120 amax?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 120 amax?

I'm sure this has been covered but I have a few questions I know the 123 grain amax is the better bullet
    I'm not an expert shooter by any means but what I have read to use the 120 Amax bullet (which I picked up 500 for $120 not a smoking deal but an OK deal) it has to be seated deeper
    One what is wrong with doing that
    And two wouldnt i just need to scale down the powder charge
    I have tac powder which I have loaded other Grendel ammo with
    Thanks

BLM

Welcome to the forum. Yeah, it needs to be seated deeper. The 120gr A-MAX was developed for the other 6.5 bores where there is plenty of COL to work with.

The 123gr A-MAX was designed with the Grendel in mind, and does really well at maximizing BC, with a projectile form that fits well for the AR15 mag length COL, as well as minimum case intrusion so that powder capacity can be more.

Comment

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
      Welcome to the forum. Yeah, it needs to be seated deeper. The 120gr A-MAX was developed for the other 6.5 bores where there is plenty of COL to work with.

The 123gr A-MAX was designed with the Grendel in mind, and does really well at maximizing BC, with a projectile form that fits well for the AR15 mag length COL, as well as minimum case intrusion so that powder capacity can be more.
      Long time lurker lots of great info here
      So would I be fine with starting low and loading some up all I'm looking for sure some okush results
      I'm not the best shooter just an average shooter
      I got them from a fellow shooter that used them in his grendel before he sold it

Comment

Maybe 27.5 gr TAC loading is max in the 120 gr Amax. Not real accurate when I tried it. (Thats what is called damming by faint praise.)

Comment

• tackdriver
          Warrior
          • Feb 2013

My 20" 1:9 upper would shoot the 120 a max in groups under 1"@200yds w/28.0 grn of xbr 8208 but you need to start lower and work up in .2-.3gr increments

Comment

Well I'm not sure I'm going to try them looks like I may have to seat them to under 2.20 like around 2.185 which seams a little deep
            I cut the neck of a empty shell put the 120 amax and closed the bolt up against the land it measured 2.190

Maybe I will just sell them and get some 123

Comment

• tackdriver
              Warrior
              • Feb 2013

I did have to shoot them @ 2.200" in my rifle

Comment

Working...
              X