120g Barnes TTTX: range report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those should do pretty well -- am hoping you get a chance to try them on varmints or hogs between now and then so we can hear how well they do!

Comment

MPSTAN, it sounds like we hunt about the same. 18" barrel short to 300 yards range. The 120 Barnes is a great bullet for this but pricy. I have killed deer and hogs with it no problem. It is a little longer and intrudes on the powder in the brass more than I like . The 100 grain Barnes offering is a GREAT choice for the future, if you have the money go for it. But if you want to shoot your Grendel a lot and work up a good hunting load the 120 "regular" soft point hunting bullets work just as well out to 300 yards.

Comment

• Drifter
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Apexarms View Post
        Shot 100gr ttsx's ... 2685 fps ... These drop to 1800 fps between 450 and 500 yards.
        When I run those numbers, I get different data. 1800 fps is ~390 yards.

I just got a reply via e-mail from Barnes regarding minimum expansion velocity for 6.5mm 100gr and 120gr TTSX's. Indication was indeed 1800 fps.

For what it's worth, Barnes offers a 6.8mm 95gr TTSX with reliable expansion at 1600 fps. If they would do the same for the 6.5mm 100gr TTSX, it would theoretically extend the performance range another 100 yards or so.
        Drifter

Comment

So I recently purchased 100 bullets of the Barnes TTSX 120gr. I probably would have gone with a lighter Barnes bullet if I would have read this info first, but that's what I have. Anyways, I was going to use to this bullet to develop a hunting round for the grendel. I've already got IMR 8208 XMR powder that I'm using for SMKs. Does anyone have any load data for the round and powder combination or suggestions on where to start?

Comment

I should have checked the Barnes load data on the IMR site first. I'll run with their load data of 25grs to 28grs max. (2419ft/sec).
            I ran these numbers through Bullet Flight ballistic ap. and with the above mentioned max muzzle velocity of 2419 with this load, you will drop down to minimum expansion vel of 1800 ft/sec at 345 yrds (of course this assumes that the published bc is accurate for the G1). I don't see myself every hunting past 300 yrds so this load has good potential. Keep ya'll posted on the actual performance when I get a chance to test it.

Comment

So I recently purchased 100 bullets of the Barnes TTSX 120gr. I probably would have gone with a lighter Barnes bullet if I would have read this info first, but that's what I have.
              You shouldn't feel bad about your choice, at all. The 120 is the better bullet. From the same barrel, it will offer higher energy, higher ballistic coefficient, and higher sectional density. The only thing the higher muzzle velocity of the 100 gr gets you is 1" less drop past 400 yards.

Comment

Apex.........could you send me pics of your deer? Thanks.........

BTW......reason I ask is that I killed a couple of deer this year and I would like to see the damage you experienced with the Barnes projectile. I am seriously considering this loading for next years season and would like to know what sort of deer you are dropping so quickly. I mean weight of course.........

Thank you for the info!

Comment

Stopped by Barnes booth today at SHOT and they have some new Long-Range hunting bullets called the LRX series. They have a 127gr .264 LRX that is meant to open up at much lower velocities, but it looks too long for the AR15 frame unfortunately. It will fit with the ogive, but case capacity will be sacrificed. Still should make a good closer range bullet for the Grendel. One of their engineers was saying 1400fps threshold expansion velocity I believe. It isn't as long as the Hornady 120gr GMX, so maybe there is some hope for it in the Grendel. Had a great talk with him about their 6.5 bullets.
                  Last edited by Guest; 01-26-2012, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Im a barnes TTSX fan, what would be the optimum weight for the Grendel, Im not sure if I want to use 100gr or 120gr yet.. Thoughts? This will be for deer and coyotes, and whatever else I can find to shoot.

Comment

A lot will depend on your probable hunting ranges and shooting style/equipment.

Both should be equally deadly at all ranges you can reliably hit at.

