• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Variable
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by WHITEBULL View Post
    A high BC, lower weight, 85 - 100gr pill, in copper, is perfect for us in the Republic of Cali. I was hoping the steel case Wolfe ammo was at least part of the equation, but I wouldn't know, yet. Still waiting. Not trying to shake things up or anything, I'll commit to 750 rds.
    Cool!

That'd make:

Buster: 500
    Variable: 500
    Jawbone: 500
    BjornF16: 500
    Montana: 500
    Cory: 500
    D.Davis: 500
    TPlace: 500
    Crippleshot1: 500
    KentuckyBuddha: 500
    Whitebull: 750

Total possible to date: 5750

That'd be 28.75% of a 20,000 bullet order.
    Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
    We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• Variable
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Similar to John's bullet, here is what my feverish brain is seeing:

Standard Hornady 6.5mm 123gr. Amax

My crude attempt at drawing an idealized monometal bullet. I'll call mine "Project X-Wing"

All copper (in place of the lead core).
      Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
      We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• txgunner00
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

I like where this is heading... Definitely interested but I'm stacked DEEP in 6.5 various bullets at the moment. It will take me years to shoot the bullets I already have at the rate I'm going.
        NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

• Blacklab
          Warrior
          • Mar 2012

Originally posted by txgunner00 View Post
          Definitely interested but I'm stacked DEEP in 6.5 various bullets at the moment. It will take me years to shoot the bullets I already have at the rate I'm going.
          Your a lucky man.....wink
          Hey I'm not a complete idiot I have parts missing. Though some times I wonder.

Grendellizing predators as of the fall of 2012.

Small bullets that go really fast, make me giggle...........

Comment

• cory
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2012

I like where this is heading... Definitely interested but I'm stacked DEEP in 6.5 various bullets at the moment. It will take me years to shoot the bullets I already have at the rate I'm going.
            Just send me a pile of them. I'll help you make some room. haha
            "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
              Administrator
              • Feb 2011

Photochopped mockup of a Hornady GMX with big tip. I also envision the tip being swapped out for something akin to M855A1. Heh, heh, heh. . . .

Oh, yes, BTW, I did a quick check in the JBM ballistics calculator of a 0.400 BC 6.5mm 100gr at 2600 fps and it slows to about 1600 fps at roughly 500 yards. Good enough for most of ya'll?
              Attached Files
              :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• montana
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2011

Originally posted by hanka View Post
                photochopped mockup of a hornady gmx with big tip. I also envision the tip being swapped out for something akin to m855a1. Heh, heh, heh. . . .

Oh, yes, btw, i did a quick check in the jbm ballistics calculator of a 0.400 bc 6.5mm 100gr at 2600 fps and it slows to about 1600 fps at roughly 500 yards. Good enough for most of ya'll?

nice

Comment

• stanc
                  Banned
                  • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Variable View Post
                  True. I was going by the density of copper compared to lead (copper 8940kg vs. lead 11340kg --- in kilograms per cubic meter) that came out with copper being roughly 79% as dense as lead. Then I added back a bit for the copper monometal because of the conventional lead cored bullet's gilding metal jacket. It would likely be closer to your 86%, but then I deducted some more for driving bands and a larger hollow core.
                  Well, I figured the density of copper is probably a little different from that of gilding metal, and because the GMX already has driving bands, that factor is automatically taken into account.

Since the 120gr GMX (3rd from left, below) appears to have the same shape and length as the 140gr AMAX (3rd from right, below), I needed to do a very minimal amount of calculating.

Being lazy by nature, I took the easy approach and just compared the existing solid and jacketed bullets from Hornady.

Besides, I killed too many brain cells with beer and rum during my Air Farce days to do it your way.

Comment

• stanc
                    Banned
                    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Variable View Post
                    So I'm guessing if Hornady cranked out some monometal bullets with the same length and profile as the 123 Amax --- plus:

1.) a larger polymer tip
                    2.) a deeper & slightly larger diameter hollow cavity
                    3.) and some engraving bands...

We might end up with an excellent Grendel bullet that weighs over 90 grains, expands down to 1600fps (or less), and may have a BC around .400 or a tad higher. If so, it might perform a lot like the .300 Blk Barnes Tac-TX in expansion, and from a Grendel could do it at a longer distance....

