• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tedward
    Banned
    • Feb 2013

AA Grendel Dies in stock at Midway

Unbelievable and there in stock, just got a set.

• dammitman
    Warrior
    • Dec 2012

i understand that Lee Precision makes the AA dies, is that correct?

Comment

• cory
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2012

Originally posted by dammitman View Post
      i understand that Lee Precision makes the AA dies, is that correct?
      That's what the description says. The dies AA list for sale on their site are Redding.
      "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Tedward
        Banned
        • Feb 2013

Originally posted by cory View Post
        That's what the description says. The dies AA list for sale on their site are Redding.
        A.A. has both Lee and Redding. I don't know how the A.A. Lee dies at Midway ($57.99) are different from the Lee dies at Brownells ($32.99) since both are 6.5 Grendel and by Lee. So $25 extra for the name I guess....
        I do know they have the crimping die that the Hornady doesn't.

Also AA Brass in stock, A-max ammo and mags too. Lots of Grendel stuff showing up..

Comment

• LR1955
          Super Moderator
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Tedward View Post
          Unbelievable and there in stock, just got a set.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/796...set-65-grendel
          TW:

Make sure you buy twice the amount of brass, too. Your lee dies will destroy the brass by overworking the necks.

Yes, the seater too. The Lee seating die is almost as bad as the Lee sizing die.

And -- be ready to turn down the decapping pin in the Lee sizing die if you are using Lapua brass.

When you see just how badly the Lee dies damage your brass, or cause chambering problems, buy the Redding bushing dies.

Too bad you didn't run a search on the Forum. I am not sure anyone here would recommend the Lee dies. Back in the day, it was either them or a custom made set. I ended up with a custom set when I saw how badly the Lee dies really were. When Redding came out with their bushing dies in Grendel, I jumped on them and have never looked back.

You are right about one thing. You did spend another $25.00 to buy a name.

Best bet is to return the dies and use the money to buy a real set of loading dies. Hornady, Redding, are two I would recommend.

LR1955

Comment

• Tedward
            Banned
            • Feb 2013

I got ya and that's what I thought after reading more last night. I already have the Hornady dies so yup, I already canceled my order. I thought they were something different.

That is one great option with Midway, they offer a cancel order button on your order history. Most vendors stick it to you and then you have to pay return shipping....

Thanks for the advise and if others are reading will get your input too.
            Last edited by Tedward; 10-20-2013, 12:45 PM. Reason: add note

Comment

• maverick5582

#77478 S Bushing Die

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
              TW:

Make sure you buy twice the amount of brass, too. Your lee dies will destroy the brass by overworking the necks.

Yes, the seater too. The Lee seating die is almost as bad as the Lee sizing die.

And -- be ready to turn down the decapping pin in the Lee sizing die if you are using Lapua brass.

When you see just how badly the Lee dies damage your brass, or cause chambering problems, buy the Redding bushing dies.

Too bad you didn't run a search on the Forum. I am not sure anyone here would recommend the Lee dies. Back in the day, it was either them or a custom made set. I ended up with a custom set when I saw how badly the Lee dies really were. When Redding came out with their bushing dies in Grendel, I jumped on them and have never looked back.

You are right about one thing. You did spend another $25.00 to buy a name.

Best bet is to return the dies and use the money to buy a real set of loading dies. Hornady, Redding, are two I would recommend.

LR1955
              Got my new Redding S Bushing Die #77478 today. I called Redding and ask them about the little black decapping pin sleeve that came in the little plastic envelope. When I told him that I was reloading for an AR-15 he told me that they did not recommend using "S" bushing dies for an AR-15. When I told him why I bought this die based on neck size and what I read here he told me, "don't believe everything you read on that forum". I do not plan on asking Redding anything else. When I called them 3 months ago I could NOT get a definitive answer from them on the regular Grendel dies.
              Last edited by Guest; 11-01-2013, 05:45 PM. Reason: mis-spelled word

Comment

• LR1955
                Super Moderator
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by maverick5582 View Post
                Got my new Redding S Bushing Die #77478 today. I called Redding and ask them about the little black decapping pin sleeve that came in the little plastic envelope. When I told him that I was reloading for an AR-15 he told me that they did not recommend using "S" bushing dies for an AR-15. When I told him why I bought this die based on neck size and what I read here he told me, "don't believe everything you read on that forum". I do not plan on asking Redding anything else. When I called them 3 months ago I could NOT get a definitive answer from them on the regular Grendel dies.
                Mav:

Many of us have been using the Redding S sizing die since it came out about six years ago. So far, haven't heard any complaints. Given that we now have Lapua, Hornady, PPU and various 7.62 X 39 brands of brass, there is a need for different neck bushings. The PPU brass is thinner than the Lapua so needs a smaller bushing. Same with Hornady in my opinion and for some of the 7.62 X 39 brands you may need a larger bushing.

You made a good choice. The Redding guy obviously hasn't loaded Gendel ammo using a bushing die.

LR1955

Comment

• pds
                  Warrior
                  • Dec 2012

Originally posted by maverick5582 View Post
                  From personal experience I can recommend staying away from the Redding standard FL Grendel sizing die as it will resize the neck to much. I switched to the Redding S bushing die
                  because I was only getting 3 to 4 reloads on AA brass before the necks were spitting when I was using the standard FL die.

pds

Comment

• Blazin
                    Bloodstained
                    • Sep 2013

I bought a set of Hornady dies from Brownells today, still in stock for $35: http://www.brownells.com/reloading/r...urer_1=HORNADY

Comment

Working...
                    X