• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LR1955
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by DirectDrive View Post
    I think you've got it.
    After reading this thread and viewing the Redding T-7 in action, I am in want.

A progressive is not a good idea for a beginner, IMO.
    A single station is great for developing "feel" and a turret would be nice as well if it fit the budget.
    Couldn't help but notice the semi-retired single station in the background in one of those turret videos.
    DD:

I have a T-7 turret, a RCBS Turret, a Hornady Lock-N-Load auto progressive, two Dillon 450's (their first model), a Bonnanza Co-Ax, and a Lee single stage (used to pull bullets).

Here are the nuances of each.

The T-7 is basically a single stage press with a tool head. It is big, heavy, and is the best single stage press I have owned. I use it for well over 90% of my rifle ammo. However, you won't go spinning the turret around in order to load one cartridge from start to finish. Single stage press with a tool head.

The RCBS Turret I have is a true turret in that you spin the turret for each stage and end up with one loaded cartridge. Nuances are that it's primer feed and seating device is constantly failing to function or to seat primers deeply enough. And when you put a powder measure on it and spin, it settles the powder unevenly so your charges are very inconsistent. It is not big and heavy enough for long brass like .308 and over. I size the brass then hand prime using a RCBS hand priming tool. Then I spin the turret to charge and seat. It is ideal for pistol, 5.56, and Grendel but would be a serious pain sizing down .308 length cases. Basically I use it as a single stage press with a tool holder just like the T-7 and since the T-7 is so much better, it sits and gathers dust.

The Hornady Lock-N-Load Auto Progressive is quite good. It is big enough for rifle cartridges and you can change out calibers faster than with the Dillon 550. Its primer feed is more reliable than the Dillon 550 (but not the 450) and its powder measure is probably more precise than the Dillon when using extruded powders. However, it will bridge periodically, just like any measure I have used on a progressive so the powder dumping sequence requires attention for each cartridge. You may have to turn down the shell plates in order to get primers seated into rifle brass deeply enough.

The Dillon 450's are IMHO superior to the 550's because their primer feed system is simple to adjust, you have to work it so you can feel the primer seat, and most importantly -- it works. The powder measure is also manually operated so you know by feel if it bridged or not. It does not have removable die holders and I think this is a plus because it is stronger as a result. You can adjust ram alignment with them too. It is slower to use than the Hornady and Dillon 550 but it doesn't fail to function as regularly so I think they are better overall.

I use the Co-Ax for one or two cartridges only because I am too lazy to buy another turret for the T-7. The Co-Ax is probably the best single stage press but only because it has a floating die holder that self aligns. Its primer mechanism is single load by hand which means you prime using a bench or hand primer.

The Lee 'Classic' single stage uses a very innovative design but it springs back way more than the other presses I own so I use it to pull bullets.

I have also owned in the past the Lyman turret, Dillon 550, and a RCBS Rock Chucker. I regret selling the Lyman as it is a superior turret compared to the RCBS.

LR55

Comment

• DirectDrive

Very nice summary LR55.
      A wealth of info there that would not be found through via web research.

Crystal clear on the T-7 and still in want

Comment

Originally posted by pinzgauer View Post
        I was a long time turret user until I encountered the Forster Co-Ax. Dies changes faster than you can move a turret, and many other advantages. Not the cheapest, but it will last generations.
        I too use the Forster Co-Ax and while it is not a turret style it does have many advantages, the power to resize is alone a great advantage. everything is there.. self adjusting jaws, primer press, primer catcher and the ability to change dies super fast.. I've never owned a turret press I can tell you that I have been reloading for about 3 years and still I don't think I am ready for such.. It makes more sense to have control over every round.. but that's just me.. For the record, I hunt, I don't compete however I have won a lot of 12pks from my buddies at the range.. just my .02

-Juanjo322

Comment

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
          QC:

You got the functional differences very clearly.

Now, which one do you think is 'safer' to use in terms of ensuring your primers are seated deeply enough and that you didn't overcharge or undercharge a case?

LR55
          LR1955, Sounds like adding a Powder Cop Die would be a good idea. That way, you'd easlily be able to see if a case if overcharged or undercharged.

Comment

• LR1955
            Super Moderator
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by QuadCam View Post
            LR1955, Sounds like adding a Powder Cop Die would be a good idea. That way, you'd easlily be able to see if a case if overcharged or undercharged.
            QC:

Certainly, they work -- provided you look at them for each shot. And that is the point when it comes to progressives verses turrets or single stage. What to look at and when in the loading process.

Which is why I asked about safety and not dies or tools.

The faster you can work a machine, the less time you have to pay attention to key portions of the process.

LR1955

Comment

Working...
            X