BjornF16: 500
      Montana: 500
      Cory: 500
      D.Davis: 500
      TPlace: 500
      Crippleshot1: 500
      Total to date: 4500

22.5% there!
      Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
      We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
        Warrior
        • Oct 2012

Hey! I wasn't counted. : (

Comment

• stanc
          Banned
          • Apr 2011

Originally posted by KentuckyBuddha View Post
          Hey! I wasn't counted. : (
          Perhaps because you didn't give a specific quantity?

Comment

• Variable
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Yep, need a quantity!

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
              Warrior
              • Oct 2012

Oh I said "thousands" but 500 is what everyone else is doing. It would be poor form I reckon to be the odd one out. lol

Comment

• Variable
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by KentuckyBuddha View Post
                Oh I said "thousands" but 500 is what everyone else is doing. It would be poor form I reckon to be the odd one out. lol
                I just didn't want to pin you to a quantity pledge.LOL I put you down for 500, but I'd gladly volunteer you for thousands though! Just pledge a fixed number. LOL!

Buster: 500
                Variable: 500
                Jawbone: 500
                BjornF16: 500
                Montana: 500
                Cory: 500
                D.Davis: 500
                TPlace: 500
                Crippleshot1: 500
                KentuckyBuddha: 500

Total to date: 5000

25% there (unless KentuckyBuddha wants more! )

Comment

• sneaky one
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

The best is yet to come , on these ideas. Hang for a few more weeks... No pre orders to be sent in... wait for the data sheets, samples, vids to be sent in firstly- we are all in this together- we have put a great effort into this, as a team. Let's let the numbers play out, as they may.

The gel tests are the best end game . as a visual aide. Don't count the chicks, before the eggs are laid . Patience is a true guide in life.

Stanc, voice of reasoning here ? We are not ready , yet!!!!

Summer sausage..... droooooolll,,,, ROs too,

If this plan is to work, we will need a many more team mates - sadly, the forum was recently hacked- yet we move forward.

Talked to Hanka today, he agreed on the mid zone on the initial BC speak of the black tipped .30 unit he orig., posted. It would be a bit extreme in the 6.5 mm round.

Something in between would be ideal, after we spoke of the Gmx- he was enlightened!

We are still on the hunt for those long tips, Bigfoot- where are you now? The .30 cal tips are fine. Lots of things happening, all at once.

Comment

• Variable
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by sneaky one View Post
                    The best is yet to come , on these ideas. Hang for a few more weeks... No pre orders to be sent in... wait for the data sheets, samples, vids to be sent in firstly- we are all in this together- we have put a great effort into this, as a team. Let's let the numbers play out, as they may.

The gel tests are the best end game . as a visual aide. Don't count the chicks, before the eggs are laid . Patience is a true guide in life.

Stanc, voice of reasoning here ? We are not ready , yet!!!!

Summer sausage..... droooooolll,,,, ROs too,

If this plan is to work, we will need a many more team mates - sadly, the forum was recently hacked- yet we move forward.

Talked to Hanka today, he agreed on the mid zone on the initial BC speak of the black tipped .30 unit he orig., posted. It would be a bit extreme in the 6.5 mm round.

Something in between would be ideal, after we spoke of the Gmx- he was enlightened!

We are still on the hunt for those long tips, Bigfoot- where are you now? The .30 cal tips are fine. Lots of things happening, all at once.
                    Sorry Sneaky, sometimes I can read and/or decipher your posts just fine, but sometimes I get lost too.LOL

Can I get a more precise translation on the part in red?

Comment

• sneaky one
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

Rasp, hop in. Tx gunner too. Lighter mono pills are the next logical step. Many states will go lead free in the future.

Bonded are good for now,,,only a few out there tho..

Comment

• sneaky one
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

Vari- I meant his first choice was a bit extreme , as to transfer that tip onto a 6.5 mm pill-- it would be a bugger to load that into a Grr case== too long, and too deeply seated.

Comment

• sneaky one
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

That's why the GMX rocks, it has the frontal cone for high bC's- it's stable in flight, easy to tweak to a desired wt. Consistant accuracy., over a broad range of wts.,, speeds.

L-52 said that he spoke to the Grr guy on the Shot show event., it was said that they- Hornady- was looking into a lighter pill for the Grendel Grrr.

It's here now- as to what I have made- tested thru the gang here- It does not need a different alloy inside, just a wt. correction is all.

