• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PredatorDown
    Warrior
    • Jun 2014

Nosler 6.5 ABLR's

Well, what do you guys think I should hunt with these, Unicorns or Bigfoot? I honestly didn't think I'd see these things on the shelf anywhere for at least another year (about how long it took until I saw the 129 ABLR's on the shelf), but they were at the local Sportsman's Warehouse this afternoon! Apparently they're about as hard to find as unicorn farts or Bigfoot, so I'm pretty excited to see how they perform in the .260! I also gave a box to a friend who will be trying them out in his 6.5x284, and said he has another friend with a 6.5-06 that's been wanting to try them. I'll be sure to keep you guys updated on how the shoot, and how their real-world BC stacks up against their advertised BC of .719

• kmon
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2015

Wanting to try them out in the 6.5x284, also might be a great bullet in rounds like the 6.5JDJ in a Contender pistol

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
      Administrator
      • Feb 2011

I'm interested in seeing how that 0.719 BC plays out. Berger's best new hybrid 6.5mm 140 has a much sleeker ogive — just eyeballing it — and they only give it 0.618 BC.
      :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• PredatorDown
        Warrior
        • Jun 2014

I've got a box of 140 hybrids as well. I'm planning on trying a side by side comparison once I can get a load worked up for each. My plan is to do load development, zero one at 100 and then shoot at 1000 and possibly out to 1400. Then re zero the scope at 100 with the other load, and see what it does at 1000 and 1400 on the same day.

I'm a little torn on what to do as far as the loads though. Do I go for the most accurate loads of each pill, or do I try to find a happy medium where they're both respectable loads with the same velocity? I'm leaning towards keeping them at the same velocity so I can determine the difference in drop at range.

Comment

• cory
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2012

Originally posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post
          I'm interested in seeing how that 0.719 BC plays out. Berger's best new hybrid 6.5mm 140 has a much sleeker ogive — just eyeballing it — and they only give it 0.618 BC.
          What's the OAL of the two? I suspect the ABLR is longer and that gives it a bump.

There's a link somewhere here to some test that were run on the initial release of ABLRs. While other calibers seemed to be off the 6.5mm was right on the money in their testing.
          "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Adam Lilja
            Warrior
            • Dec 2013

It's not .719 in reality

Comment

• kmon
              Chieftain
              • Feb 2015

If the 142gr LRAB is as close to the advertised BC as the 129gr LRAB is according to Applied Ballistics it will be a winner.

Cory, Ithink that it the previous reference you were talking about. Haven't seen the local guys that work for AB lately but a going to ask them about this bullet when I do.
              Last edited by kmon; 06-02-2015, 02:59 PM.

Comment

• cory
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2012

That is it! Look forward to hearing his response, even if this bullet would never be feasible in a Grendel. Haha
                "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• kmon
                  Chieftain
                  • Feb 2015

Length is pretty close between the 2
                  Berger 140gr Hybrid 1.430 inches
                  Nosler 142gr LRAB 1.450 inches

Looking at it more I bet real world numbers are more in the .612 to .620 G1 BC area.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

The ABLR's have aggressively long boat tails, which forces them to increase the OAL of the pill in order to keep BC high. That long boat tail helps out a lot with the BC. After Bryan Litz's analysis of the initial ABLR's, that adds more confidence for me in the numbers on the 142gr, but I wouldn't be surprised either way.
                    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• sneaky one
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

Iv'e shortened a few of those from a 129 grn. - No feedback yet. Somebody should try a few of those 142's in the Grr.

Comment

• PredatorDown
                        Warrior
                        • Jun 2014

I still haven't loaded any rounds to try in the 260 yet, but tonight I decided to at least take a couple of measurements comparing it to the 140 Berger Hybrids.

Average length of the ABLR is 1.433", while the Hybrids average 1.399.
                        Average length base to ogive of the ABLR is 0.834", Hybrids are 0.725"
                        Boat tail length on the ABLR is 0.197", Hybrids are 0.174"

I might be willing to send a few to one or two members to try in the Grendel if they want. Preferably to get some info for grendeldata. I'm not comfortable enough with my own reloading knowledge to attempt it. I almost wonder how they'd do subsonic/suppressed?

Comment

Working...
                        X