If you plan to take 90% of your shots at under 300 yards, the 100 gr variant is probably preferred because you can arrange for a zero where you can use more or less the same hold out to between 250 - 300 yards and be able to get by with placing the crosshairs at about the spine for another 50 yards.

On the other hand, if you're planning on taking shots out past 350 yards, have a turreted scope AND are comfortable with setting the right number of clicks, doping wind, uphill and downhill shots, etc. then the 120 gr is likely a better choice. Two reasons: First the heavier, higher BC bullet will buck the wind better. Second the heavier bullet will penetrate better and the higher retained velocity will help with reliable expansion.

Comment

I do plan to use a turret scope, and Im comfy with shots any angle. Thanks for the info. Probably not many shots past 350, but you never know. With a 16" barrel.

Comment

Originally posted by JASmith View Post
                          A lot will depend on your probable hunting ranges and shooting style/equipment.

Both should be equally deadly at all ranges you can reliably hit at.

If you plan to take 90% of your shots at under 300 yards, the 100 gr variant is probably preferred because you can arrange for a zero where you can use more or less the same hold out to between 250 - 300 yards and be able to get by with placing the crosshairs at about the spine for another 50 yards.

On the other hand, if you're planning on taking shots out past 350 yards, have a turreted scope AND are comfortable with setting the right number of clicks, doping wind, uphill and downhill shots, etc. then the 120 gr is likely a better choice. Two reasons: First the heavier, higher BC bullet will buck the wind better. Second the heavier bullet will penetrate better and the higher retained velocity will help with reliable expansion.
                          This statement is a little confusing. The objective is to have enough velocity at range of impact to generate the force needed to expand the deadly sharp pedals. If you don't have the bullet expansion there is zero reason to use the ttsx bullet.

Barnes is reporting that you need at least 1800ft/sec to achieve this expansion. This puts the 120 gr max range at around 350 yrds (depending on load) to utilize the bullets terminal potential. The lighter 100 gr bullet will have high velocity but lighter mass. It's really the impact force that generates the bullet expansion. Force is a function of mass x acceleration. A120gr bullet at 18ft/sec is about 862ft/lbs of force (this must be the force impact threshold for expansion of the 120gr ttsx). To evaluate the 100gr bullet at the same distance you would do a similar calculation to get a apples to apples comparison of force for expansion. This negates the advantages of other factors such as wind drift ect.

Comment

350 yard max range for the 120 gr TTSX is consistent with my understanding for shorter barrels.

The comments about longer ranges apply to longer barrels or to 120 gr-class bullets with lower minimum listed velocities. Remember also that the 1800 ft/sec is not an absolute, so one can expect some expansion at lower velocities.

It's one of the reasons we need to encourage Barnes and others to design bullets with 1400 ft/sec suggested minimum velocities.

Comment

• bwaites
                              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by JASmith View Post
                              350 yard max range for the 120 gr TTSX is consistent with my understanding for shorter barrels.

The comments about longer ranges apply to longer barrels or to 120 gr-class bullets with lower minimum listed velocities. Remember also that the 1800 ft/sec is not an absolute, so one can expect some expansion at lower velocities.

It's one of the reasons we need to encourage Barnes and others to design bullets with 1400 ft/sec suggested minimum velocities.
                              Easy to do, hard to accomplish if you aren't using mono-metal bullets, and they are expensive. If you make them expand at low velocities, they have a tendency to blow up at higher velocities, which creates its own issues.

With solid bullets like Barnes, that is mitigated by the monometal construction, but creates real issues with other types of bullets, including even the "bonded" bullets.

We don't need more expensive bullets! LOL!!

Comment

Im still undecided, I guess I dont have to go with Barnes, I just like to shoot all the same stuff in everything. Mule deer up to 300 yds out of my 16", thoughts? I bought primers and the 8208 powder, just have to get some bullets and start the fun...

Comment

Working...
                                X