• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • keystone183
    Warrior
    • Mar 2013

Midway Mystery Blems

Somebody more knowledgeable than me will probably know what these are?

• bwaites
    • Mar 2011

Hornady 123 SST and Amax's, most likely.

Comment

• Joseph5
      Warrior
      • Oct 2012

They are Hornady SST bullets.

Comment

• Savage Shooter
        Warrior
        • Dec 2014

The Midway description says that the bullets "may or may not" have a cannelure". But it definitely says that the bullet has a plastic tip. And if it's definitely 123 gr. I think it has to be either a Hornady 123 gr. SST (which have cannelures and plastic tips and boat-tails) OR 123 gr. Hornady A-MAX bullets which do not have cannelures, but do have the plastic tip and boat-tail. the other bullets in 123 Gr. (Lapua Scenar and Nosler and Sierra) do not have plastic tips. I have bought Blems from Midway before (all identical to other Hornady products) and could not see any performance difference between the "branded" Hornady bullets and the Midway "blems". If I didn't already have 500 or 600 AMaxes and 200 SSTs in my cabinet, I'd jump at this offer!
        My "6.5" = 24" AA Overwatch upper 1/9 twist, NC based US Tactical lower, standard A4 6 position stock, AR Gold Trigger, JPS SCS buffer, Vortex 6-24 x 50 FFP PST with EBR-2C MOA reticle

Comment

• rickOshay
          Warrior
          • Apr 2012

Maybe they just missed the color spec on the tip.

Comment

• Savage Shooter
            Warrior
            • Dec 2014

Or discolored copper also. The .224 AMaxes and Vmaxes I have gotten before were all equivalent in weight variation and overall length (given the regular variations) and consistent BTO measurements, but had greyish colored tips rather than red and a few darker streaks on the copper on some of the bullets. But they shot to the same POA and within the same velocity spreads as the same loads (under .6 MOA) using full priced bullets.
            My "6.5" = 24" AA Overwatch upper 1/9 twist, NC based US Tactical lower, standard A4 6 position stock, AR Gold Trigger, JPS SCS buffer, Vortex 6-24 x 50 FFP PST with EBR-2C MOA reticle

Comment

• keystone183
              Warrior
              • Mar 2013

They actually have quite a few different proj's. Just search "264 Factory second". Also have what appears to be hornady 120 GMX? Part about the cannelure is boiler plate on all their seconds. Going to get a few of the amax's and see how they are....

Comment

• REB
                Bloodstained
                • Oct 2013

It states "A generic image of a similar bullet is shown" show the picture means nothing.

Comment

• EPeterson
                  Bloodstained
                  • Nov 2014

Thanks for the info. Going to grab a few. Midway is doing a promo right now and those 123gr apply for it.

Comment

• majbdrake
                    Unwashed
                    • Oct 2014

I bought 400 of the 6.5 100gr Midway Blems. Look like A-Max bullets.

Comment

• Savage Shooter
                      Warrior
                      • Dec 2014

Just got in 500 123 gr. "AMAXs" and 100 100 gr. AMAXs and 50 120 gr. GMXs. I haven't measured any for weight or bearing surface variations compared to "official" Hornady bullets, but a visual comparison showed the 123 gr. to have some discoloration "splotches" on the copper surface, but the tip colors were the same; the 100 gr. bullets didn't have any color problems, but there were some striations in the jackets on some between the plastic tip and the ogive. They were very faint, and not enough to be able to feel them with my finger tip in regards to depth, but they were visible. For the 120 gr. "GMX" bullets, I couldn't see any visible difference between the official Hornady 120 gr. GMXs and the "blems" that I got. Again, they could be out of spec for weight or something I didn't catch, but they were a great savings and I am betting they still will shoot more accurately than I can when practicing shooting in any position other than from the bench.

Comment

Working...
                      X