X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thedudeabides
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2016

Again, if you've not seen this, it should answer a lot of questions. As they say, a picture is worth a 1000 words. Its a great thread and well done; Discussion on testing media as well. Yeah, the testing is from 6.8, but relevant nonetheless.
    18" .264 LBC BHW fluted barrel

Comment

• rothirsch
      Unwashed
      • Nov 2015

Anyone have experience with the 120 gr Nosler e-tip? I've used them with great success in 30-06
      Ret. Air Force
      NRA Lifer, NRA Basic Pistol, NRA RSO, Deutche Auschlander Jaeger, IDPA CCP Novice

Comment

• SDguy
        Warrior
        • Oct 2015

expansion test

Originally posted by apynckel View Post
        What's a good way to test hydroshock with these boolits cruising around 2600 fps? I have a 123gr SST workup that I'd like to see how it expands. I'm assuming this is probably not feasible at a shooting range?
        my similar experience velocity wise from the 123 grain SST was shooting into a series of lined up gallon jugs like a milk jug filled with water. I used 4 jugs to insure to catch the bullet.

Results were no portion of the bullet made it to the 4th jug. 1st & 2nd jug blown up quite dramatically. 3rd jug in tact for the most part. bullet fragments in the 3rd jug. Essentially the bullet was not at all in tact. Near V-Max performance at 2600ish has been my experience with the 123 grain SST.

Clearly Ballistic jell would be better for evaluating hydrostatic shock. Just not cost effective for the average guy. If you are doing lots of testing needing true laboratory repeatability then the cost effectivness may improve with recycling of the ballistic jell.
        Last edited by SDguy; 10-06-2016, 09:01 AM.

Comment

• JASmith
          Chieftain
          • Sep 2014

There are various theories about the usefulness of hydrostatic shock for anchoring medium game.

It does seem evident, however, that the phenomenon becomes more significant as velocities go above 3,000 - 3200 fps. Hence I don't view it as important when discussing Grendel bullets for medium game.

See Volume 2 of the reloading handbook for bullet recommendations and a few gel tests.
          shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
          -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

Working...
          X