And I'm also guessing Barnes could apply the same treatment to a similar profiled bullet with the same likely results....

Me want!LOL
                    I think there's a better chance of making all of that happen with Barnes, than Hornady. Looking at Hornady's polymer-tipped bullets, I couldn't find any with unusually long tips like that of the Barnes 110gr .308 TAC-TX. With Hornady, you may only get a shorter, lighter version of the 120gr GMX. But, it doesn't hurt to try.

I still agree with Sneaky on the usefulness of hard data from gel tests in presenting requests for Grendel-specific bullets to these manufacturers. The info generated by rickOshay, especially on the 105gr Sneaky LRX and 95gr Sneaky GMX, ought to be very helpful in getting the type of bullet(s) you seek made into reality.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                      Administrator
                      • Feb 2011

I know there's something to be said for pure velocity, and from a marketing standpoint high velocity figures look good on paper, but I'm finding that 100 grains has a stubborn hold on me. There's a little bit of practical consideration in that, too, since the new Wolf steel-case is 100 grains. Practice with Wolf, hunt with a more expensive 100gr solid?

And I still hate to give away BC, even though I know velocity is just as important at 500 yards and in.

Also, I figure if one wants to focus on 85 or 90 or 95 grains, why wouldn't one just settle on a 6mmAR (a 6.0 Grendel), and have even better BCs in those weights? I really do love that the 6.5 Grendel can go from 85 grains for prairie dogs to 140 (heck, 160) for moose, but I see its sweet spot at 100-110 for deer.

If you caught me in a weak moment, I think the lowest I can go for this lead-free concept in 6.5mm is 95 grains. Opinions?
                      :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• stanc
                        Banned
                        • Apr 2011

Concur on 100 grains being desirable. My preference for the slated testing would be for Sneaky to cut down some 127gr LRX and 120gr GMX bullets to 100 grains.

However, since that would mean additional work for him, and rickOshay already has Sneaky's 105gr LRX and 95gr GMX, I figured those would be "good enough" to get some applicable test data.

Comment

• txgunner00
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by cory View Post
                          Just send me a pile of them. I'll help you make some room. haha

[sarcasm] You are such a kind soul! [/sarcasm]
                          NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

• cory
                            Chieftain
                            • Jun 2012

[sarcasm] You are such a kind soul! [/sarcasm]
                            Anything for a friend.

So I'm in the 110gr +-5gr boat. We've got the Barnes 100gr TTSX, that's an exceptional choice. What would Barnes incentive be to produce another 6.5mm 100gr bullet? We don't have any options in the 110gr range. I'd like to see how that'd do in the Grendel.

Comment

• sneaky one
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

Johnny- we need to have a sit down soon. ROS must have sent you a pic of my baby- then you foto chopped it.

The items we are testing-- it's to keep this all simplistic ,is for the manufes. To change over to .

Gel testing, - The key ingreed , to actually see how it will penetrate.,, is only to start this Friday... So much to do, then plan a presentation to the horde, then the Manufactures.. We need a few weeks... We started this in jan., I started the initial tests in April, snow bank time here, then.

Time to gather great input, ideas, etc.

Yet, trust us- let our planned idea play out- it's too busy for a many of us is all.

Hanka jumped the gun , without even seeing my albums in advance of his posting of his idea

Keep the thoughts comin! I have the email on my spot.

I found out this wknd.,- many don't know how to see the albums. Good razzing that note was!

Be logged in, then click on the Avatar of the persons albums u want to see. Then scroll down to see albums, & More.,,, that's where they hide out. I have done all these bullets up- down & sideways for 5-6 yrs.
                              The newest additions , will be the lightened LRX pill, & the E- tips. We have been busy boys.

We decided tonite to wait on some pics , being presented tonite- we are not quite ready, have some patience. One of us is starting up a company, the other is drowning in requests for items. Actually , we will soon be drowning in requests , etc.

Hang tite. Good to be busy, yikes! The Gmx is awesome...... Later on the E tip.

Comment

• cory
                                Chieftain
                                • Jun 2012

Sneaky what are y'all using to simulate animal hide for the gel test?

Comment

Working...
                                X