X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sneaky one
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

My views of these posts are going in reverese= no joke.

Glad to see someone could take my foto out for all to see. Virus here, hard to fix. Came from the forum, my comp. expert son stated.

Talked to Hanka tonite, yes the tipps are long, I always go to the extreme, it's easier to corral the gang back to reality that way.

New tip idea will be 7-7.5mm long. John gave me a few more specs., it should be good , as an easy to make-90-100 grn. pill. It's gonna take some time - hunting season is upon a many of us -timing is always an issue. I prefer the 8mm tip tho,,,

this spam attack has hit a many on here, in odd ways. I'll put what I can into an album- easily done. Posting,

pm.,'ing can be a challenge some days.

Comment

• PredatorDown
      Warrior
      • Jun 2014

Not sure if it's true or not, but I heard Berry's Manufacturing actually makes the polymer tips for Barnes. Might be worth a call to see what they have.

Comment

• stanc
        Banned
        • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Bigfoot View Post
        It's late and I gotta work early. If anyone can dig up pics of sectioned 110 Blackout and 95 gr 6.8 TTSX please post them.
        Had no luck finding a sectioned 110gr TAC-TX, but here's the 95gr TTSX (and a few others):

Comment

• stanc
          Banned
          • Apr 2011

AHEM:
          Ah. Super! I was in Sneaky's photo album a few days ago, but didn't come across that pic. I thought all he was doing was reconfiguring the base of the bullets, and he never corrected me.

Comment

• txgunner00
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

I called Corbins yesterday and the technician I spoke with said it is possible to swage down solid copper bullets but .006" is about the limit where the results are predictable. Beyond that it may or may not deform in desirable ways.
            NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

• Variable
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

AHEM:

Doesn't matter how the original bullet expanded, gilding or pure copper. If you control the nose cavity you control the terminal performance.

Thanks for the info on the others, Sneaky likes the GMX and it'll work with the correct tip.

BTW Stanc, couldn't agree more on reducing the diameter of the .308 110 Blackout bullet for testing. Great idea. Course it's new velocity is several hundred FPS faster than the Blackout and it's structural integrity has been reduced by turning it's diameter down so.. That's why I recommended doing the same with the 95 gr 6.8 TTSX and testing it also. The long nose isn't there but the amount of copper surrounding the nose cavity might be about right. Bet you could acquire some 6.8 TTSX's for dissection, measure the wall thickness around the cavity, drill the cavity in the GMX to achieve the same wall thickness and then reduce the diameter of the Blackout bullets poly insert to fit that cavity.

It's going to be tough for anybody other than a manufacturer to R&D the perfect nose cavitity because we don't have access to various sized tip inserts. I applaud the audacity of our members. Gonna be lots of trial and error. Could get spendy. Let me know if I can help offset that or provide materials. Would be real nice if we could acquire the 110 Blackout tips from Barnes and adjust the diameter of the insert until nirvana is found. Worth an email request.
              Agreed. Control the nose, control the terminal performance.

I'm pretty interested in the shape of the second bullet from the left in that picture. I'd like to see how it expands.
              Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
              We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• sneaky one
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

113.jpgLets see what works anymore here

I'm at a spot , happy yet confused as to how I did- or fixed this.

I redid the tips , today- after getting some true specs from Hanka John--- last nite.

I'll try to post a new pic here soon- sorry to bug everyone, yet I want my comp to run fine again also- trials make better. It's still off a bit- nite.
                Last edited by sneaky one; 10-04-2014, 02:32 AM.

Comment

• Variable
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

I hear you on the computer issues Sneaky. My ipad was acting wonky so I did a full update and ended up semi-bricking it. I managed to update and full restore it this morning, but now I'm still figuring out settings and configs for the new OS. The data service at my home and work areas has been really acting up too. Everything is a bit "off" on my end.

Your picture works now too. I'm pretty interested in the bullet in that pic that's the second one from the left. It looks like it might have some promise.
                  Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                  We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• sneaky one
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Yes the orig Huge Tip idea was cool to some, scary to others. The ( Idea pills are around the 95-100 grn. idealy,,, ) ..

