• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Drifter
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by WildBill3/75 View Post
    Also my once fired necks measure around .300 is it alright to resize with a bushing die straight from .300 to .288?
    Lapua / AA brass responds well to a 1-step process, but in my experience, Hornady brass benefits from two steps in regards to consistent neck tension (and thus, accuracy). That being said, it might be somewhat taxing on the brass (and its overall life) to full-length resize twice. For that reason, I use a Redding 6PPC Competition Neck die for the second step on Hornady Grendel brass.

A 288 bushing has worked best for me with Lapua / AA brass (though I now prefer the Forster FL die), and I think that I use a 287 bushing in the neck die for the second step with Hornady brass. (I can double-check if someone really wants to know.)

There are certainly other effective ways to go about it, but what I've shared has provided the best consistent accuracy for me. YMMV
    Last edited by Drifter; 10-03-2013, 06:08 PM.
    Drifter

Comment

• cory
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2012

Just got off the phone with midway. I'll be returning the set/shell holder and going to exchange with a Redding type S sizing die/redding #12 shell holder and pickup a Forster Ultra seater elsewhere. What bushings y'all recommend? I was thinking about picking up .288 and .287. Also my once fired necks measure around .300 is it alright to resize with a bushing die straight from .300 to .288?

Thanks for the help
      Use the custom google search and search bwaites bushings.

A month or so back he had responded in a thread where we were discussing the difference in AA and Hornady brass, to a question I asked. He uses those same dies I believe and he listed the bushing he uses for AA and the bushing he uses for hornady brass.
      "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• WildBill3/75

thank you

Comment

Just got off the phone with midway. I'll be returning the set/shell holder and going to exchange with a Redding type S sizing die/redding #12 shell holder and pickup a Forster Ultra seater elsewhere. What bushings y'all recommend? I was thinking about picking up .288 and .287. Also my once fired necks measure around .300 is it alright to resize with a bushing die straight from .300 to .288?

Thanks for the help
          Measure the web area( about 1/4 inch above the rim) of your Forster sized brass before you run it through your New Redding die. Then measure again after you run the Redding die. I will bet that the Forster die is over .443 and the Redding die will be .439+/-.

Comment

My barrel is a CSS 18 inch 6.5 Grendel.

No, RCBS did not modify the Standard FL die. RCBS's original plan was to modify the Small base die. After they took a look at both my fired brass and the SB die they determined that there was no reason to modify the SB die as their Standard FL die was a perfect fit.

Comment

• Drifter
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Thanks... I don't have any issues with the Forster die and my Grendel chambers, but the cartridge bodies tend to be overly snug in my LBC chambers. I have no idea if my experiences are unique regarding slight perceived chamber differences. I have Redding, Lee, and maybe Hornady sizing dies around here somewhere, so I might have to revisit 'em for the seemingly tighter chambers.
              Drifter

Comment

• WildBill3/75

Got the redding die,bushings and redding #12 shell holder today. That solved the problem and they now chamber, thank you everyone!

Comment

• NugginFutz
                  Chieftain
                  • Aug 2013

Don't you just love it when a plan comes together?

The horde is a great fount of knowledge and experience,
                  If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Tedward
                    Banned
                    • Feb 2013

Guy's, I just got my Hornady dies a few weeks ago and getting ready to use them. What I'm reading is that they might not do well on my Hornady Brass, I think that's what your saying.

I only have 60 PPU cases so not a big deal on those but I have a stock pile of Hornady and gathering new AA for once the Hornady wears out. Would I be better off to return the Hornady before I use them and spend 40 bucks more and get the Redding dies that are better for all of the cases??? I prefer to buy once rather than have a set that is not up to par.

Comment

• NugginFutz
                      Chieftain
                      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Tedward View Post
                      Guy's, I just got my Hornady dies a few weeks ago and getting ready to use them. What I'm reading is that they might not do well on my Hornady Brass, I think that's what your saying.

I only have 60 PPU cases so not a big deal on those but I have a stock pile of Hornady and gathering new AA for once the Hornady wears out. Would I be better off to return the Hornady before I use them and spend 40 bucks more and get the Redding dies that are better for all of the cases??? I prefer to buy once rather than have a set that is not up to par.
                      Not a thing wrong with the Hornady dies. You should be GTG.
                      If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

Hornady Dies + Hornady #6 shell holder may allow you "too much" shoulder push back if you set the die and shell holder to meet while sizing. Measure your fired cases with a comparator. And adjust dies for about .004" of push back.

Comment

Got the redding die,bushings and redding #12 shell holder today. That solved the problem and they now chamber, thank you everyone!
                          Did you compare the Web measurements from the Forster sized brass to the Redding sized brass?

Comment

• WildBill3/75

No unfortunately I did not. I just stuck them in the redding die and resized them to use as sighting in rounds.

Comment

• Tedward
                              Banned
                              • Feb 2013

Originally posted by NugginFutz View Post
                              Not a thing wrong with the Hornady dies. You should be GTG.
                              great, thanks

Comment

• pinzgauer
                                Warrior
                                • Mar 2011

Contrarian viewpoint: Have the Forster dies, worked well in three different Grendel rifles from three different barrel mfg's and two different companies, 2 different shell holders plus the forster press, with IMI, PPU, and Hornady brass.

Common thread? A real Grendel chamber, not a CSS, LBC, etc. No offense, but neither CSS or LBC companies have a track record for standard Grendel chambers, and CSS has a history of headspace issues, etc.

Based on measurements, my guess is MSERIC's Forster was out of spec or the shellholder one. Either way I'd expect Forster to make it right, but do what you have to do.

The biggest nit I have on the Forsters is that for thin brass like PPU it may be hard to get enough neck tension on some bullets. So if you have the cash the button neck sizers like the Redding are nice. But are significantly more money!

Comment

Working...
                                X