• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LR1955
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by z06man View Post
    Is there somewhere I can read about this? I don't really understand how that works. I haven't shot long range enough to have to deal with mirage but a couple of times, but I plan on changing that once I get this Grendel built.
    Z06:

They use the squares as an aiming point for a couple of reasons. One of them is that some guys like to align their cross hairs with a corner of the square. Others like to use center. Never heard a bench rest guy say he used them to deal with mirage as bench rest guys use wind flags and will shoot when their wind flags show them the right condition to shoot.

I wouldn't confuse Bench Rest with long range shooting unless you are dealing with the long range bench rest competition. When you have no dependable wind flags, or no wind flags at all, you use honest wind indicators. The mirage generally ends up to be one of them and sometimes the only one -- unless it is cloudy out.

I think we have discussed reading winds on the forum somewhere already. In pretty good detail. May want to run a search.

LR1955

Comment

• LRS_Ranger

I went back and read your first post again. I had misread and thought that you were swinging 50 FPS not 150... If you are really swinging 150 FPS then something (other than neck tension or being off by a couple tenths of a grain) is wrong. Check the batteries on your chrono or use a buddies to confirm. Shoot a group a bit further out and look for vertical. 150 FPS is going to give you some monster vertical dispersion if you get out a ways.. Let us know what you find...

-LRS

Comment

Originally posted by LRS_Ranger View Post
        I went back and read your first post again. I had misread and thought that you were swinging 50 FPS not 150... If you are really swinging 150 FPS then something (other than neck tension or being off by a couple tenths of a grain) is wrong. Check the batteries on your chrono or use a buddies to confirm. Shoot a group a bit further out and look for vertical. 150 FPS is going to give you some monster vertical dispersion if you get out a ways.. Let us know what you find...

-LRS
        My first test load at 28.5 gr printed 1/2" @ 200 yards. It had been my intention to shoot 20 rounds at 200 & 300 that day. The trouble I have is that New Mexico has been having up to 40-50 mph almost every day. Hopefully this week will be better and maybe I will be able to find an hour of calm. My plan is to shoot the remaining ten bullets at three hundred yards and see how they group. That should be an indicator of how good the chronograph is.

The lot # is 3110140. Once fired Hornady brass , Hornady dies no crimp. same as the first load.

Comment

• LR1955
          Super Moderator
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by davidj View Post
          My first test load at 28.5 gr printed 1/2" @ 200 yards. It had been my intention to shoot 20 rounds at 200 & 300 that day. The trouble I have is that New Mexico has been having up to 40-50 mph almost every day. Hopefully this week will be better and maybe I will be able to find an hour of calm. My plan is to shoot the remaining ten bullets at three hundred yards and see how they group. That should be an indicator of how good the chronograph is.

The lot # is 3110140. Once fired Hornady brass , Hornady dies no crimp. same as the first load.
          Dave:

So, you say it will group at under 3/4 minute, eh? That's good enough for a gas blaster.

You have your load and if it shoots at 200, you can believe it will be fine at 300. So, no need to waste your money and time at 300 but it is worth the time and money to test it at 500 and 600.

LR1955

Comment

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
            Dave:

So, you say it will group at under 3/4 minute, eh? That's good enough for a gas blaster.

You have your load and if it shoots at 200, you can believe it will be fine at 300. So, no need to waste your money and time at 300 but it is worth the time and money to test it at 500 and 600.

LR1955
            That was the plan until I started the chrono up. The only reason I even took the chronograph out was so I could get the JBM calculations going.(And it was to windy to shoot targets..The recurring theme for me).
            My goal is to get certified at 1000 yards at the Del Norte Gun Club in N.M. I have a 600 yard pin which I did with a Garand. My old tired eyes wouldn't work past that. Thus I had a great excuse to get a 6.5 Grendel with some glass that would let me see into the twilight zone.

Comment

Working...
            X