• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LR1955
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by sniper24INF View Post
    They will allow handloaded blanks. I wasn't sure on the star crimp process. I have a few boxes of M200 5.56mm blanks, and that is generally the direction I want to take my 6.5 grendel blank rounds in. I know the M200 utilizes a different powder, would I too have to find a certain powder? My biggest thing is safety, for the rifle will be pointing generally at a live target.
    S24:

Having tried to make 7.62 blanks for sniper courses (the guys forgot to request real blanks), you are way better off with the star crimp die. I tried about every powder you can imagine to include Bullseye pistol and using plugs I epoxied into the 7.62 brass and none of them worked. The pressure will blow out any sort of 'safe' plug and you don't get the 'bang' but do get a bunch of stuff blasting the foliage in front of your position.

Get the start crimp device and save yourself a whole bunch of problems.

LR1955

Comment

• sniper24INF

Roger that. Seems to be the most logical choice. Quick question though, what type of charge should I use though?

Comment

• LR1955
        Super Moderator
        • Mar 2011

Roger that. Seems to be the most logical choice. Quick question though, what type of charge should I use though?
        S24:

I would use a fast rifle powder first and see how loud it is -- given you get the crimp die. I would start with 25 grains or so of a powder like H-335. Since the brass will not be useable for anything but blanks after you use the star crimp die, might as well size down some 7.62 X 39 brass and use it. I would not use dollar a piece Lapua brass. I imagine you will go through five or ten pieces of brass before you find something that makes enough noise to be of value. Remember too that without a blank adapter, no matter what you come up with, it still won't sound like a blank fired from a rifle that uses a blank adapter.

LR1955

Comment

• sniper24INF

Roger sounds good. Yeah, Im just looking for something that goes bang. I know the 7.62 we used for our stalks was sufficient, and we never used any sort of blank adapter, so if I can replicate that then I'm set.

Comment

• Bill Alexander

Blank ammunition is an item we are working on. It needs to be star crimped (easy) and sealed with a urethane (also easy) To work correctly the case must be extended ( not easy) and the rifle requires a BFA to operate the mechanism. The military will not now generally accept ammunition with any form of detachable projectile. I remember shooting wooden projectile ammunition and the stuff was lethal!

Cases for this project are on order but the delivery time is extended.

Comment

• sniper24INF

I should be able to though with a star crimp and sealed, shoot a blank round if I single load it correct? The course calls for the usual two shot scenario.

Comment

I can make a blank adapter that goes over the WCI brake.

Comment

• LR1955
                  Super Moderator
                  • Mar 2011

I should be able to though with a star crimp and sealed, shoot a blank round if I single load it correct? The course calls for the usual two shot scenario.
                  S24:

The blanks are a bit longer than ball in order for them to feed from the magazine. You could make your blanks out of regular brass and insert each one through the ejector port and push into the chamber with your finger. They will eject fine using the charging handle.

They will sound kind of weak due to no blank adapter but we didn't have any other choice with the 24 either.

I would not spend more money on this project than is needed to check the block. In fact, on second thought, I would not even spend the money on a star crimp tool before I tried to crimp the brass using some other technique. You aren't going to be shooting a bunch of blanks out of it over its life cycle so money spent to get two working blanks is basically thrown away.

Try this one and see if it makes enough noise for you.

Take some worn out brass and prime with the primers you want to get rid of. Load it with about 20 grains of any pistol powder. It doesn't matter what type or how fast. I have blown out brass firing 18 grains of Bullseye, 18 grains of Red Dot, Blue Dot, unknown military flake pistol powder. You won't blow up your rifle.

Jam some pillow ticking into the brass to tamp the powder. Leave at least half of the neck open from the pillow ticking. Don't use toilet paper as it catches on fire which you don't want in front of your FFP. Then fill the neck up with some decent wood glue and let it dry for a good day. If you need to, top the necks off if the glue settles. Let them dry and then try them. I use this technique to blow out 7.62 X 39 brass and honestly it makes about as good a noise as you can get given no blank adapter.

Since your FFP will probably be at least 200 from the observers, you don't have to worry about them getting hit with stuff. The only thing you will have to check when finding a powder and deciding on the filler is how much visual signature is created. Most likely they won't see your first shot but once they get a walker within ten, the more crap that flies from the barrel -- the better chance they have of detecting your FFP.

LR1955

Comment

• sniper24INF

Sounds good LR1955, I will set some up and try to test fire this weekend.

Comment

Gene,

You just gave me some horribly-wonderful ideas for pranks...

Comment

Me, being a cheap bastard, would pull some of my 6.5x55 blank wooden bullets. Drop the blank powder from the 6.5x55 case and reseat in a 6.5 Grendel case. Why try to recreate the wheel......... Let me know how this works out.

Comment

• LR1955
                          Super Moderator
                          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by gunner69 View Post
                          Me, being a cheap bastard, would pull some of my 6.5x55 blank wooden bullets. Drop the blank powder from the 6.5x55 case and reseat in a 6.5 Grendel case. Why try to recreate the wheel......... Let me know how this works out.
                          Gunner:

The blank powder is probably a good idea. I have not clue what type of powder they use in blanks. Only that it would probably be dangerous to use with real bullets.

However, he is doing this for a sniper comp and there may be other teams in front of his team and or walkers in front of his team. Also, that wood will really blast foliage when it fires which will just add problems.

Wood bullets are probably not a safe idea in terms of his event.

LR1955

Comment

• stanc
                            Banned
                            • Apr 2011

Possibly useful info on making blank cartridges:
                            A now deceased chairman of a local rifle club wants to have a salute at his funeral service and we are scratching our heads… Normal swedish blanks have a wooden bullet, which is out of the question since it is on a cemetary in a suburban neighborhood. empty cases with a heavy roll crimp does not feed properly in a rebarrelled Mauser action, half the time they catch on something on the way to the chamber. Something like the US M82 blank for the M60 Machinegun could be the answer, but how to make...

Maybe 7.62x45 Czech or 6.5x52 Carcano cases can be used?

Comment

Working...
                            X