800 yard Shooting at a local Range, 6.5 Grendel.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • usmcm16a2
    Warrior
    • Aug 2015

800 yard Shooting at a local Range, 6.5 Grendel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Folks,

Went to the range today. I took my 24 inch J&T Distributing 1:9 twist, stainless barreled rifle. Type II chamber. Addax Tactical lower with a CMC 2 stage trigger 2lb 1st , 2lb 2nd.
    The load I was using was a hand load 123gr Amax, 31.2gr CFE-223 COAL of 2.24 inches, 2550fps. My scope is a 12x42MQ Super Sniper. 200 yard zero.
    The conditions at the range were clear and windy. Wind out of the North East at between 7mph to 20mph. But I was able to shoot the steel from 100-800 yards. With the wind, blowing from right to left, 700 yard and 800 yard shots were tough. Had to hold between .25 to .5 mil to the right.
    The Super Sniper is a mil quad reticle. 800 yards was about 7 Mils, and 700 yards at 6.4 Mils. It was some of the hardest shooting I have ever done. At those distances the wind was unpredictable. My best string was at 800 was about 3 hits out of 7. Love the Grendel. Really enjoyed my time, when there is less wind I will try out the 900 and 1000 yard steel. All comments are welcome. A2
    Last edited by usmcm16a2; 11-30-2015, 05:44 PM.
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

That isn't much windage at all. When you start getting into 1-2 mils of windage, then you know it's blowing.

Do you have a scope level by any chance?
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• usmcm16a2
      Warrior
      • Aug 2015

LRR,

These were guesstamates, I was straining to maintain target, winds were erratic. I will check out the scope to see if it is level. I also had to repunch my gas tube roll pin. Noticed that I has gas blow by on the front of the gas block, and some carbon build up. The block is the one that came from J&T with the barrel and bolt. It is centered correctly and the 4 allen screws are secured with red permatex. Thanks as always, A2

Comment

• Savage Shooter
        Warrior
        • Dec 2014

Originally posted by usmcm16a2 View Post
        LRR,

I will check out the scope to see if it is level.
        I think what LRR was referring to is an anti-cant level mounted on your scope so that you can be sure that your rifle is level for each shot as cant at that distance can cause significant point of impact shifts. If you are not familiar with this problem, this might be helpful: http://www.accurateshooter.com/optic...int-of-impact/ I have Vortex bubble levels on most of my varmint and long range guns, but there are many others available. http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/...e-bubble-level
        My "6.5" = 24" AA Overwatch upper 1/9 twist, NC based US Tactical lower, standard A4 6 position stock, AR Gold Trigger, JPS SCS buffer, Vortex 6-24 x 50 FFP PST with EBR-2C MOA reticle

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by usmcm16a2 View Post
          LRR,

These were guesstamates, I was straining to maintain target, winds were erratic. I will check out the scope to see if it is level. I also had to repunch my gas tube roll pin. Noticed that I has gas blow by on the front of the gas block, and some carbon build up. The block is the one that came from J&T with the barrel and bolt. It is centered correctly and the 4 allen screws are secured with red permatex. Thanks as always, A2
          You typically see gas leakage from the gas tube/gas block hole going to the rear. When I do a build, I seal that area so that no leakage can occur.

The scope level will help eliminate any windage misses at distance. Just a degree or two can throw your shot off, especially as you start to get out from 300yds. When I do a scope and mount install, I level everything, and guns meant for shooting distance get scope levels.

You can use a poor man's method by getting one of the el cheepo little levels from Home Depot or Lowe's, tearing out one of the levels, and Shoe Gooing it to your mount or upper.
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• pdq5oh
            Bloodstained
            • Jun 2015

I shot recently at a very nice range here in Ohio with steel to 1 mile. I had to give 12-16 min left windage at 1000 yds & still missed way right some shots. Some shots only 6 or so min was enough. Way more fun than punching paper.
            Phil

Comment

• M60gov20
              Bloodstained
              • Jul 2015

What's the name of the range, what area in Ohio?

Comment

• pdq5oh
                Bloodstained
                • Jun 2015

M60gov20, It's Thunder Valley in the Kimbolton/Plainfield area. Coshocton is the closest town of any size. They're open this weekend 10-5. Plates at 200, 300, 400, 500, 600, 700, 800, 1000 & 1760. Benches and prone platforms to shoot from. I'll be there one day or the other.
                thundervalleyprecision.com
                Phil

Comment

Working...
                X