• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PA_Allen
    Warrior
    • Mar 2011

Earl,
    If you want to use the 100 TTSX, I would recommend 30 gr of H335 or 30 gr or XBR 8208. Work up to 30 gr to max sure these are safe in your rifle. Either load should give you over 2800 fps in your 24" barrel. I do not have any experience with the Vhitavouri powders, so I can not help you there. Either Lapua (or Alexander Arms stamped Lapua) or Hornady brass is fine. I try to use Hornady brass for my hunting loads so I don't feel so bad when my $1 brass flies off in the brush never to be seen again. Make sure you use a primer with a thick cup like the Rem 7.5 or CCI 450. Seat the bullets to magazine length and manually (slowly) cycle one to make sure your headspace and bullet seating depth is OK, then go slay some Whitetails.
    Best,
    PA

Comment

Hey PA -

You got another follower, I have a hog/deer hunt coming up soon and I was hoping Bwild's 129gr SST load with CFE223 would work for me but it didn't.

I happen to have 100 TTSX (100grs) and 100 Nosler BTs (120grs) so...

I went out and bought a pound of H335, the brass is in the wet tumbler and I hope to work up some test batches of the 100gr TTSX and hit the range later in the week. I hope I get results in the same ballpark as you.

BB

Comment

• PA_Allen
        Warrior
        • Mar 2011

Hi BennyBone,
        Start a little low and work up to 30 gr of H335 with the 100 gr TTSX. I hope it works great for you, and give us a range report later.
        Best,
        PA

Comment

Originally posted by PA_Allen View Post
          Earl,
          If you want to use the 100 TTSX, I would recommend 30 gr of H335 or 30 gr or XBR 8208.
          I'm using the same upper you've been running and have searched/read pretty much all of your load posts and and was curious as to what else you've tried 8208 with. I've narrowed my bullets down to 100 or 120 TTSX and 130 Swift Scirocco's using CFE223 based on other reviews but would really appreciate you input.

Comment

Hey PA,

Did your barrel get copper fouled with the Barnes TTSX ? If so about how many can go down the pipe before accuracy starts to degrade?

Need to know if I should take my push rod and solvent with me to the range.

BB

Comment

• PA_Allen
              Warrior
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by feetpiece View Post
              I'm using the same upper you've been running and have searched/read pretty much all of your load posts and and was curious as to what else you've tried 8208 with. I've narrowed my bullets down to 100 or 120 TTSX and 130 Swift Scirocco's using CFE223 based on other reviews but would really appreciate you input.
              Feetpiece,
              Sorry but I don't have any more combos with 8208 to share. I have only used 8208 withthe 100 TTSX, 100 NBT, and 120 NBT, and those loads are all posted already. I have not tried the 120 TTSX or 130 Scirocco in the Grendel.
              Best,
              PA

Comment

• PA_Allen
                Warrior
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Bennybone View Post
                Hey PA,

Did your barrel get copper fouled with the Barnes TTSX ? If so about how many can go down the pipe before accuracy starts to degrade?

Need to know if I should take my push rod and solvent with me to the range.

BB
                BB,
                No problem at all with copper fouling in my barrel. I have even mixed the TTSX, Nosler, and Hornady bullets all in the same range session with no ill effects. Never hurts to take your rod to the range, but you shouldn't need it.
                Best,
                PA

Comment

PA-

What were your group sizes with h335 and 120 gr noslers?

I also now see that you set them at 2.235 inches, why that OAL as opposed to mag length 2.260?

Thanks, i load tomorrow.

If h335 isnt suitable for the 120gr i can revert back to the barnes loads...

BB

Comment

• PA_Allen
                    Warrior
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Bennybone View Post
                    PA-

What were your group sizes with h335 and 120 gr noslers?

I also now see that you set them at 2.235 inches, why that OAL as opposed to mag length 2.260?

Thanks, i load tomorrow.

If h335 isnt suitable for the 120gr i can revert back to the barnes loads...

BB
                    BB,
                    I don't recall group sizes for H335 and the 120 NBT; that data is from 3 years ago. The groups had to be pretty good or I wouldn't have bothered sharing the data. H335 will work with the 120 gr class of bullets but you will give up a little speed compared to slightly slower burning powders. 120 NBT bullets jam in the lands of my chamber if I seat them to 2.26". I seat them from 2.235 to 2.25" for my barrel and check for proper chambering every time before I assemble a bunch.
                    Also, RickOshay has some nice H335 data with 123 Amax here

Being relatively new to reloading, I have been trying a variety of powders for the 123gr AMAX trying to reproduce the commercial Hornady ammo. PA-Allen posted nice data on his favorite loads and had a brief discussion with longdayjake on the effects of burn rate and barrel length: http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthread

Best,
                    PA

Comment

• Redraider
                      Warrior
                      • May 2012

Hi,

How would you expect these loads to translate to a 16" bbl?

Thanks

Redraider

Comment

There's a barrel length velocity estimator chart that JASmith made. Basically, you'll lose 18-20fps/inch of barrel length, with a pretty flat curve up or down with the Grendel from 10"-28" barrel lengths. I have a 16", and am often surprised at how much velocity I get, even with factory loads. Maybe I have a tight bore or something.

I can get 2527fps average with 120gr SMK's.
                        Precision Firearms 123gr Moly Scenar loads gave me up to 2582fps (that's 24" velocity)
                        I can run the 100gr NBT between 2675-2700fps.

Comment

Working...
                        X