After talking w/ Hanka for a while last nite-- I explained the realities of wt. reduction to him-- we may end up in the 80-=90 grn. class on this lil pill.

This also,, kinda --- is what a few of us have been up to, as a hunting pill., probly why I got upset last week- I felt it mirrored our stuff, yet now it's kinda obvious to me .

A HUGE following is there, to be tapped- I have talked to a many on here of lighter pills.

I asked Bill A first , after I found the semi golden goose- of his thots.. He helped me re-align my direction to the best wt. classes to try. This was 3-4 years ago.
                    Not the best promoter of Barney pills, yet I do use them..

Lt. to Rt.

BTW, this is not about money. It's only to find the best target- hunting, combo pills for us all .

a stock 120 GMX. Second is a 100 class of huge tipped GMX. Third is a 100 GMX, waiting for a 5 grn. tail spin , then to send to tools of the trade- we have traded for almost 4 years now.

Fourth is a stock 120 TTSX, from rickoshay- I like to tease== richochet! We sent bullets back forth, at Least 5-7 times this spring -summer. Future looks good, gotta wait, tho for this. Timing was off a tad? - == a month or so ., on this- hang time is cool.

No hurry on our end-ideas on the cool new pills. My comp. loves me... jokey.
                    Fifth is a 95-100 grn. wt. class also from the extra's from R.O.S. same 120 TTSX, honed to a nice idea. I actually like this one! Can be pushed harder - on speeds due to the extra groove , baby!

I have tried so many of these- all are cool, some are tougher, some are faster.. Just wait till the 3200 fps pill is shown, GMX baby-== 74 grns.

The last 3 are my S 40 project- same cool lead free pills, don't cost that much, to have Awesome performance on game-- yes= better than std pills.

I''l see if new pic can be loaded on here.

The
                    Last edited by sneaky one; 10-04-2014, 01:53 AM.

Comment

• Bigfoot
                      Bloodstained
                      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by PredatorDown View Post
                      Not sure if it's true or not, but I heard Berry's Manufacturing actually makes the polymer tips for Barnes. Might be worth a call to see what they have.
                      Interesting! Barry's makes plated bullets which is an inexpensive, precise way to manufacture a bonded bullet ala Fusion, Deep Curl etc. If they also make the tips....................... can they also manufacture a plated/bonded version of Hanka's proposal. It would much less expensive. Plus a small manufacturers might be more flexible and easier to deal with than the giants.

Comment

• sneaky one
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

Stan, thanks for the cool pics on the .270 pills. That shed a Lot of light on whats up in the monolithic pill world.

6.5 is still the king, on this. Length of pill makes it easier to deal with , on my end. I do cut the .308's too for my S 40- yet a small pain.

Hanka needs to contact Berry manuf., and coerse them into a hundred pack for RS & I to start makin demos.. .30 cal. units are fine.

I am to meet him this wk. to -have dinner, hand over some pills, draw a plan up, set some specs. in place--- as a start point....

Then the talks begin on details, RS's time frame-- he's in HUGE HUNT MODE THIS TIME OF YEAR !!!! OMg, x 20. Mine is a comin up too!

I'll do the tails here- and the initial frontal reduction, then send south to get final honed- deep core drilled- and tip installed--got to make a tool for that. All this takes time. Patience is the best thing us guys could ever learn.

We can do this. Hanka may send a foto chopped version out here. We are on this, just takes a huge effort, and some time. I'll try my new pic now.

No- there will be no group buy, on what we mock up--- If these end up being made by, say,, Horn., Barney- you'll have to buy them there.

Royal pain to make is why! It is $ 5.00 per unit to make. We will send a few dozen out to the manuf's.
                        Last edited by sneaky one; 10-04-2014, 01:25 AM.

Comment

• stanc
                          Banned
                          • Apr 2011

Originally posted by sneaky one View Post
                          Stan, thanks for the cool pics on the .270 pills. That shed a Lot of light on whats up in the monolithic pill world.

