• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PredatorDown
    Warrior
    • Jun 2014

Cut down a 120gr Barnes TTSX

This probably isn't what most of you are thinking! I was out walking around behind our 525yd permanent gongs a while back scouting for clearings in the trees where we could set up something further out and came across this! Looks like it had barely skimmed the edge of the gong and wound up about 40 yards behind it. I think it was about this time last year that I was shooting a few Barnes to work up a load for my cousin to take on an elk hunt.

• PredatorDown
    Warrior
    • Jun 2014

Here's a few direct impacts on AR500 steel at 525 yards:

Retained weights are between 32-61gr

Comment

• Predmilitia
      Bloodstained
      • May 2015

Pretty cool

Comment

• Variable
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

An "X" or "+" in the base? Cool.
        Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
        We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• OLd Man
          Bloodstained
          • Mar 2012

How did that work out with the elk hunting load? What was the best recipe that you found? I am sitting on a bunch that I picked up cheap. made up a latter test with CFE but haven't had time to shoot them.

Comment

• PredatorDown
            Warrior
            • Jun 2014

The x in the base is how I could tell which type of Barnes they were. The TTSX had the X, the TSX didn't. Interestingly enough, it seemed like the hollow point TSX consistently retained more weight than the tipped TTSX.

Honestly, it's been too long since I did the load work up. I never used to be too good at keeping track of load info. The only thing I remember is that I had a hell of a time getting them to shoot good. I eventually got them to shoot an inch at 100 yards, but most of them were about 1.75". He also never got to take a shot at an elk, so I don't know terminal performance

Comment

• Klem
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2013

I can feel the pain just looking at that...OUCH!

Comment

Working...
              X