceptable grouping, showed mild flattening of the primer.

31.4 gr LeverEvolution (CCI 400 primer)
        Lo-2795
        Hi-2809
        Ave-2801
        Ex Spread-13.6
        Std Dev-6.0
        (Only had 4 rounds to test) Best grouping so far. 4 shots around an inch with 3 touching. Showed some flattening of the primer. Showing potential.

Comment

• bwaites
          • Mar 2011

OK guys, this is beginning to get very serious.

The ATF has raided Elite Ammunition and told them that their solid bullets are not ATF compliant, as .223, 6.5, and 6.8 are now considered pistol cartridges. As such, their solid bullets are considered AP and have been removed from the market.

So we now have a situation where we are told we must hunt with a bullet that is not lead based, but the most reliable method to manufacture that type of bullet is no longer allowed.

Anyone else see any problem with this?

Comment

• BjornF16
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2011

I suspect this is part of this administrations' new "safety rules" for firearms that will be rolled out over the next few weeks...legislating by fiat
            LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
            Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

• Variable
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by bwaites View Post

The ATF has raided Elite Ammunition and told them that their solid bullets are not ATF compliant, as .223, 6.5, and 6.8 are now considered pistol cartridges. As such, their solid bullets are considered AP and have been removed from the market.

So we now have a situation where we are told we must hunt with a bullet that is not lead based, but the most reliable method to manufacture that type of bullet is no longer allowed.

AAAAAGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Now, you see why I have been staying off the internet!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? I hop on here for a couple of minutes, and blammo my head explodes! Gahhh! Just tell me where to show up when the party starts. I can't take reading this stuff anymore!!!
              Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
              We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

I wonder if this is one of the first steps the current administration is taking to make shooting safer?

The question is, for whom?

The real dilemma is that almost every rifle cartridge of less than 8mm has been put into a pistol format at one time or another. Most of the smaller rifle cartridges in the larger calibers have also.

Looks like the courts and lawyers will get more $$$...

Comment

Originally posted by bwaites View Post

There's something funky going on here. Since when were .223, 6.5, and 6.8 hunting calibers? Are they basing this loose definition of what you can chamber an XP-100 for? That would include a lot of other calibers as well.

Comment

If you add the Contender, pretty much no rifle caliber is exempt.

Comment

Bill,

Have you been following the NSSF newsletters or the NRA "Grass Roots" alerts?

While you are absolutely correct that more may be going on than reported by the raided party, the statement is consistent with action expected by reports in these media.

Consider that the administration has tasked a known rabid antigunner with "improving the safety of firearms in the US." Further, NSSF reports that the task force is meeting with all stakeholders, yet the only stakeholder mentioned is the Brady foundation.

Hence my earlier comment -- the courts and lawyers are going to get more $$$...

Sign me today as "Waiting for the Other Shoe."

Comment

• bwaites
                        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by JASmith View Post
                        Bill,

Have you been following the NSSF newsletters or the NRA "Grass Roots" alerts?

While you are absolutely correct that more may be going on than reported by the raided party, the statement is consistent with action expected by reports in these media.

Consider that the administration has tasked a known rabid antigunner with "improving the safety of firearms in the US." Further, NSSF reports that the task force is meeting with all stakeholders, yet the only stakeholder mentioned is the Brady foundation.

Hence my earlier comment -- the courts and lawyers are going to get more $$$...

Sign me today as "Waiting for the Other Shoe."
                        Yes, to both. There are multiple gilding metal bullets, including the Barnes banded solids, Nosler offerings, and I believe even some Hornadys. Elite is tiny, so I wonder if they are "the canary in the coal mine" test case.

Comment

It's also true that individuals and small businesses can't afford the up-front costs of litigation, even for slam-dunk cases. That's part of the reason Wal-Mart fought so hard to keep the sex-discrimination case from becoming class-action.

Most us and small businesses are lucky to cough up a retainer fee for a lawyer found in the telephone book. It takes literally millions of dollars to fight the government and the NGOs supporting their positions.

Also, don't forget that maneuvering is underway to stigmatize the ownership of firearms. It's part of why the open carry movements are having such trouble. As soon as we allow ourselves to say it's OK for a permitted license-holder to carry concealed, but he or she is not permitted to let the firearm to be seen by others in public, we know that stigmatization is underway.

All this means that we may have to make even more donations of time and money to help protect our rights.

Comment

• MrSurgicalPrecision

I'm just mad as can be right now. I've already sunk a lot of time and effort into this load developement. Now it's for nothing really, I've got 50 bullets left and I can't get anymore. I wonder if the ATF is going to kick my door in wanting my unfired rounds?

Comment

Originally posted by MrSurgicalPrecision View Post
                              I...I wonder if the ATF is going to kick my door in wanting my unfired rounds?
                              I can't predict the method of entry, but the EA web page indicates that the ATF will contact you to recover any unfired rounds.

Comment

I thought that this type of regulation applied to loaded ammo, not components. Either way, nothing regarding the BATF surprises me any longer.

Comment

Working...
                                X