Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

These are mono metal bullets, produced using an automatic lathe.

Barnes has a video demonstrating their production process somewhere on their web site.

The Barnes version only demonstrated slightly better penetration than traditional bullets did, not fully penetrating a 1/2" mild steel plate.

I planned on repeating that test with the Elite version, but never got the chance. If someone has some, I'd be happy to load a few up and shoot the steel plate again.

I actually shot both standard bullets and then shaved off the point, to see if all the energy was being used up to collapse that point, thus not allowing penetration. The flat point bullets did no better.

Last edited by bwaites; 08-02-2011, 09:42 PM.

Comment

• jwilson1985

bwaites how did u make these or did u buy them i looked at the gs stuff but he heaviest they make is a 113gr

Comment

• bwaites
        • Mar 2011

Those are Barnes 110 grain solids. Barnes has evidently suspended sales, but if you look around online you can find them. Try Midway, Natchez, etc.

Solids do not "squish" as well as traditional bullets, so be very conservative with loads when you start shooting them. Even though they may have less drag due to the machined banding and decreased surface area, they still are an interesting loading proposition.

Most monometal bullets are longer than their same weight lead bullets, so if you go much beyond 110-115 grains you will lose powder capacity in the case.

Comment

• bwaites
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by stanc View Post
          GS Custom also makes solids.
          Yep, but getting them here is a total pain in the rear!! AND their BC numbers sure are suspect!

Comment

• jwilson1985

what are the bc on the solids in the light grains like that compaired to the so called king 123 lapua and all im gonna be doing is long range plates and paper

Comment

• bwaites
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by jwilson1985 View Post
              what are the bc on the solids in the light grains like that compaired to the so called king 123 lapua and all im gonna be doing is long range plates and paper
              The BC of the 110 is .452, not in the class of the 123 Sierra or Lapua. Not quite in the 107 Sierra or 108 Lapua class which are in the .462 range.

Comment

• stanc
                Banned
                • Apr 2011

Originally posted by StoneTower View Post
                There is a lot of discussion about the ATF ruling on other forums but the ruling is total BS What I am not clear on is did they make it against the law to make 6.5, 5.56 and 6.8 turned copper bullets or is it the loaded ammunition. It seems the ruling specifically classifies .223, 6.5 Grendel and 6.8SPC cartridges as pistol cartridges.
                There was also a thread about this on the 68forums, some of whose members were as irate as a few on this forum. Calmer heads looked into the matter, and determined there was no such ruling.

Reportedly, the action taken against Elite was solely in response to something that particular company did, and had nothing to do with the solid brass bullets made by Barnes and other makers.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled program...

Comment

• bwaites
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by stanc View Post
                  There was also a thread about this on the 68forums, some of whose members were as irate as a few on this forum. Calmer heads looked into the matter, and determined there was no such ruling.

Reportedly, the action taken against Elite was solely in response to something that particular company did, and had nothing to do with the solid brass bullets made by Barnes and other makers.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled program...
                  Well, maybe.......The ATF doesn't make everything public right away....remember Operation Gun Runner? It worried Barnes enough that they said:

The Barnes all copper designs are not armor piercing and are not subject to this new ruling. To my knowledge we have not been contacted by the BATF about the Brass Solids – however that is the rumor and we have suspended sales of that product in certain calibers until this issue is sorted out.

Thanks, Ty

Ty Herring | Consumer Service - Lead Tech
                  Barnes Bullets, LLC

So there was enough rumor to make them pull theirs, and .223, 6mm, 6.5mm, .308 are all listed as "Sold Out". That was NEVER the case previously, (at least where all those calibers were sold out at the same time!) as I ordered the 6.5 version multiple times and never had seen that before.

I don't know if they are actually sold out, or if they are not putting them back on the site until this issue is resolved.

Its interesting that the ATF didn't shut down Elite, as is their custom....

Comment

• stanc
                    Banned
                    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
                    It worried Barnes enough that they said:

To my knowledge we have not been contacted by the BATF about the Brass Solids – however that is the rumor and we have suspended sales of that product in certain calibers until this issue is sorted out.

So there was enough rumor to make them pull theirs, and .223, 6mm, 6.5mm, .308 are all listed as "Sold Out".
                    .277 also. Yet curiously, .257 and .284 solids are still available. Since neither .243 nor .308 were included in the purported "ruling," that could indicate you were right about panic buying.
                    I don't know if they are actually sold out, or if they are not putting them back on the site until this issue is resolved.
                    I'm sure that Barnes is just exercising prudent caution until they get official clarification. Plus, Barnes was acting solely on rumor, not notification by ATF.

Note that it's only Elite Ammo who's said there was such a ruling. AFAIK, ATF has not.

Comment

• jwilson1985

i found sum guys 120 gr hpbt copper solids bc is 500 did i mention they r high well not to bad i guess

Comment

• bwaites
                        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by jwilson1985 View Post
                        i found sum guys 120 gr hpbt copper solids bc is 500 did i mention they r high well not to bad i guess
                        http://site.cuttingedgebullets.com/bullet_detail?id=72
                        $1.10 a projectile, with a BC below Lapua 123's, Sierra 123's, and even AMAX 123's, (which cost about 26 cents a piece!).

That doesn't work to well for me, the economics are messed up. Plus, its simply a copper bullet, not any tougher than a typical Barnes.

Comment

• jwilson1985

ya me nether but i found sum lol ive been shooting the factory 123 amax loads but i have mixed groups with them so been wanting to try some different ammo im shooting one of our own riffles with a liberty barrel 1-7 twist stainless so havent found what it likes yet only have 70 rds through it...all are sub moa but some time it puts 5 rds same hole so idk maybe me
                          Last edited by Guest; 08-04-2011, 06:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X