Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah, thanks for the correction

Comment

The upper is an alexander arms 16 tactical- 16" barrel with a mid length gas system. The bcg appears to be a "full auto" our "m16" bcg. The buffer and spring are basic stuff.....part of a magpul moe package.

several weeks ago, I sent pictures to AA at their request after having these issues previously. Then, a couple weeks ago I spoke to bill alexander and explained everything to him. He was positive that it was an issue with the wolf ammo and that I probably had the older wolf ammo. He also suggested that I shoot other ammo and see if I have any other issues. I haven't shout any of the hornady ammo I purchased yet.

As far as the case gauge being off, that doesn't seem likely as the hornady ammo sits perfectly in the sheridan gauge. Also, the fire formed wolf brass seems to fit perfectly after firing too.

I suppose I'll try the hornady round and seewhat happens. If I have more issues,i guess it will be time to send the rifle to AA for inspection.

Comment

I also have a 16" AA barrel with Mid-Length gas, carbine recoil spring, M16 carrier, and a Spike's ST-T2 buffer. I have run older Wolf 120gr Soft Points through it with no issues, and re-loaded the brass, again with no issues, even running hot loads.

I would record that lot of Wolf ammo, and try a load with a lighter projectile or one that isn't known for trying to push the velocity envelope so much. Maybe the Hornady's will be ok, but something seems off with blown primers from Wolf. Of curse, Wolf is not known for being a quality ammo manufacturer, but a low ball mass-produced ammunition company, probably part of some scheme to screw over our ammo supply when they're the only game in town in the future, after brass becomes affordable only to those making over $250-$500k per year. Wolf uses PPI brass anyway for the Grendel and "Gold" line ammunition.

I've had nothing but problems with their steel-cased ammo, even in AK's. Seized cases in chambers is usually what they produce in every gun I've fired them in, to include 9mm Subguns, 9mm pistols, along with every AK and AR I've run them through.

Comment

• Budmccarroll
          Unwashed
          • Jun 2011

I also shot about 40 Wolf 120 soft points this past Saturday. I had about 8 of them not eject. I'm shooting an 18 inch Sabrel Defense, mid gas with a stock buffer. I just figured it was related to the buffer.
          Last edited by Budmccarroll; 08-09-2011, 11:53 PM.

Comment

• LR1955
            Super Moderator
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Budmccarroll View Post
            I also shot about 40 Wolf 120 soft points this past Saturday. I had about 8 of them not eject. I'm shooting an 18 inch Daniel Defense, mid gas with a stock buffer. I just figured it was related to the buffer.
            BC:

The Wolf 120 Soft Points aren't known for stellar performance so in your case, my bet is that it is the ammo. The MPT is much better ammunition.

LR1955

Comment

• Budmccarroll
              Unwashed
              • Jun 2011

I will run some 123 AMAX's through it tomorrow.

Comment

• Variable
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
                BC:

The Wolf 120 Soft Points aren't known for stellar performance so in your case, my bet is that it is the ammo. The MPT is much better ammunition.

LR1955
                My exact experience as well. The Wolf 123gr soft points pretty much suck. They are soft "bore fouler" extraordinaires, and the early brass was soft as well. I'm wondering if the stuff that is still for sale is old stock, or if Prvi is still making it in new lots. You would think if they are still making it, they could harden up the jacket alloy at least....

The Wolf 120 MPT loading on the other hand is of pretty reasonable quality for it's origin and price point. I have zero complaints with it. It runs 100% in my three rigs, and also the other ones I've built for friends/coworkers/aquaintences.

I haven't ordered or shot any of the latest lots of 120 MPT fodder, but I doubt they've backslid any on the quality. It ain't Lapua, but it ain't Lapua priced either!
                Last edited by Variable; 08-10-2011, 12:29 AM.
                Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

I've shoot lots of wolf MPT. It's cycles and fires really well in my Grendel and groups really similar to the SMK's I shoot. The brass (although softer) also reloads really well. That Wolf MPT is good to go as far as I'm concerned ....... especially for the price.

Comment

Working...
                  X