6.5 is still the king, on this. Length of pill makes it easier to deal with , on my end.
                          You're welcome, but it's the 6.8 fan who actually deserves the thanks. I went looking for pics of 6.5 pills, but found nothing even remotely as good as the 6.8 photos.
                          I'll do the tails here- and the initial frontal reduction, then send south to get final honed- deep core drilled- and tip installed--got to make a tool for that. All this takes time. Patience is the best thing us guys could ever learn.
                          Yeah. I don't know about anybody else, but it's a whole lot easier for me to have patience if I'm at least somewhat informed as to what's going on.

No offense intended, but being told nothing beyond, "Have patience," just doesn't cut it.

Comment

• sneaky one
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

Think 2-3 weeks out- Hanka & I need to have our sitdown, It will be this week. Don't worry Stan, we love ya!- We just need to define the perameters of this project.
                            It's gotten too big, kinda- A simplistic approach is sometimes best on these ideas. we will shed our thots after that din din, oh- a beer will be included.

As far as pills are concerned, RS & I have a small plan, - after I send them to him, he will set about to drill to whatever tips., we get=the insert shaft diam. into the copper pill.. It will take a few to get this right . Many diff drill sizes out there-- then a shot or two- then all back to Hanka to push to the manuf's..
                            Make sense guys?

Comment

• Bigfoot
                              Bloodstained
                              • Sep 2014

Fifth is a 95-100 grn. wt. class also from the extra's from R.O.S. same 120 TTSX, honed to a nice idea. I actually like this one! Can be pushed harder - on speeds due to the extra groove , baby!
                              K, I know we are still in prototype stage but Sneaky brought it up so I'll use that as an excuse to take it to another level. The grooves on a mono bullet are there to reduce chamber pressure, gives the metal displaced by the lands a place to go. Lead core bullets deform much easier. Those grooves vastly reduce BC. The grooveless (until recently) E-tips prove this. BTW the first E-Tip to get a groove was the 6.8 bullets, and they called it a cannelure because it was meant for a semi-auto. Funny how after that all E-tips got a "cannelure" despite being used in many different case lengths like the .308 caliber bullets for instance. The 110 Blackout bullet has only one groove (short shank) and the long distance LRX has two grooves to help BC as compared to most TTSX's having three. Grooves are a necessary evil in monos.

The ideal bullet for longer distance has no grooves. How to reduce pressure, insure effortless deformation on a mono bullet? Sneaky is halfway there already, drill a hole from the tip junction to the rear of the shank and give the copper a place to expand and eliminate the need for the BC killing grooves.

Another way to eliminate grooves is to make the bullet the diameter of the lands and use raised bands to seal the grooves and impart the spin. This is how GS Custom bullets reduce chamber pressure so much that additional powder is recommended to get the velocity back up. The dang bullet launches out of the barrel like a lighter weight bullet so they require a faster burn rate powder or just a hotter load than would be required in a same weight standard bullet. GS Customs are great out-of-the-box thinking and just going to their site and reading will show you that there are many ways to achieve your goals. My concern is they are using smaller, lands-diameter bullets with only the bands being .264. My idea should achieve the same easy deformation/reduced pressure/higher velocity goal and still keep the full diameter .264 profile.

Less chamber pressure with the fewest BC killing grooves should be a goal for a clean sheet bullet. I've been wondering for years that while they are drilling out the nose cavity why they don't drill a smaller hole down to the BT for copper displacement and eliminate those damned grooves.
                              Last edited by Bigfoot; 10-04-2014, 02:40 AM.

Comment

• stanc
                                Banned
                                • Apr 2011

As far as pills are concerned, RS & I have a small plan, - after I send them to him, he will set about to drill to whatever tips., we get=the insert shaft diam. into the copper pill.. It will take a few to get this right . Many diff drill sizes out there-- then a shot or two- then all back to Hanka to push to the manuf's..
                                Make sense guys?
                                Sounds reasonable to me. And since I'm really only interested in FMJ and military bullets anyway, I'm going to step back and let y'all work without being pestered further by me...

Comment

Working...
                                X