Comment

• Variable
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by sneaky one View Post
                            Vari- I meant his first choice was a bit extreme , as to transfer that tip onto a 6.5 mm pill-- it would be a bugger to load that into a Grr case== too long, and too deeply seated.
                            Are you talking about his proposed bullet on the right (at this link: http://www.65grendel.com/forum/attac...0&d=1411106209 ) that bullet has a length of 1.175" if I'm adding right.

That puts it between a 100gr. Nosler BT (1.080") and a 120gr. Nosler BT (1.220"). Actually just shorter than the 120 Nosler BT.

His design looked to my (admittedly uneducated) eye like it could be seated longer than the Nosler 120 as well. I wouldn't think that'd eat up the powder space unduly?

I can see the gripe about the larger tip during seating, but if it took that to get: a good BC, allow good opening to low velocities, and expansion like the .30 Tac-TX at the same time-- I wouldn't even blink before modifying a seater stem for it. I'd jump on something like that with both feet.

I might be missing something somewhere though. It wouldn't be the first time!

I see you mention the Hornady GMX. They list the 6.5 120 GMX with a BC of .450. If you shorten that one down to 100 grains, could it still squeak out a BC of .400? If it can, and if it'd open up as well as the Tac-TX, I'd be pretty interested in that one as well.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                              Administrator
                              • Feb 2011

Variable, I'm leaning toward the short boat tail as shown on my concept sheet (if it makes the pill go from 100gr to 95gr I'd also be OK with that). First, makes room for more powder. Second, velocity of lighter bullet largely takes care of BC out to, oh, 500 yards. What BC we do design in — with the hybrid VLD and short boat tail — is gravy for those instances when a guy doesn't want to use a 123 A-Max for long range but also wants to stretch out his 100 Tac-TX type bullet.

As I look at the market's current projectile range for the 6.5 Grendel, I see plenty of medium to heavy bullets. But the lighter weights I see I'm not happy with. The short nose on the Hornady 95 VMax, for example, is an egregious waste of the 6.5 Grendel's OAL capacity. The fat tangent ogive on the 100 Barnes TTSX is causing pressure build-up to limit velocity (I'm guessing). So what I want is lightweight VLDs. Velocity and BC. It'll take care of the vast majority of 65G shooters and, do it right, it just might surprise some long-range shooters.

P.S. The 6.5 Grendel compound throat is set up to work very nicely with VLDs. Funny thing, that!
                              :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• Variable
                                Chieftain
                                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by HANKA View Post
                                Variable, I'm leaning toward the short boat tail as shown on my concept sheet (if it makes the pill go from 100gr to 95gr I'd also be OK with that). First, makes room for more powder. Second, velocity of lighter bullet largely takes care of BC out to, oh, 500 yards. What BC we do design in — with the hybrid VLD and short boat tail — is gravy for those instances when a guy doesn't want to use a 123 A-Max for long range but also wants to stretch out his 100 Tac-TX type bullet.

As I look at the market's current projectile range for the 6.5 Grendel, I see plenty of medium to heavy bullets. And the lighter weights I see I'm not happy with. The short nose on the Hornady 95 VMax, for example, is an egregious waste of the 6.5 Grendel's OAL capacity. The fat tangent ogive on the 100 Barnes TTSX is causing pressure build-up to limit velocity (I'm guessing). So what I want is lightweight VLDs. Velocity and BC. It'll take care of the vast majority of 65G shooters and, do it right, it just might surprise some long-range shooters.
                                Agreed 100%!

I wasn't too excited about the solids I saw before, because they looked to have the aerodynamics of a brick. I got pretty wound up looking at your proposal though, because I think your idea for cleaning up the BC might fix that.

I don't expect a 95-100gr. bullet to have a .510 BC, but if it could be coaxed to squeak out a .400 BC, then things get a lot more interesting to me. Being a short barreled rifle hunter, I need to keep all the speed I can get if I want some range too.

Using the pic I put up above, look at the 120 and 100 gr. Noslers. Same bullet, but they chopped off 20 grains worth. That poleaxed the BC from .458 all the way down to .350. I'm guessing that to get an honest .4 BC with a 95-100 grain bullet it'd need all the secant hybrid goodness it can get. If the larger and longer polymer tip you posited would make that happen while also assisting in getting gorgeous low velocity expansion.... Let's just say that I'd be willing to take a bearded axe to any door holding me back from buying it! Boiling oil be damned!
                                Last edited by Variable; 09-22-2014, 03:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X