130 gr + bullets are to big, urban myth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5 shots 139 gr scenars at 100 yards,

5 shots 142 gr SMK's at 100 yards

5 shots scenars at 200 , one flyer.

3 shots SMK's at 200 then I had the exctracter failure.

Here are pictures from my day, which started out great and ended prematurely with the three shot group at 200 yards and a broken exctractor. I was going to keep going to 300, which is the limit to the range I was at. I was getting 2349 with the Scenar and 2372 with 142gr SMK's. I do believe these bullets are working out.
    Last edited by Guest; 08-27-2011, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Using 30.3grs H-380 and 139gr privi bullets, I was getting 2305 FPS from my 18" LW bbl. I never put them on paper.

Comment

2305 from a 18" barrel with that bullet is pretty good.

I thought this post would draw more interest than it has though.

Comment

I thought it was pretty good. I wasn't sure what to expect from such a slow powder. I think the post didn't get the interest because it was covered pretty well in the old forum. I was just experimenting to see just how fast and if it would even cycle with H-380

Comment

JLK 130gr + VV N530

using my 22" 6.5CSS with JLK 130gr bullet at 2.29" (!), in VIRGIN Lapua brass, 205M primers and 27.6gn of VV N530, i get a velocity of 2517 fps.

Comment

I used fire formed IMI 7.62x39 cases, CCI large rifle primers.

Comment

Originally posted by penumbra View Post
                using my 22" 6.5CSS with JLK 130gr bullet at 2.29" (!), in VIRGIN Lapua brass, 205M primers and 27.6gn of VV N530, i get a velocity of 2517 fps.
                That is really good, us that a load you shoot often or just something you were trying out?

Comment

Haven't used it at all. I was just seeing what speeds I could get out of that long arsed bullet. I bought a bunch of them to do my first fire forming. I really thought the H-380 would be just too slow. I prefer shooting 100-120gr bullets out of it myself. Now my 6.5/300 WSM, I'm going to use 130gr VLD's if they shoot well. I just haven't had time to go out and put it on paper.

Comment

New to the forum...
                    My son just built a 6.5 Grendel, 18", 8 twist barrel.
                    While ordering the dies for reloading, I saw Midway had a sale on Speer Hot-Cors, 6.5, 140 grain soft points.
                    Didn't realize they might be a tad heavy for this cartridge...at half price I jumped on them...
                    They have a pretty decent BC- .433:

While he might, given the opportunity , take this long range- our usual range tops at 200 meters.
                    I understand that we're not going to get much velocity, but since I've got a few hundred of these, and we're just banging steel at short distance...worth a shot, or should I just chalk it up to a mistake, sell 'em, and get some 123's...

Can't locate any load data to start. Concern is bullet length/compressed load possibility? Suggestions?

Comment

They are going to be shorter than the 140's I'm running and will be fine inside 200 yards. I have been running LVR, but be aware there is no published or tested loads for that powder. I was shooting 140 gr Gamekings loaded with 30.5 gr of LVR, but that I think is hot and would not recommend it. Kick back a grain, also BL-C2 would be a good powder for the bigger bullets.

Comment

NR: what is your barrel twist rate? From what I have seen/read, heavier bullets will work much better on a faster twist rate barrel.

Comment

My barrel is a 1 in 8" twist.

Comment

Originally posted by Nimrod View Post
                            My barrel is a 1 in 8" twist.
                            thanks for the feedback! as you can see in a thread above your's, i'm trying to see how the different twist rates in the grendel affect accuracy with different grain bullets. i have some 130's i'm gonna try to see if their more/less accurate than my 123's.

Comment

• sneaky one
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

Tobnpr, I shot those in May . Over 24.4-24.7 grn. Tac. At 100 y. Not too shabby. Hit a 1.5" target on the sand berm easily with it. That's the few dozen I loaded for it. Nice recoil impulse too. A true watermelon killer!!! Doink-Doink. I have a 1-8 twist

Comment

Originally posted by in.dmand View Post
                                thanks for the feedback! as you can see in a thread above your's, i'm trying to see how the different twist rates in the grendel affect accuracy with different grain bullets. i have some 130's i'm gonna try to see if their more/less accurate than my 123's.
                                I hope 130 gr Bergers work for you they are a good bullet, but they didn't work for me, can't seat them close enough to the lands and still feed in a magazine. I was getting 1" groups at 100, but that ain't good enough.

Comment

Working...
                                X